Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Exclamation 1977 Itasca question

I recently purchased a 1977 Itasca and am having trouble switching from the 12 volt power that will only power the lights, to the 110 that powers the A/C and outlets.
mamaperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Are you plugged into shore power?

If you are plugged in, your AC circuits should work with no difficulty. Have you tried your generator?

If you are not plugged in or running the gennie, your AC circuits will NOT work, unless you have an inverter installed by a previous owner. Inverters (which change 12v DC to 110 AC) were not standard equipment on rigs of your era.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

yes, to both.

They both work when connected to a shore line. I also have a generator for other times, though. The generator is working properly, but even when running, there is no power to the A/C or outlets. It is almost like there should be a switch somewhere to switch to 110 power.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

No, there is no "switch".

12 volt should always work since you have both/either charged batteries and a converter (which converts 120vAC to 12vDC when your plugged in, just the opposite of an INverter).

Your issue is that your generator, even though its running, is not delivering AC power to the coach.

Your Itasca may have a set-up in which you have to plug the power cord either into the generator OR into shore power.

Look carefully at the generator; does the big power cord coming from the generator appear to be hard wired into the coach or does it terminate in an outlet (where the power cord could go)?

Alternately, is there an outlet in/near the bay or area where the power cord is stored that it could plug into?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Talking Thank you!

I went to the compartment where the power cord came out, and low and behold, an outlet! I plugged it in, and on kicked the A/C! Thank you so much for this small bit of advise. Without it, I can only imagine the amount of money someone would have charged us to test and "fix" the wiring in our RV. In short, THANK YOU!!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yay! Glad it was an easy fix.

The best part is; I only charge one cold adult beverage per consultation (pay me when ya see me!)

Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Senior Chief, you actually saved me as well, as I was having the same issue. I have another question as well along these lines...I have a 1992 Four Winds that i just bought from an Estate (so no one was able to walk me through the ins and outs of this). I have no issue with shore power or with the generator. However, no lights etc will run when i'm not plugged in nor running the generator. I assume this means that i don't have an inverter. Does this sound right? I have looked all over for a switch of some sort and can't locate one. My deep cycle battery has a full charge, and when I throw a meter at the wires coming into my panel the reading is approx. 14v. Any thoughts?
Bygolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygolly View Post
Senior Chief, you actually saved me as well, as I was having the same issue. I have another question as well along these lines...I have a 1992 Four Winds that i just bought from an Estate (so no one was able to walk me through the ins and outs of this). I have no issue with shore power or with the generator. However, no lights etc will run when i'm not plugged in nor running the generator. I assume this means that i don't have an inverter. Does this sound right? I have looked all over for a switch of some sort and can't locate one. My deep cycle battery has a full charge, and when I throw a meter at the wires coming into my panel the reading is approx. 14v. Any thoughts?
my moho has a coach battery switch located on the aft wall of the stairwell. it operates a solenoid that connects or disconnects the coach batteries. all my lights are 12v with the exception of the microwave oven lights.
when i am plugged in to shore power, the lights will work from the converter. my converter charges the batteries only when the battery switch is on.
my modified sine wave inverter is small and changes 12v dc from the batteries to 110v and is used to operate the tv and entertainment equipment front and rear.

Electrical Tutorial
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygolly View Post

However, no lights etc will run when i'm not plugged in nor running the generator.

OK, first understand that you have 2 separate electrical systems in you coach.

First, the 110 volt AC side, which runs your air conditioners, microwave, standard outlets and the 110v side of your 2-way refrigerator, energized by shore power or generator.

Second, you have the 12 volt DC side, which runs your light, drinking water pump, vent fans and 12 volt (cigarette lighter-style) sockets, energized by your batteries.

These systems criss-cross by using a CONVERTER, (which was standard equipment in your coach) which changes shore/generator power into 12 volt DC, both to charge your batteries and run your lights while plugged in.

The other criss-cross is an INVERTER (which you probably do not have) which allows you to use battery power to run some 110 volt AC stuff like your TV and small appliances.

Now, if your 12 volt lights work when plugged in (meaning the circuits themselves work fine from the CONVERTER downstream) and your house battery charges while plugged in, the problem is not in the converter.

Does your water pump run? Any other 12 volt sockets run?

Have you opened up the power distribution panel? There will be 2 parts to the panel- the AC side, which will have breakers similar to your house, and the DC side, which will have fuses.

If none of the 12 volt circuits work on battery, than the issue is probably somewhere between your house battery and the power distribution. You will need to find the heavy power wire running FROM your house battery to the power distribution box, and check first for good connections and second for voltage coming into the box (you said you have good voltage at the battery itself, correct?)

**Not meaning any disrespect, but make sure that its the HOUSE battery and not the chassis battery you're testing.

Tags
itasca