Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
unclescratch

Red face 12v power to inverter

I only have 12v power to my inverter when on shore power. 30amp fuse is O.K., no power to it either except on shore power. 2 coach and 1 chassis batteries good w/full charge. Any thoughts?? Wiring diagram shows 12v power comes from "Battery Disconnect Relay", but does not indicate 'where' that relay is located, or what energizes that relay.

While we're here, there was a heavy (10ga?) purple wire plugged into the circuit board but clipped off at the end and lying inside the inverter. Appeared to be a (redundant?) ground that wasn't needed? I took it out completely.

Also, this investigation started when the inverter did not work while the output 120v was connected to the receptacle in the upper left hand cabinet above the driver. When I abandoned that circuit, the inverter worked nicely !!!

Now that I am putting everything back together, suddenly my 12v power supply became inconsistent.

2003 Adventurer 33V Workhorse 22
unclescratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Okay, one point at a time to start sorting?

The battery disconnect relay is what you use to cut off power from the coach batteries to much of the Rv items, like lights, vent fans, water pump and it is a pretty vital item to know about. There will be a disconnect switch at some point in the Rv, often near the door???

Another big item to know is the Mode solenoid, which is the gizmo which connects the two battery strings together at different times for different reasons. I mention it because it is often a handy way to find the disconnect relay as they are almost always alongside each other because they are so involved!
When the start battery is weak and needs a bit of help, there should be a momentary switch on the dash labeled "boost" or "aux" which pulls the mode solenoid and you can often hear the "clunk" as it pulls the contacts together. One way to find them is to listen while somebody hits the switch!

I might guess at or very near the batteries?

But first, before searching out where, make sure you have the disconnect switch turned on as it makes lots of things work!

If reading what you are saying right, on the second part, it would make it sound like there is a short circuit in the wiring, etc. where the inverter output was plugged if it worked after you disconnected that part??? We might need to think about that some more, though, to make sure what you are saying is what I'm hearing??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disc relay.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	180460  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
Site Team

I believe on your model the "Battery Disconnect Relay" is the "Aux Battery" switch in your step well.

Also there is an inverter on/off switch located in the tech cabinet.

Here's a web link to your operator's manual PDF:

https://www.winnebago.com/Admin/Publ...Adventurer.pdf

Here's the info from your Owner's Manual:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.21.50 PM.png
Views:	50
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	180461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.21.24 PM.png
Views:	59
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	180462  

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.17.34 PM.png
Views:	44
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	180463  
Old 08-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

A bit more info from the drawings on where and what to look for on the mode solenoid and disconnect relay are here.
Click these to get a better view.

Somewhere you should have a panel labeled as shown and behind that panel is what you would expect as shown next.

The disconnect relay has three control wires. If you need to look for trouble on it, I think it will show as the wire marked with blue arrows as coach battery coming in at left and out at right.

I "think" the wire marked LJ will be battery with the other two being to control the relay, one to engage and one to disengage. (LG, LH)
This is a latching type relay that once the switch is pushed and the relay moves, it stays in that position (latches?) until the switch is pushed the other way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	labels.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	180465   Click image for larger version

Name:	disconnect.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	180466  

Old 08-09-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
unclescratch

12v power to inverter SOLVED

After all my efforts, I cleaned-off the di-electric grease I had applied to my major ground connections and now my electrical system is working very good. THANK YOU, GOD !! (and helpful members on this forum).
unclescratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:44 PM   #6
unclescratch

This little tidbit was 'very' helpful !!: "One way to find them is to listen while somebody hits the switch!" Thank You !
Old 11-26-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescratch View Post
After all my efforts, I cleaned-off the di-electric grease I had applied to my major ground connections and now my electrical system is working very good. THANK YOU, GOD !! (and helpful members on this forum).
^YES!

Quote:
Dielectric grease
Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I don't know if I've ever run into "dialectric grease" or not as the "standard " for my group has always been No-Ox-A which is a "speciail grease which is conductive, so I've never looked further.

https://www.amazon.com/NO-OX-ID-Spec...85242409&psc=1

It seems pretty expensive at first thought but if it keeps me from havingto fight corrosion on things like battery cables, I think of it as cheap!

It comes out as pretty thick and hard to work but I often have a trouble light nearby when doing battery work, so if I lay the little plastic tin on the light for a few minutes and then use a small paint brush to swab it in a thing layer on all the parts before and after putting things back together, it makes a really thin layer which will keep and air out and avoid all corrosion. I like the thin layer that works over the thick which can get all over me when checking water, etc.
I first got into No-Ox from the old Western Electric days-----way back before dirt !

Tags
inverter, power