Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

12v fridge off grid?

Hi there,

New owner doing a lot of boondocking and trying to run the 12v Dometic fridge on a 2100bh without shore power or generator for multiple day trips. Looking at the cost of serious solar upgrade and wonder if it’s worth it. Has anyone installed enough solar/battery power to run one of these fridges? Might be cheaper to just replace the fridge with dual fuel model?

Thank you for any input!
TTMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are several threads on this topic:

https://www.google.com/search?q=12v+...nnieowners.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=12v+...nnieowners.com

Depending on how much wattage you install, solar can be cheaper that replacing the refrigerator. Even if you did replace the refrigerator, you'll want solar for many other reasons if you're going to frequently camp without power. Solar isn't as expensive as many think it is and can be DIY if you have some pretty basic skills. In addition, you'll want a battery upgrade even if you don't do solar.

What's your current battery situation?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the input and sorry for repetition. I should have searched forum more diligently. I’m running a battle born 100amp/hr lithium. I’ve only got the 100 watt panel that came with the rig right now, but was considering an additional 2 panels at 190watts each and an additional battery. Significant investment, so I just wanted to see what others had been doing.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
Site Team

With an increase in battery storage capability and a portable generator you'd be all set.

Adding solar to the mix would shorten the amount of generator run time you'd need, but not totally replace it.

The trailer was available with either an RV fridge (dual fuel) or a 12v fridge. The easy answer for boondockers is to get the RV Fridge model.

If your TT came with one group 27 flooded lead acid battery then spending ~$500 for 2-Group 31 AGM 12v or spending ~$200 for 2-Golf Cart 6v batteries would seriously increase your power reserves.

One Group 27 battery has between 65 and 85 amp hours depending on the battery your dealer installed. It's likely the dealer added a cheaper battery so, let's say you have 65 amp hours of battery.

Dumping that battery for either 2-Group 31 12v AGMs or 2-Golf Cart 6v should increase your battery bank to about 200 Amp Hours or even slightly more.

As you can see, 200 amp hours is a huge increase over the likely 65 amp hours you have now.

Thing is, even with a big investment in solar you are going to need a portable generator to top up your batteries when boondocking for anything longer than 3 or 4 days.

Don't get me wrong, solar power is fantastic - it's just not the reliable, always available charging option that makes owning a portable generator totally unnecessary.

PS. Outside of the power issue for boondocking, in general, the 12v fridge is the preferred option. It's larger and works better as a fridge.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMN View Post
I’m running a battle born 100amp/hr lithium. I’ve only got the 100 watt panel that came with the rig right now, but was considering an additional 2 panels at 190watts each and an additional battery.
Wow, OK then. sort of ignore what I said. 200 amp hours of Lithium and 400+ watts of solar and you should be good for quite a while.

If you are adding 380w of additional solar be sure your solar charge controller can handle 480w.

However, I think you'll find you will always need a backup way to charge the batteries. Not that much obviously, but the sun doesn't always shine and folks like to prefer camping under the shade of some trees.

In your case I'd say unless you're trying to boondock for multiple weeks without running any generator that you are on the right track.

You've got a good plan for living off-grid with that 12v fridge.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the input and sorry for repetition. I should have searched forum more diligently. I’m running a battle born 100amp/hr lithium. I’ve only got the 100 watt panel that came with the rig right now, but was considering an additional 2 panels at 190watts each and an additional battery. Significant investment, so I just wanted to see what others had been doing.
You'll need to check out the size of your solar wiring to see how many watts it can support. The same is true for your controller. If you camp in areas where you feel safe in leaving it out, a portable panel (100W - 200W) may make sense. It's more of a hassle but can be situated for optimal sun exposure.

Note that your 100Ah Battle Born battery can supply approximately as many Ah as 200Ah of conventional batteries.

My priorities would be:

1. More solar, possibly starting with a portable. The portable will always be useful and can always be sold if you decide it's not working for you.

2. Additional battery power if you determine you need it after adding solar.

Also, when you're boondocking, think "camping" not "RVing". Conserve your power, turn off unneeded lights, try not to use your inverter if you have one. Turn off the TV, etc. Use a portable lantern outside. Your heater is another power hog, so check out a safe LPG heater like a Little Buddy or an Olympian Wave.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the input. I would opted for the dual fuel fridge if I had the option, but it was all they had coming in this year and I didn’t really have a choice. I have battery anxiety! and I just don’t want to worry about running out and food going bad, but it’s expensive with a new controller, inverter, panels, etc! I think I’ll staring adding incrementally starting with the second battery. and see if there’s a happy medium at some point. Thanks so much for all of the feedback everyone! This is such a great way to find info from actual users!
Old 08-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I would opted for the dual fuel fridge if I had the option, but it was all they had coming in this year and I didn’t really have a choice.
Yes, either the dealers ordered or the factory just did it but it seems there are nine 12v fridge equipped Winnebago TTs for every one with an RV Fridge.

In fact, we've even heard of folks ordering their TT from the factory just so they could get a RV Fridge and when it arrived it had a 12v fridge.

Back when we started RVing in 2002 our TTs all had RV fridges and we'd never heard of "boondocking". But we "dry camped" all over Wyoming and Idaho. It seemed like there were hundreds of small, remote forest service campgrounds with pit toilets and zero services. We had two 12v Marine/RV "deep cycle" batteries and never even came close to running out of power. The TVs and DVD players were all 12v, too.

It wasn't until we started needing A/C that we got our first (of two) Honda generator.

Now, today we have 300w of solar, 400 amp hours of house batteries, 2000w inverter, two A/Cs, a washer/dryer, two bathrooms and a 5500w of electric start, auto start generator. Things have certainly come a long way.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Are you enjoying camping more, that is the question.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hi there,

New owner doing a lot of boondocking and trying to run the 12v Dometic fridge on a 2100bh without shore power or generator for multiple day trips. Looking at the cost of serious solar upgrade and wonder if it’s worth it. Has anyone installed enough solar/battery power to run one of these fridges? Might be cheaper to just replace the fridge with dual fuel model?

Thank you for any input!
We just spent the last 4 days in Acadia NP Blackwood’s Campground. No hookups. The key to boondocking with the 12v fridge is the fridge settings. Do not use Silent mode. It consumes way too much power. If you use Eco mode, your frozen foods will defrost. So, use performance mode; either level 2 or level 3. When it’s cool outside, the fridge will use about 35ah/day. When it’s hot, like over 80F, try to use your awning to shade the fridge, but the fridge will use 40-45 ah/day. With 170ah, in a pinch, we can go 2 days with no solar input, and no generator.

We have a 170ah battery. And we have solar, which was useless because it was overcast the whole time, and heavy tree canopy. We had to run generator every other day. But we have a high amperage charger, so generator run times were short. Acadia has short generator run hours, but we got plenty of juice.

If you don’t have at least 150ah of battery, you will be plagued by this fridge. Solar is great, but when you don’t have sun, you’ve gotta have a generator. We use a propane generator. It’s quiet and thrifty on fuel.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
We have a 170ah battery. And we have solar, which was useless because it was overcast the whole time, and heavy tree canopy. We had to run generator every other day. But we have a high amperage charger, so generator run times were short. Acadia has short generator run hours, but we got plenty of juice.

If you don’t have at least 150ah of battery, you will be plagued by this fridge. Solar is great, but when you don’t have sun, you’ve gotta have a generator. We use a propane generator. It’s quiet and thrifty on fuel.
What kind of batteries do you have? The OP has a 100Ah Battle Born LiFePO4 battery which is roughly equivalent to 200Ah of conventional or AGM batteries depending on how far one can down their conventional/AGM batteries before the voltage level becomes too low.

Lithiums will also charge faster, making solar charging more efficient:

https://www.power-sonic.com/blog/lit...cid-batteries/
Old 08-24-2021, 02:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We have a 170ah BigBattery LiFePo4.
OP will find 100ah is simply not enough for the compressor fridge.
We do not have dc to dc alternator charger, so charging while driving is minimal.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We do not have dc to dc alternator charger, so charging while driving is minimal.
Thanks, so we are comparing like to like.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Why is that? With the chassis alternator putting out about 14 volts I would have thought that that should provide plenty of voltage for a partially discharged lithium battery to charge pretty well, at least until it got up to 80-90% charged.

Have you installed the Li-BIM 225? That should provide full alternaor charging voltage about half of the time.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:06 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I would think that charging from a tow vehicle to a TT is much less efficient than with a MH. It's too long of a run for very many amps, plus the charging current has to go through the trailer plug hook up.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:29 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

To install dc to dc from tv to tt is not easy and rather expensive. Requires thick wire through loom from tv alternator, and HD connectors. OP has a TT. I’m going to opt for more solar, this time on the roof so I can charge while driving.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

More than I ever thought I would! Just did a trip to
the back hills and boondocked with a buddy that knows what he’s doing. I am now hooked and just don’t want to be beholden to outlet if possible.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:26 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I am now hooked and just don’t want to be beholden to outlet if possible.
It's definitely possible, just "do it".

The nice thing about all this is that it can be done incrementally. Your additional battery is your biggest single expense. Adding solar panels one by one is easy and inexpensive if you can DIY.

Home Depot has a good selection of solar panels from different manufacturers online.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:34 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

DW and I regularly dry camped with 400 watts of solar in our Winnebago Fuse and that had a Demetic DC compressor fridge. We almost always were able to fully recharge our batteries during the day since the fridge itself only used about 100AH of power for the entire 24 hour day and our solar often generated much more than that. We rarely had to run our generator and then it was usually for the microwave.

However it depends upon where you live (that is, how much sun you get), the time of the year (that is, how high the sun is) and, of course, how much other power you use. We live in southern Arizona so that might have some impact on our figures.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge