Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #61
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Travelers View Post
Don't know what AGS is, so I'm assuming we don't have it. :-)

AGS - Automatic Generator Starter
My coach didn't have it either, it was my 1st Mod. I had Dealer install for me after the sale. They have newer wireless units now that you can install yourself and work with your phone, but I like what I have and would not want to access my phone to deal with my generator.

This is exactly what I have

Since we travel mostly in relatively cooler months, we normally crack open the side windows by the beds and run the roof vent fan to pull air through the RV while we are sleeping. Most of the time that's sufficient for our needs. The main problem is on the occasions when we do stay at a campground, apparently there is an unwritten rule that everyone else around us has to have a campfire and we wind up sucking in a lot of smoke.

Smoke from a Ring fire has happened to us twice. Hard to complain when others are just having a good time, but it was a real nuisance

We also have a couple of battery-powered fans in case it gets too hot. One can be charged via a USB connection and the other either AC or a 12V adapter.

If it is HOT, I am gonna run my AC(s) period. There is absolutely no exception for me, if no shorepower, and they say I can't run my genny, I am leaving.

We rarely run our generator. The RV is 5+ years old and according to the generator info on the control panel it's only got 41 hours on it.

This explains a lot to me. only 8 hours per year We bought our RV new and I try to use genny as much as possible but I only have 280 hours after 3 years. So I am averaging a tad above 90 hrs / year.

Speaking of which, I need to dig out the generator manual and figure out what kind of maintenance it needs. I know it's lubricated by oil and I'm sure it's long overdue for an oil change. I don't recall if it has an oil and/or air filter so I need to follow up on those items, preferably before hitting the road again. And I know it needs to be run occasionally when we aren't on the road.

5 years old you need check and to change oil, oil filter and air filter. I do all of the above once a year. But check manual and they also have instructions on the generator air filter cover.

Since we never use the heater (actually, we have used it one or two nights when the temperature dropped below 40F) I actually don't recall if the generator has to be running or not. Probably not.

No genny required to run heater unless you have portable electric heater inside the coach? We carry one. If at campsite with shorepower, I plug in electric heater and save my propane,

I'm surprised your propane lasts that long. When we tried running anything off propane (generator, cooktop burners, heater or refrigerator) the propane seemed to be consumed pretty quickly. We have a 16-gallon propane tank which I'm guessing must be a lot less than what you have available.

We have 18 gal tank and due to 80% fill limit actual is less than that. Sounds like you have propane generator? But even so with only 8 hrs/year that can't be a factor. The only way for our propane level to drop is to use the heater for 3 or 4 nights in a row when it is very cold. I do use it for fridge often, but never worry about running out of propane. I just don't like propane if I can avoid; and will run fridge off shorepower, generator (gas), or batteries when possible.

I read somewhere that relatively frequent maintenance is required for an RV refrigerator if it's run on propane. With RV shop labor rates running close to $200 an hour around here I'm leery of doing so. So we bought a decent cooler and just get a bag of ice every 3 days or so.

I have a Mobile Tech and will ask him about this next time I need him, there is certainly some maintenance for Propane Heaters and Propane Fridges, I have not done. I doubt is frequent though?

Perhaps the old batteries were just too worn out and I was overly cautious about running them down. Maybe we could run more stuff off the new ones. I can tell you that when a machine that is helping keep you alive quits in the middle of the night, it puts quite a scare into you and you start thinking about worst case scenarios and how to conserve energy. And naturally, if the 12V goes out I do have a decent backup battery that will run the CPAP machine for at least a couple of nights. It can be charged via AC, 12V or a solar panel.

You now have 2 new AGM 125ahs (you have plenty of capacity), Keep your batteries over 12.4vdc and you will not have to worry.

And since our RV doesn't have solar, I also purchased a 100W portable solar panel just to charge the backup battery in case we break down and are stuck somewhere for several days.

This is fine, but you could also just use your generator I have No solar and No trickle charges etc etc. My AGS ensure my batteries will NEVER go below 12.4vdc

Speaking of breaking down and being stuck somewhere, we frequently tend to travel in rural areas where there is no cell coverage. We are pondering buying a satellite phone for emergency use. I know very little about them. We would likely only need limited minutes per month but even those plans are fairly expensive.

I have been told Starlink Internet for RV has coverage everywhere. I don't have it; it is way too expensive for me. Besides, I have never been anywhere YET where we could not stream TV using our T Mobile Home Internet Plan. $50/month. So the day may come where there is no service? I suspect where ever that may be, it may be obvious to me to not have expected service there anyway? We never spend more than a few days days at one location anyway.

And by the way, thanks for all of the help and advice.
My opinions are above, just my view from what I have learned in last 4 years. I am always open to new ideas; but I don't just yield to things that are done because the sales guy says so or if the masses may view it has the next new shiny thing. Show me something that does what I want and save me money, and I am onboard
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:18 AM   #62
Winnebago Master

I don't know where you got the idea that propane refrigerators require frequent and expensive service.

I've had three Propane/120V AC, Norcold absorption refrigerators over the years (two TTs and my current 2002 motorhome).

Other than my own routine service, making sure things are clean, no spider webs in the burner area, no propane leaks, etc. I've never had any of them serviced and they've been trouble-free. None of this requires a service technician or any special DIY skills.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 12:07 PM   #63
Winnebago Master

Frequent maintenance for the frig is a sales gimick more than what most of us would call it needed/required.
Yes, we need to look at the backside every once in a while to see it is kept free of too much dirt orother debris.
You have electronic boards and those work best if they can stay cool and somewhat clean.
If they get so covered they may overheat or begin to short things, sweep it off!
DUH! Don't let the paper label fall off and land where it can catch on fire,so worth looking once a year or more!
Once in a while, using something like a leafblower to shoot air up the back side to keep things open there is a good plan.
Second, make sure there are not wasps, spiders or mud daubers getting in the vent or other parts where the gas needs to flow. You can clean them out but I find it makes more sense to put screens over any vent like the frig, furnace, water heater. Lots easier to keep them out than find and clear them after things fail???

Mostly just look at it once in a while.
Things that look good work longer!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:50 PM   #64
Winnebago Owner

RE: frequent and expensive service when running the refrigerator on propane, I read it on the internet so it must be true. :-)

Last I checked, Starlink was indeed pretty expensive ($99 a month) and only available in fixed locations. Supposedly being able to work anywhere was on the horizon (bad satellite joke) and perhaps is already available. Perhaps Wi-Fi calling on cell phones will work with Starlink, which would be very useful.

We have been somewhat surprised by the lack of cell service in a lot of places, of course most of them rural. For example, we spent a lot of time traveling in WV and cell service is very spotty, even near some of the main roads and interstates. Ditto for eastern KY on the interstate heading into WV.

We've stayed at campgrounds in Land Between The Lakes and rarely have cell service. We spoke to rangers at both the south and north entrances and they confirmed cell service is spotty.

Due to health issues as well being unable to fix most stuff on the road (even tires, which are far too heavy for me to deal with at this point), having some sort of communications capability is very important to us, thus the interest in a satellite phone and service.

Tags
battery