Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy 120 volt receptacle problem

1997 Adventurer. The 120v receptacle between the kitchen sink and stove has stopped working. I have the diagrams, but wonder why all other outlets work, except this one. Is it possible to pull a new wire and is it connected in the junction box under the refrigerator?
stormincb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I am not familiar with your exact coach ... but generally Winnebabo motorhomes have two GFI's ... one for the outlets on the right side of the coach ... and one for the outlets on the left side ... both of mine are located in the bathroom area ...

I think you will probably find a tripped (or maybe faulty) GFI that is causing your problem ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Can't see your wiring diagram to find out whats on the branch circuit with that faulty outlet...but would agree that this outlet 'might' be either a GFI, controled by a GFI breaker in the breaker panel or possibly down stream of a master GFI located in another location.

It's possible that the outlet could also be bad if not GFI controlled or a breaker tripped, have seen it before. Before running a new wire...I would pull the cover on the outlet and if necessary pull the outlet and check for voltage at the wire terminals on the outlet....USE CAUTION....as they may be hot.

I use this Non Contact tester for tracing and testing when troubleshooting some problems.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Normally we would say you should check your GFCI outlets to see if one has been tripped.

However in this case I will amp that up a bit

That outlet *IS* Protected by the GFCI outlet in your coach, (No question about it, that one is a GFCI outlet) you will need to locate the GFCI and reset it.

All outlets in the Kitchen, bath and the external outlet are GFCI protected, ONE of them is often the GFCI, itself (They daisy chain,, Like this

Breaker box====GFCI===OUtelet====Outlet===Outlet

Sometimes it's under the bed, sometimes it's hidden, heck even teh circuit breaker COULD be the GFCI (Rare in a MH)

But you have tripped the GFCI
Old 07-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Many (most?) manufacturers including Winnebago use receptacles that use insulation displacement to make the connections.
That means they do not strip the wires or cut them but just remove the outer covering of the romex and then push the wires into V shaped slots that push the insulation out of the way thus making the connection.
If the receptacle in question is between two others that are good then I would suspect the wires are no longer making good contact in the receptacle.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

stormincb- Agree with others. Find the GFI, it might be down near the floor. That's surely your problem. Just reset it.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Might not be the GFCI if only one outlet is affected. It may also be in series with the outside entertainment GFCI.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had the exact problem Clay mentions above- cheap outlets designed for fast assembly that do not make good positive contact. Ours was on a Safari Trek.
The outlet in question didn't have 110, was after a GFCI that wasn't tripped, but the next outlet beyond on that circuit had 110. It took a close inspection to see that the insulation wasn't cut well when the factory pushed wires into the Vee of the contacts. I pulled it apart & did a proper strip-off of insulation for maybe 1/8th inch, then smashed it back together well. Never had a problem w/it after that.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you to all for your responses. I have studied the wiring diagram and now know that a GCFI is involved and it may be under the refrigerator in a junction box. However, I will also pull the romex from the dead outlet to see if that could be the problem. I'll pass along the fix.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Here's one other possibility as it just happened to me. These Winnebago outlets are nothing like your home outlets. As other have posted, the romex is simply squished into a "V" that makes the electrical connection by cutting the plastic insulation on the wire. Also, where the appliance plugs in, there are two pieces of spring metal with bends in them. When the plug prong enters the outlet, these spring metal connectors, spring back to allow the prong to enter and set within the outlet. On my 97 Adventurer, these spring metal contactors broke at the bends in the metal making the appliance plug slip in and out with no tension on the prong. No electrical connection either. Basically a dead plug! The wires were hot, but not the outlet. Total replacement of the outlet was the cure.
Hope this explanation made some sense, hard to spell out, better to visualize.
Good luck.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Still looking

I have removed the CP panel, so I could remove the junction box (JB) beneath it. I stripped the wires in the JB and also the outlet. I also have found the outlets at the entertainment center outside and the external outlets to be dead. SO, I am on the hunt for the GFCI that controls that side of the coach. The wiring diagram hasn't been much help in that hunt.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

The GFCI's are usually integral with one of the outlets. I'm not sure just which model of the Adventurer you have, but according to the wiring diagram for the G34RQ, for instance, the right-hand side GFCI appears to be the galley outlet at mid-height to the left of the fridge.

If you can tell me which model you have, the diagram for your model should tell us where to find it.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Model is G34RQ (1997)

Chris,

I have the wiring diagram and the 3 receptacles that are dead are according to the diagram detail protected by a GFI and it suggests it's the receptacle between the sink and stove. However, it isn't a GFI receptacle like the one in the bathroom and neither is the external entertainment center or external receptacle. I have removed the stove to acces the wiring, I have removed the back-panel of the ext. ent. ctr., but I can't find a GFI. Maybe if I go to the parts catalog, which numbers every item, I can find it. It's very frustrating.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

In my coach the GCFI outlet that controls the one you are having trouble with is at the front end of the sink cabinet. Look for the red reset button.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormincb View Post
Chris,

I have the wiring diagram and the 3 receptacles that are dead are according to the diagram detail protected by a GFI and it suggests it's the receptacle between the sink and stove. However, it isn't a GFI receptacle like the one in the bathroom and neither is the external entertainment center or external receptacle. I have removed the stove to acces the wiring, I have removed the back-panel of the ext. ent. ctr., but I can't find a GFI. Maybe if I go to the parts catalog, which numbers every item, I can find it. It's very frustrating.
It looks like it should actually be on the end of the counter by the entrance. That's consistent with the post immediately above this.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Ditto Cyko. Look in the stairwell on the sink cabinet sidewall. That's where my passengerside GCFI lives.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

A little embarrassed!

Maybe a lot of red-face. Well, it wasn't the wiring diagram that solved the problem, but the parts catalog. The fact is that every time we entered the coach, we walked right by the GFI that was "popped". Above the hand-rail, just inboard of the rocker switches for lights, is the GFI that was the problem. So, this morning, I can put everything back together and next time, I will know where to find it. As soon as I looked at the diagram in the parts catalog I knew what a "dummy" I had been, so at 11:00PM, I went out, reset the breaker and of course the outlets are now working. What an experience.
Thanks for all the threads. Hope somehow it helps somebody else down the road. Somehow using AMSOIL didn't help in this situation.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

A little embarrassed!

Maybe a lot of red-face. Anyway, at 10:00 PM last night I went to the parts catalog and it only took about 30 seconds and I saw the GFI that was the problem. It's on the left as you enter the coach, inboard of the 3 light switches above the hand-rail. I immediately went to the coach, reset the GFI and of course the dead outlets now work. Sure put myself to a lot of extra effort using a wiring diagram to try and find something that was so obvious. If it had been a snake, it would have bitten me - several times. Oh well, thanks for all your efforts and maybe this will help someone else down the road.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

The one with the red face should be the idiot who hid the thing, not you. However now you know.

One trick you can use is this.

MOST GFCI units have a red light that glows when tripped (I know for a fact some it glows when it's set, but those are rare)

So, visit the rig in the middle of the night, turn off all lights and look for the little red "Star", now light it up and see if it's a GFCI.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

At least its easily accessible. I've found that if I instruct the wife, she will always be able to "remind" me where something important is.
Safari used to hide the GFI in the basement, where you amy or may not be able to get to it after packing. Sweet.