Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-14-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

12 volt or 110 volt. Which is it?

Hi! folks. My wife and I are new to the forum. We have down sized and purchased a Micro Minnie 1706 FB. My question; Does the TV that came
with the trailer operate on both 12 volt and 110 volt? I'm able to operate the TV on 110 volt, but if I disconnect the shore power from the trailer the TV fails to work. The batteries are fully charged, so there's no problem with getting the 12 volt power to the trailer. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Fotobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotobum View Post
Hi! folks. My wife and I are new to the forum. We have down sized and purchased a Micro Minnie 1706 FB. My question; Does the TV that came
with the trailer operate on both 12 volt and 110 volt? I'm able to operate the TV on 110 volt, but if I disconnect the shore power from the trailer the TV fails to work. The batteries are fully charged, so there's no problem with getting the 12 volt power to the trailer. I would appreciate any suggestions.
I do not know if our Fuse has the same TV as your Minnie but our TV is an AC TV. To operate it off of the batteries if you have no AC you have to turn on the inverter and that will supply enough AC from the batteries to run the TV.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:46 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Check the power cable on your TV. Does it end in a regular outlet or does it have a power brick attached to it? If it has a power brick, check the label for output voltage. I have two TVs; one is wired for 12V and the other for 120V. Although the larger model has a power brick and could be run from 12V if I wanted to.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f61/12-volt-or-110-volt-which-is-it-353085.html#po

Thank you! I'm still trying to remove the TV from the wall in order to look at the back. I recently purchased a used 2017 Micro Minnie 1706FB. The owners manuals did not seem to mention the Jenson TV that came with the trailer, so I had nothing to reference to. My old 1997 Prowler had a 12volt cigarette lighter style recepticle located next to a 110volt outlet and a cable recepticle. This made it easy to utilize both sources of power.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The factory televisions in the Micro Minnie are 110V. Ours does not use a brick so can't readily be converted to run off of the trailer 12V supply. Unless you replace it your only option to run the TV when boondocking is to install an inverter.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

AC TV. Buy a fanless 12 VDC to 120 VAC inverter that can do about 100 watts for $ 20. Current TVs draw well under 50 watts so you can use it quite a bit without draining your battery.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f61/12-volt-or-110-volt-which-is-it-353085.html#po

Thank you to all that responded to my thread. A big big help. After I realized my TV operated on 110 volt only, I've decided to run wiring from the back of my Jensen Radio to the area of the Jensen TV and install a female cigarette lighter receptacle and a 100 watt inverter. You guys are great. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
Itasca Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotobum View Post
Thank you to all that responded to my thread. A big big help. After I realized my TV operated on 110 volt only, I've decided to run wiring from the back of my Jensen Radio to the area of the Jensen TV and install a female cigarette lighter receptacle and a 100 watt inverter. You guys are great. Thanks again.
Most RV's have a 12 V outlet somewhere near the TV since the booster switch for the antenna is often combined with the outlet plate. If you are running wire, make sure that you use larger sized wire since the longer the wire run, the more voltage drop you will have. You need the voltage drop to be a max of 3%, so with a fully charged battery your voltage at the outlet should be not less than 12.2 V. When the voltage drops too low, the inverter will begin to chirp and will eventually trip it's built in circuit breaker.

Wiring for AC circuits does not have the voltage drop issue, so you may be better off having the inverter as close to the batteries as possible and run an extension cord to the TV.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt