Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

12 volt interior lights out. Battery Disconnect Switch

I just went through this and had some great help from other members and would like to make it easier for the next person this happens to. Read this thread and check out the links. They were a great big help. Particularly the link to the solenoid pictures to see the fuse and the solenoid information sheet that describes how it works.

The link to the original call for help.

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ct-351109.html

A link that describes how the solenoid works. Thanks to l1v3fr33ord1

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electr...disconnect.pdf

First off, this has nothing to do with the boost solenoid switch at the drivers seat for switching your house batteries to assist starting the engine.

This is all about the "salesman switch" or house battery disconnect switch by the door. If you don't have lights and the switch isn't working here is what i would do.

Undo the screws holding the switch in place and remove the connector from the back of the switch. It has a little locking clip so remember to push it in to release it.

With the connector off you now have access to test for power, ground and to switch the solenoid so you have house power. I would also recommend this as a first step because it is easier and safer then accessing the box the relay is in.

With a volt meter set to dc volts find a good ground for your black lead. Test pins #3 and #4 (the numbers are written on the back of the connector) You should have 12 volts. If not go down a bit where I talk about what to do.

If you do then switch your meter to Ohms and test for ground at pins #1 and #6. Be very careful doing this as you could touch pin 3 or 4 with 12 volts. If you have good ground switch the meter back to dc volts.

If you have power and ground you can now test the solenoid by putting ground to pin #2 and 12v to pin #5 (open the connection by doing the opposite. See the attached link on the solenoid). This should close the solenoid.

If it doesn't and you have done this correctly I'd say the solenoid is no good.
If it does and your lights come on I'd say you have a bad switch or LH or LG wire.

If you don't have V+ power on pins #3 and #4 then it is probably the fuse. Before doing anything else disconnect the negative leads from your house battery.

My solenoid box is located by the right front wheel in a small compartment. very difficult to work on.

Pull the outer cover and (YOU HAVE DISCONNECTED THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINALS RIGHT?) undo the two #20 torx screws and pull the inner cover off. You can now see the two solenoids in the back.

Take a look at the link below that shows you a picture of the solenoid and where the fuse or fuses are. The left fuse is for the switch power the right fuse, if you have one, is for the LED indicator light in the switch.

This is a link to the picture that shows you where the fuse is.

https://rvchassisparts.visonerv.com/.../M120609/s1.pl

Reach up and pull out the fuse. You might be able to see if its blown but if it isn’t obvious test with a meter or just replace it with one you have tested previously. Always test your fuses for continuity before installing them. There are too many cheep products out there.

And thats it. Hopefully you have solved your problem with this info. If you haven’t ............ Well let me know what went wrong and how you fixed it. And again, thanks to those that helped on the original thread.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, battery, battery disconnect, light, lights, switch