Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cool 110v shore power drop out

HI. winnie 2001 journey 36'...just happen 3 times. plug into 50a or 30a and a few hours later no 110vac inside at all. the power display shows 30a connected. the amps is dark no "0". what holds the automatic transfer switch in the shore position? AC volts comming IN or DC volts for the relay(s)? cant see inside the box. drove home and plugged into my 30A and few hours later NO 110vac inside. AUX batteries 13v charged? chassis battery 10 to 12v is about all it shows. why would the 110v 50a comming in have anything to do with the batteries??? thanks joe
joeastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The transfer switch is held in the shore power position by springs and when the generator puts out it's AC voltage it pulls the transfer switch relay to the gen position.
I'm sure if you google the model of transfer switch that you have, you'll get a wiring diagram.
I'm gonna guess that you have loose wires somewhere. Most likely in the transfer switch. Usually a red handled square screwdriver to all the wire hold down screws is all you need to do
Certainly nothing to do with the DC systems.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I must say this. Make sure the coach is NOT PLUGGED IN to shore power, nor is the generator on when you poke around in the transfer switch case. (Big Grin)

Stan
Old 05-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

transfer switch parallax ats 5070

hi. i ordered a new 5070 transfer switch.. the winnie is old. 2001. i had to replace the swtich in my southwind 2000 last year. yes loose wires inside the box? i have had that happen on my house 150amp box, which was not expected. years of surge amps must
kick the wire around and loosened the hold down screws. i will try and remove
the old box or the cover soon. i got the schematic from earlier forum listing. thank you joe
Old 06-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

hi. it is not the tansfer switch.. i got a new one.. but i opened the old cover. i plugged in
the 110vac 30amp plug at home.. is see 110vac on the inputs, and the relay output to the Load wires is 110vac. BUT I HV no 110vac in the rv anywhere.??

110 input, 110 on load wires.. so relay is in shore postiion. it did click the first time i
plugged in the 30amp plug. winnebago 2001 journey DL.. this is a lemon year for this rv.

so. next i will remove 50amp circuit breakers and check continutiy and check if the RAILs
show 110vac,

if the circuitbreaker box shows 110vac.. where would you look next??

thanks
joe
wb6dco
Old 06-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeastro View Post
hi. it is not the tansfer switch..

so. next i will remove 50amp circuit breakers and check continutiy and check if the RAILs
show 110vac,

thanks
joe
wb6dco
Don't actually remove the 50 amp CBs at first. Just take the cover off and put your voltmeter on the screw that holds the wire down on the 50 amp CB.(one probe on the white wire and the other on the CB screw) If there is no voltage, select the CB to OFF and then ON again. It could be OFF and the switch position not be obvious. Of course repeat the procedure for the other 50 amp CB. If you are plugged into a 50 amp service, you will get 220 volts when you put your voltmeter probes on both the 50 amp CBs at the same time At least that will determine if the current is travelling as far as the CB panel. I'd also look for loose screws on each of the CBs including the 50 amp ones. If there is still no voltage, then remove the 50 amp CBs and put the voltmeter probes again on the white wire and on the 'bar' underneath where the CB was. There are NO connections or switches between the 'bar' and the transfer switch.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

hi again. winne 2001 journdy dl...all wires show 110vac from the relay in shore position input wires to the load outputwires and on to the circuit breaker box. the dual 50amp breakers have 110ac on the input and if i turn on all 5 small 110ac breakers that would go to all the rv internal plugs..they show 110ac on the output post...

BUT I HAVE NOTHING IN THE RV.. no plugs show power and no cfgi show power so you cant reset them.!!!!!

and it would appear that the model 610 EMS intellitech controller only works with 12vdc.. monitors amps IN on the white master wire, shows the correct plug 50a or 30amp, but no 12vdc on charger to AUX batteries. ALL lights work they are all DC.

so i dont think the EMS has anything to do with 110ac? DOES IT?? any one know for sure??

thanks joe power lost
Old 06-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

HI gang. 2001 winnie the pooh right now.. no 110vac out of the inverter bearker panel?
the diagram for 110ac in my 36l winnie shows 30amp breaker in the main box..and 110vac
comming out the wire in the bottom of that breaker. BUT NOT A THING on the input to the inverter breaker panel 30amp INPUT at the bottom of the breaker wire....nothing. so
that is why i have nothing 110ac on any sockets.

everything else works.. but i have no 110av to 12v dc charging.. the panel lights up and goes out.

this leaves the question of what is this inverter breaker panel doing? what does it

go to? to what box where in the RV? has to be close to that area?

on the diagram out of the 30amp main is a small box that shows NC and NO
so it must be in NO or is burned out and the contacts burned of NC? normallyclosed.

could there be a switch somewhere i dont see? hidden by the batteries? or hidden
in the transfer switch area?

anyone got any idea?

thanks

joe
Old 06-09-2018, 02:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

HI again. we are down to the inverter charger box? freedom 15 with remote panel in the galley panel area.

i have 110vac going into the inverter NC/NO thing. dont know if that is a relay or temperature automatic reset switch??? i have no 110vac from shore going past the NC/NO to the inverter panel breakers... no 110vac after that to any plugs.

so.. we are not looking at the inverter / charger. i will attempt to do a full reset. i will remove the battery cables + side to the inverter and reconnect some time later.

it appears that i might have actually pushed the INVERTER or POWER SHARE button.
it ran the batteries down so far that the charger shut off? but we were plugged into shore power 50amp.. but still lost all power to sockets in the rv.. and this power has not returned with all the disconnected of the batteries and filled the batteries with water they were low. we have had problems with the charger boiling the water out??!!

maybe time for new inverter/charger like the 458 version.

no breakers or the push brakers on the inverter have gone OFF.. so why dont i have

shore power through the inverter in normal non use mode??

thanks
joe
Old 06-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeastro View Post
hi. it is not the tansfer switch.. i got a new one.. but i opened the old cover. i plugged in
the 110vac 30amp plug at home.. is see 110vac on the inputs, and the relay output to the Load wires is 110vac. BUT I HV no 110vac in the rv anywhere.??

110 input, 110 on load wires.. so relay is in shore postiion. it did click the first time i
plugged in the 30amp plug. winnebago 2001 journey DL.. this is a lemon year for this rv.

show 110vac,

thanks
joe
wb6dco

Hi Joe. I have a couple of thoughts about this common complaint. One... You have a tripped or defective GFCI. Two... With the shore power disconnected, the generator CB off and the inverter off, test to make certain that you have no voltage in the breaker panel. Now, tighten EVERY terminal screw. This includes the ATS. Make certain that the shore cable is not damaged internally. Test with an ohm meter from each plug terminal to its mate in the ATS.

Another thought is about the Power Management System. You could have a failure with it. Check out the wiring diagram in the Winne Resources for your coach as a guide to follow.

Look forward to hearing what the gremlin is that is causing this problem.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Check the wiring from inverter to load center. Panel at bottom of Freedom 15. The power worked, then it didn't. . Mine were cooked after years of use. The wire nuts were melted. Too many hours of operating a 50 amp system on a 30 amp shore supply. I clipped the wires until there was shiny copper, and reterminated.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

inverter charger not doing anything good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Hi Joe. I have a couple of thoughts about this common complaint. One... You have a tripped or defective GFCI. Two... With the shore power disconnected, the generator CB off and the inverter off, test to make certain that you have no voltage in the breaker panel. Now, tighten EVERY terminal screw. This includes the ATS. Make certain that the shore cable is not damaged internally. Test with an ohm meter from each plug terminal to its mate in the ATS.

Another thought is about the Power Management System. You could have a failure with it. Check out the wiring diagram in the Winne Resources for your coach as a guide to follow.

HI.
there is no 110vac on the gfci's.. so cant reset them. the 110av that would go to the 2 gfci's.. bathroom and galley get 110vac from the INVERTER/charger ciruit breaker panel.and that has no POwer at all.. so not the relay, not the main breakers, not the EMS, not anything before the 30amps 110ac is supposed to go down a black wire
to the inverter under the floor..

the inverter does not seem to want to go back into shore power!! you can set it from the remote galley buttons.. that did nothing.. something is stuck in the inverter that passes 110vac onward into the RV...

so replacement is next.

thanks
joe
Old 06-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

My 2000 Horizon is wired like this.
Out of the transfer switch are two 110 lines.
One goes to the main CB box.
One goes directly to the charger/inverter.
If you basement air works then the 110 is passing through the transfer switch and the large CB box.
If none of your coach 110 plugs work since there are multiple GFCI then 100 is not getting to the small CB box.
There is a 30amp CB in the large CB box that output feeds the small CB box.

It is unlikely that all the CBs in the small CB box are bad so I'd verify that the 30amp CB in the large CB box is good.

If it is good then I'd suspect the Freedom 15 charger/inverter.

The Freedom 15 has 110 input line and 110 output line. Check the voltage on both the input and output side. If 110 is on both lines then the problem is most likely not the Freedom 15 but after.

I have owned this coach since new (18 years) and have replaced my Freedom 15 years ago experiencing the same problem that you are having.
I replaced it with the Xantrex Freedom 458 and it failed. I replaced it with a Triplite RV1512UL and it blew 3 transistors, smoked and failed. Finally got tired of replacing a charger/inverter when only one feature failed so I bought a separate 2000 watt inverter and 75amp charger.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

This is how I confirm if my inverter has failed.

Disconnect 12+ to the inverter.
Disconnect shore power.
Generator Off.

Remove the 110 input line at the inverter and label it.
Remove the 110 output line at the inverter and label it.

Temporally connect the 110 input and output lines together with wire nuts.

Check if the inside receptacles are working.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamole View Post
This is how I confirm if my inverter has failed.

Disconnect 12+ to the inverter.
Disconnect shore power.
Generator Off.

Remove the 110 input line at the inverter and label it.
Remove the 110 output line at the inverter and label it.

Temporally connect the 110 input and output lines together with wire nuts.

Check if the inside receptacles are working.

Great explanation. This is exactly what I did when my inverter failed many years ago on another coach. Good stopgap measure when waiting for the new inverter to arrive.

Tags
power, shore power