Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Just got back from a month trip, parked in the back yard, plugged shore power into patio receptical (20 Amp), and had a small electric heater going in the coach. Plugged in a coffee pot, wall meter went to 18 Amps and before I could turn anything off it tripped the house breaker. Re-Set the house breaker, patio light and rear kitchen light came back on, - But no 110 current in the coach. Checked all the breakers at the foot of the bed by tripping and resetting each on, still no 110V. Got battery power. Started generator and everything 110V works in coach, including my plug-in volt meter I have at one of the outlets in the coach.
Never had this problem in all my RVing years. Is there another master breaker someplace I'm not familiar with? I thought all 110 breakers were at the foot of the bed.
Any help, suggestions?

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Just got back from a month trip, parked in the back yard, plugged shore power into patio receptical (20 Amp), and had a small electric heater going in the coach. Plugged in a coffee pot, wall meter went to 18 Amps and before I could turn anything off it tripped the house breaker. Re-Set the house breaker, patio light and rear kitchen light came back on, - But no 110 current in the coach. Checked all the breakers at the foot of the bed by tripping and resetting each on, still no 110V. Got battery power. Started generator and everything 110V works in coach, including my plug-in volt meter I have at one of the outlets in the coach.
Never had this problem in all my RVing years. Is there another master breaker someplace I'm not familiar with? I thought all 110 breakers were at the foot of the bed.
Any help, suggestions?

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 12-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Did you check the Ground Fault Receptable.
I had a similar loss of power issue and really had to push the resets hard with a small flat blade screwdriver to get it to reset.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Is it possible that you do not have power at the 20 amp outlet?
a) is that outlet downline from a GFI in your garage or basement?
b) is the outlet defective?
c) is there a loose connection on the outlet?

I suggest you plug your volt meter into the outlet to make sure you have power coming from the outlet ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

do you have power at the house outlet? be sure
Old 12-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sorry, no problem now. Found out the 20-30 Amp adapter I was using at the patio receptical must have shorted out on the inside. Hunted up another adapter and everything is working fine. Sorry I hollared before checking everything. I have used this receptical many times but never with this particular adapter. The one I normally use was out in the garage and too lazy to go get it. Live and Learn, especially with RVs.
Wagonmaster2
Old 12-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Kix -excellent suggestion, that was the first thing I did after getting my voltmeter out.
Wagonmaster2
Old 12-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Might add, when I checked for current at the receptible the adapter wasn't on it, it had remained on the end of the power cord, another oversight of mine. When the receptible checked okay, the adapter should have been my next check. But its supposed to be close to freezing tonight, and guess I was running in circles wondering how I was going to keep heat in the coach without 110 power. Thank you all for responding.
Wagonmaster2
Old 12-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Wagonmaster ...

You figured it out and solved your problem in 21 minutes ... that is not a record ... but a $%?& good average!!!!

And in addition you gave me (and probably others) a chance to think about RVing when our rigs are winterized and tucked away in storage ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Don't you just hate winter? We spent September and 2/3 of October in Colorado, a week in Arkansas, a week in the Smokies, 2 weeks in Gulf Shores, Alabama followed up with a final week in Arkansas. Now only have to look forward to winterizing the rig. Would really be nice to stay in the South someplace for the winter but when you have a house, and I'm sure many of you can relate to this, it must be taken care of in freezing weather.
Wagonmaster2