Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Location: SD Resident; place in Green Valley AZ, and Mission TX
'11 Ellipse QD - no satellite TV in bedroom

No satellite TV in the bedroom in my new-to-me QD. I've traced the wiring (composite RGB plus 2 audio) from the control box to the bedroom, but I can't see that they are attached to the TV. I follow the wire bundle back into an opening in the wall behind the lowest right-of-the-TV drawer (below wardrobe) but have no idea where they go from there.
Am I missing something, or shouldn't this wire bundle just be connected directly to the bedroom TV?
Any experience? More places to check?
Thanks in advance for any help.
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:44 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

Had same issue. You need to connect the RGB up front to your receiver. The tv in the bedroom needs to be in aux 1 or 2 . Are you using 1 receiver or 2. When it gets light out I will go outside and double check mine. When I purchased mine the previous owner had things all Micky Moused for what reason I don't know. Everything now works great.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I use Dish receiver VIP211k (just one). I bought a RGB to HDMI converter to make the attachment. Front TV works fine. Switch box is set to SAT for all TVs.
Like you, there seems to have been changes made in the bedroom. The wiring is all set for a second receiver, which is what I suspect first owner had.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had the same issue with my 09Journey. Winn supplied an RGB cable from inside the rear wardrobe to the bedroom tv. I had to run a new RGB cable from the main entertainment center with the RGB switcher back to the wardrobe and connect it to the cabling to the TV. There was also a coax connection there to the roof. I installed a Winegard Traveller and hooked up the three coax cable. The third coax went to the cabinet to the right of the front TV. Good luck.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info, Bob.
It appears that the RGB cable bundle goes from the front entertainment center (as best as I could see using a flashlight and a mirror to look behind the box), but back in the bedroom, the cable comes out from the floor along with several other wires and three coax cables, then the RGB bundle runs into an opening in the wall behind the bottom drawer under the right side wardrobe. They clearly don't connect to the TV, but I can't trace them any further. I thought there may be a converter box somewhere that has become disconnected, but can't locate anything.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:54 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

In my 2010 Journey, the bedroom TV was connected to the antenna & cable connection from the factory. I just had to select which type was to be used on the TV for finding channels.

In the cabinet directly under the bedroom TV, there was a coax connection labeled Satellite, and an RGB connector panel. I plugged a DISH receiver into the coax for satellite signal input, and then used the RGB connectors from the receiver to the RGB panel, to connect to my TV. (was all hooked to TV by the factory)

Then I tested the input source on the TV until I located the proper one to receive the RGB from the satellite receiver. The key thing to know, was that I needed a satellite receiver just for the bedroom TV.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for your information.
In my case I'm trying to receive the signal from the front satellite receiver and not use a second receiver. The second receiver connection setup is there in the bedroom but I don't want to have to use that second receiver. So my search for an answer continues. If I could just figure out where the RGB cable bundle goes after it re-enters the wall opening could move me forward.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Update:
Today I disconnected the bedroom RGB bundle RCA plugs from where they went back into the wall and rerouted them into the wiring capture going to the TV, fished them up and connected to the TV and Vwhala! (or however you spell it) satellite in the bedroom.
The surround sound doesn't work as described in the operator manual in the bedroom (or the front TV for that matter) but I got it working using two remotes, one for the TV, one for the radio/DVD that controls the surround sound (but I haven't solved the front one yet)
The manual says to select variable audio output. This coach has three Samsung TVs and none have that feature??
I'd still like to know there those RGB wires that enter back into the wall went??

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Final update: After disconnecting the RGV cabling where it re-entered the wall under the bedroom wardrobe and connecting to the bedroom TV (which gave me satellite in the bedroom), I lost all signals to the main front TV.
So, now I know where the cable bundle goes when it re-enters the wall; all the way back to the front TV. Only thing I can figure out is some brain scientist decided it was better to run the cables all the way to the back to enter the big slideout rather than entering in the front, then going back. Double length of wiring? I guess I'm just smart enough to have it make sense.
Now, I wonder where the RGV wires that come out of the front switch box for TV 3 go? I didn't find them in the back.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Regarding surround sound, other coaches are probably different, but in my 2010 Journey, the surround sound is connected through the DVD player.

Works great if you are getting the TV signal from the DVD Player. I have been told by another with the same coach, that if you put in a plug into the headphone speaker jack, you can get the surround sound working in our mid TV (a 40" RCA unit), by choosing settings carefully. We have four TV locations, haven't really made the attempt to really figure it out.

I think it will work, just haven't worked hard on figuring out the proper settings, between the TV switch box, the satellite receiver, through the DVD player, and finally to the TV's themselves.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Post final Update: I solved the rear TV satellite problem by installing a RGB and an audio LR splitter at the point where the cables entered the wall. With a 6' RGB/LR cable I connected that to a component to HDMI converter ($20 on Amazon). I then connected the HDMI converter cable to the rear satellite receiver HDMI connector (on the wall in the wardrobe). Works like a charm and can be switched back to a rear receiver simply by unplugging and reconnecting the original HDMI cable (5 minute job).

Thanks for all the comments. Hope this helps someone else.

Tags
satellite