Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

100AH Mighty Max LiFePO4 -$550

I just noticed that both Walmart and Sears have a 100AH Mighty Max LiFePO4 (ML100-12LI34) on sale for $550 (list $950):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12V-100AH...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12V-100AH...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have no first hand knowledge about these one way or the other and neither site has reviews.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I did find this, not encouraging discussion on Will Prowse's DIY Solar Forum:

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/mi...7/#post-180263
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

These ongoing posts on “bargain” lithium ion scare the crap out of me. In my trailer the batteries are under the bed. Saving money on a component that will likely kill you if it enters thermal runaway is not a good idea. If you need lithium ion, buy a battleborn or other name brand battery with a real BMS.
FlyingBiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

No issues with thermal runaway with lithium phosphate batteries in an RV. A smartphone being charged on the dash or table in the sun is another story.

The problem with waking up a overly discharged lithium-phosphate battery requires a different procedure depending on the manufacturer and at least with Lithionics they have this documented. Of course if you overly discharge a lead acid you may find yourself having to replace the battery entirely.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

There is a difference between “much less likely to thermal runaway” and “no risk of thermal runaway”. LiFePo are much safer but risk is not zero
FlyingBiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBiskit View Post
These ongoing posts on “bargain” lithium ion scare the crap out of me. In my trailer the batteries are under the bed. Saving money on a component that will likely kill you if it enters thermal runaway is not a good idea. If you need lithium ion, buy a battleborn or other name brand battery with a real BMS.
Why should it scare you? To my knowledge, there are no documented incidents of thermal runaway of LiFePo4s on rvs or boats. If you know of a single incident, post it here, otherwise it should be considered on undocumented opinion. In the past, before LiFePo4 the Li batteries sold for trolling motors and other non-RV uses had recorded fires. The two battery types are not the same chemically and should not be confused.

Telling people they need to buy BattleBorn in order to be safe, is kinda like telling everybody they are in danger if they don’t drive a Volvo. My opinion is my Subaru which has more safety awards than Volvo is perfectly safe. By the same token, my opinion is that non - BB LiFePo4 batteries which are quality made, with a good BMS pose less danger of thermal runaway than starting your car in the morning. If BattleBorn is suggesting otherwise, they are just spreading marketing propaganda. My battery can only be considered a bargain because BattleBorn prices are so outrageously high. But I suppose it’s worth it if you want the best. Some of us can be happy with a Winnebago. Proof that everybody doesn’t have to buy an Airsteam.

Making claims or insinuations not based in fact or documented evidence does not help the forum community. I hope you might reconsider your remarks.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

In general I agree with you Marine359, but the Mighty Max does not seem to have a quality BIM suitable for a MH. No low temp cutout for one. Battle Born does and the much cheaper SOK does. It only costs pennies for the manufacturer to add a low temp cutout so it is puzzling why some do not have it.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
In general I agree with you Marine359, but the Mighty Max does not seem to have a quality BIM suitable for a MH. No low temp cutout for one. Battle Born does and the much cheaper SOK does. It only costs pennies for the manufacturer to add a low temp cutout so it is puzzling why some do not have it.

David
Agree 100% David.
I’m not making a case for this particular battery noted by OP, which I wouldn’t buy under any circumstances. However, there are several high quality batteries out there with tested and respected BMS, which all have low temp and high temp shutoff, low voltage and over voltage disconnect. The good brands shouldn’t be lumped in with the schlock stuff. It just takes some patient shopping and research.
BTW: I would never buy a component as important and expensive as this over the internet. I want to be able to talk to the manufacturer and ask questions. There are only a few brands that have phone support and phone ordering. That’s why I chose the brand I now have.