Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

'04 Adventurer inverter outlet

Hi all -

I just got back from a 5,082 (but who's counting) mile trip from Wyoming to Georgia and back, making sales calls enroute - I certainly got familiar with the rig!

In my 35U, it seems that the inverter powers both TV's and the DVD/VCR, but none of the 120V outlets in the coach. Is this true? It'd be awfully nice to run and chargte the computer off the house batteries without running the genset.

Any hints appreciated -

- Clay
Old 06-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi Clay, in my MH the inverter powered outlets are in the front of the coach. One is under the the bottom of the TV, looking up from the dash, and the other is on the passenger seat wall. They are usually close by the inverter.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

In 2007 Winnebago used a 600w inverter. In 2004 they used a 300w inverter.

This is my quick fix to run a computer. I plug a 120v extension cord into the inverter powered outlet where the DVD player plugs in. I run the extension to the dash area or wherever I want to use my laptop. When on shore power I just store the extension behind or along side the DVD player. I never unplug it.

I also plug the cellphone chargers into this extension.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help - I do have the 300W inverter. I've checked the outlets under the DVD and by the copilot armrest, no joy. Looks like extension cord time, prior to the next trip. While I'm in there, I'll figure out why the switch that controls the coach speakers doesn't do anything...

- Clay
Old 06-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcCardell View Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help - I do have the 300W inverter. I've checked the outlets under the DVD and by the copilot armrest, no joy. Looks like extension cord time, prior to the next trip. While I'm in there, I'll figure out why the switch that controls the coach speakers doesn't do anything...

- Clay
check the outlet in the drivers side overhead cabinet. mine is powered by the inverter. on my moho, the satellite receiver plugs in there.
chargers and other power supplies do not always work well from modified sine wave inverters. if the charger or power supply gets hotter than usual, do not use it with the inverter.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
check the outlet in the drivers side overhead cabinet. mine is powered by the inverter. on my moho, the satellite receiver plugs in there.
chargers and other power supplies do not always work well from modified sine wave inverters. if the charger or power supply gets hotter than usual, do not use it with the inverter.
I have the same set up
Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I built in a 400 watt inverter under one of the cabinets. I ran 10 ga wires to the battery so that it really would put out the 400 watts. Works great.

I tried running an extension cord to the outlets in the TV cabinet but I couldn't power the TV and the computer at the same time.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

There is a outlet (duplex) in the back of the inverter itself. I ran a short multi-recepitcle out into the cabinet area.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I believe you have the same inverter as the one in our 01 Adventurer. Ours is in the front overhead cabinet on the passengers side. The on/off switch is visible on the left side of the cabinet when the door is open. If yours is the same it only powers 1 outlet in the rear of that cabinet. Both the television and the DVD (VCR) are plugged into that outlet.

We added a satellite dish and reciever. To be able to use them when we were boondocking we unplugged the television from the outlet and plugged in an outlet strip. The television, DVD player, and satellite control box are now all plugged into the outlet strip.

An easy way to find out which outlets are powered by the inverter is to look at the online wiring diagrams on the Winnebago website.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
Old 06-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

CMcCardell,

My solution was to run an extension cord from the inverter overhead to the compartment under the computer shelf. I started from the computer shelf on the dash by cutting a hole just large enough for the male end of the extension cord to pass thru. I then forced the end, which was tight, by the edge of the dash near the "A" pillar on the passenger side. Then it was easy to run the cord behind the "A" pillar cover up to the overhead compartment where I plugged it into the back of inverter. The cord I found at Lowe's had a loop on the recepticle end that I used to run a dry wall screw thru to hold it in place inside the computer shelp compartment. The extra cord is wound up behind the dash and out of the way.

It came out pretty good and is mostly invisible. The shelf can still be closed with the computer still plugged in. The wife loves it....

Dave
Old 06-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

You may be interested in this solution. There are many aftermarket inverters that plug into a cigarete lighter plug. Just make sure the one that you purchase can power your notebook computer. I also use one to power the 19" LCD TV in the bedroom(when dry camping).
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

URL on previous post does not work. Please try: http://www.picasaweb.google.com/sight04 select 19" LCD TV to see inverter application.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote