Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have found a 110v. extension type cord laying on top of my inverter. It has a male plug end on it and I do not have any idea what it is for. My Winnebago black bag did not have a manual for the inverter . Does anyone have any idea what this cord is for and why it laying on top of the inverter unused so far as I know ? Thanks
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have found a 110v. extension type cord laying on top of my inverter. It has a male plug end on it and I do not have any idea what it is for. My Winnebago black bag did not have a manual for the inverter . Does anyone have any idea what this cord is for and why it laying on top of the inverter unused so far as I know ? Thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Engine block heater cord....Should be an outlet there nearby...
When needed you plug that in and hit switch in coach.

Check your Horizon black bag for complete instructions in the manuals....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If it's just one end of a cord it might be for your engine block heater. Mine was unplugged from the nearby switched outlet when I got my coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I will look close tomorrow and see if I can see a place to plug it into. The privious answer obviously didn't read that I do not have a Black Bag book on the inverter or this cord. Thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I think Bob was referring to your 'Horizon 2003 Operator Manual" in the Black Bag where you should be able to find a discussion of the engine block heater under the 'Chassis' section (at least that's where it is in the manual for my 2005 Vectra). It doesn't have anything specifically to do with your inverter.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:57 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oh-one:
I will look close tomorrow and see if I can see a place to plug it into. The privious answer obviously didn't read that I do not have a Black Bag book on the inverter or this cord. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sam,as I mentioned before, you should have an owners manual for the coach in your black bag.

In that manual will be instructions on how to plug in the block heater and operate a switch you will most likely find in the area of your "One Place" wall.
This will be the area similar to what I have shown here....If you look at the extreme top right of MY picture, the "engine block heater" switch is shown....
Old 03-29-2006, 12:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had a heck of a time finding the female plug for what you described but it is there. I can't see mine but by feeling around up there I finally found it.

My understanding is the chassis manufacturer delivers the chassis with this cord and Winnebago puts in the female plug with the rest of their electrics.

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well.. I looked and no plug in the area.. I have a 2003 Horizon 32ft and it does not have a place to plug the cord into. I removed the cover from the inverter and looked all over the inside of the elec. compartment. I guess it is to be plugged into a extension cord ? I do have a switch in the coach that controls the Block Heater but I am wondering if it really works also. I also went through the entire Black Bag and there is no referrence to the heater plug at all. I think the dealer used this coach as a source for missing items on other coaches while it sat on the lot. I had a lot of small items missing when we bought it . Thanks for your help.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

HIGHLY recommend you call or email Winnebago tomorrow morning....

Owner Relations email address-- [email protected]
Service Administration-... 1-800-537-1885

You could even email Bryan Funke,a service lead with Winnebago who participates in these forums.

His email is [email protected]

GREAT guy....will return your email.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have an '02 Journey. The female receptacle is VERY hard to find. I had to use a mirror to find it, as it faces the rear of the compartment, and is the same dark color as the case. This has nothing to do with the inverter, so do no look there. The receptacle is controlled by the switch in the coach.

Lakewood, Colorado
SkipperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the description. I will get a mirror an take another look.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the information. The good news we have found the plug for the block heater ! It was hidden behind the outlet box for the cable and tele. hookup. My wife practically had to climb inside the small compartment to see it ,but it is there just as you described. This has me wondering if this is nothing but a switched 120volt outlet from the interior of the coach via the Block Heater switch ? If this is the case, could I not use it as source for outside lighting, battery charger etc.? Thanks Oh-one out.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

To, Oh-ONE,

Have the same 120 volt outlet for block heater in same bay with 50 amp shore power cord with a on/off switch on monitor panel inside rig. I leave the block heater unplugged because no power where store rig and use this outlet for several tools etc.

Good luck and happy traveling====

Aime==== AJBJRVERS
Old 04-06-2006, 03:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I plugged a power bar into that outlet, and then use it for the block heater, a Battery Minder, and sometimes tools or lights. It is nothing more than a switched outlet.

2005 Itasca Meridian
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks John Mc, we are leaving tomorrow morning for Daytona to attend the Good Sam's Rally and I can use the outlet for some of the same purposes . Little things like this make the MH much more useful and I am sorry to say it took me two years of ownership to find it out.Oh-one out.