Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Yea or nay - should my '01 Itasca be so equipped?

We are about a week away from taking possession of an '01 Itasca - used but not abused. Should this gem come equipped with the heating coils that take over when the temps drop too low for the heat pump? I'm pretty sure it has a heat pump 'cause it has sub floor ducts, and the salesman said so. and I'm sure he wouldn't lie, would he?
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Well, I've found that my '01 Itasca is furnishing me with lots of forum material already, and we haven't brought it home yet! Now - about the Instrument panel getting replaced - the local Blythe Ford dealer was sent the rig to get the IP replaced. Seems we felt a bit uneasy with this, 'cause that means the odometer was fiddled with...or at lease SHOULD have been set to the correct 'as received' numbers. Anyway I could verify this? The unit came to Q-site from Saco . . .can I trace its lineage before that? Should I be concerned? Anyone ever had this done ?
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The coils you are talking about is the Motor-Aid, which only works when the engine is running. It heats both the coach and hot water heater.

The odometer should have been reset to what ever was on the defective instrument panel. Carfax may give you the information.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The gas furnace take over when the outside temp drops to low for the heat pump.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The heat pump will put out its heat or cool from vents in the ceiling. Below a certain temp the gas furnace will start and that heat will come from the floor vents.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you go here 2001 Winnebago/Itasca Product Info you can get the brochure for the model Itasca you're getting.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

First of all the heat and the cooling provided by the AC/heat pump come through the ceiling ducts. Secondly a heat pump was about a $1000.00 option for this model year. It was not standard equipment.

If it has the heat pump option the gas furnace will take over when the temperature drops below approx.37*F.

It does have the Motoraide heater. This system actually has 2 parts. There is a heater coil (run off engine coolant) and 2 speed fan beneath the main cabin floor. The fan is controlled by a switch on the dash. It blows heated air through the floor ducts and out through the registers in the floor. The second part of this system is a series of coils surrounding the water heater tank. The engine coolant also circulates through this set of coils and warms the water in the tank when driving.

Tags
itasca