Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wrecker air hookup location

Any Ultimate freedom owners know where the air chuck connection is for wrecker svc to hook up in order to release the brakes for towing? Looked in gen comp firewall but not seeing it.
mcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Mine doesn't have one; really doesn't need one. All the wrecker driver needs to do is cage the rear brake air cans. Driveshaft must be disconnected either way.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpo View Post
Any Ultimate freedom owners know where the air chuck connection is for wrecker svc to hook up in order to release the brakes for towing? Looked in gen comp firewall but not seeing it.
Well Sir,
Not knowing what your up-front gen compartment looks like and how it's laid out, it's hard to tell you where to look. I have two different places a wrecker can hook up to in the front. One is the air outlet used for airing up puposes like tires etc. The other is a small air manifold on the right side as you look at the front. It will also air up the entire system IF, the system is above 60 psi.

If that system has dropped below 60, neither place will suffice for airing up the system. At that point, the wrecker has only one place left. And that is the schrader valve located almost directly on the air dryer.

But, I gotta tell-ya, if that coach has lost all or most of it's air for any particular reason, that means the bags have emptied too and that means, the coach has dropped to its lowest level which, if you're wrecker driver, you'd better have not eaten for the last month or so 'cause that coach is not sitting very high at all.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Ray, we have the same year as yours so I suspect the same set up.
Fire Up, I guess I had better leave her up on the leveling jacks until the wrecker operator does his business underneath because no amount of dieting will get you to fit once she is down off the jacks
Old 12-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Mine doesn't have one; really doesn't need one. All the wrecker driver needs to do is cage the rear brake air cans. Driveshaft must be disconnected either way.
Not applicable to me at all since I don't own a diesel, but have to ask, what does "cage the rear brake air cans" mean? -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
What if your air bags are empty?
Old 12-13-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It's a tool that's inserted into the chamber then tightened to take the pressure off the spring thus releasing the brakes.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I am going from memory. With the generator out, look to the fire wall on the right. About even with the steering wheel there is a BLUE plastic piece. There is a Schrader Valve facing the front. I believe you can add air through the fitting. Tow guy should have parts to hook up
Hope I am right
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperkids View Post
It's a tool that's inserted into the chamber then tightened to take the pressure off the spring thus releasing the brakes.
Thank-you. I didn't go to school today but learned something anyway! -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
I am going from memory. With the generator out, look to the fire wall on the right. About even with the steering wheel there is a BLUE plastic piece. There is a Schrader Valve facing the front. I believe you can add air through the fitting. Tow guy should have parts to hook up
Hope I am right
Yes I saw one and if it is the one that you are thinking of, it goes to the gen set slide out mechanism and I think the step cover.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
Hope I am right
Here is what I could find. The blue plastic thing with schrader valve does go to the genset airshock/actuator and the input it comes from the next piece pictured. If I take off one of the Allen wrench head screws out and put in an airchuck would that feed the tanks and give me compressor air?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3543.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	146709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3549.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	146710  

Old 12-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

If you have a FL chassis, the aux air up front can't be used to release the brakes. That's how FL designed the system. Other brands can be different. They will connect to the air dryer just in front of the rear axle.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

When I had a failure of the fuel system, I needed a 70 mile tow in west Texas. The tow driver tapped directly into the air tanks just at the front axle. Rig was a 2005 Diesel Bounder on a Freightliner chassis. He looked at the air manifold under the hood for airing up the tires and said that one wouldn't work. He also, of course, pulled the drive shaft.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Air brake chambers explained
All air brake systems are very similar,they use the same wheel canisters, and they work the same as that detailed article.
As you see there is no need to re-pressurize the air system to release the parking brake, front brakes are never energized when parking brake is engaged.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpo View Post
Yes I saw one and if it is the one that you are thinking of, it goes to the gen set slide out mechanism and I think the step cover.
Correct!
Old 12-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Ended up tapping into the airtank and brakes released no problem. Pulled the rear drive axel and away she rolled. Kudos to CoachNet and ASAP towing from Jax, FL!
Old 12-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
If you have a FL chassis, the aux air up front can't be used to release the brakes. That's how FL designed the system. Other brands can be different. They will connect to the air dryer just in front of the rear axle.
When we had our FL chassis towed the tow truck drive hookd up the air to value up front by generator to get the brakes to release and also it aired up the air bags.

Tags
cat