Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2008, 04:01 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Last year we were lucky and had both halves of the windshield get zapped with rocks. Our insurance company (GMAC) gave us the choice of someone coming to the RV Park and changing them, or I could go to Forest City. We I wanted the job done right so I went to Forest City. Never again, the windshields leaked and I had to use a half tube of caulking to seal it up. I have been going to Forest City for service for six years and have watched the quality of service decline each year. In the future I will use the insurance companies suggested source, AND their work is warrantied for life.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:07 AM   #22
JC2
Winnie-Wise

We picked up a BB sized pit in our windshield coming back from the 2008 IRV2 rally and fortunately got it fixed before it started spider cracking. I remember the glass tech saying at the time that he had recently replaced half of a WS on a similiar rig to the tune of $1200.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:37 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

$900.00 is about right. I had my pass side replace after a tree limb fell from a storm damaged tree and went through it,(while driving), just missing the DW. The insurance had the glass shop come to my home and replace it, zero deductable.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Fortunately AZ has no/low deductable for windshield. We had ours replaced this winter. I recall the installer said they charged my insurance Co 12-1500 bux. We paid nothing. We had a new chip within 300 miles.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

We replaced the driver's side windshield in our old Monaco ('01 Knight 30J) for about $1200. On the way home - less than 10 miles from the repair facility - a semi threw a rock into the middle of the brand new one. Nice bullseye . . . luckily it was fixable for $50.

We only carry liability. I figure I can play the probability tables as well as the insurance company . . . and they plan to make a profit. I'm far enough ahead, over the years, that I can afford a little ding here and there.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Just had the driver side replaced @ FC. Bill came to $1017.00. Like John, I have Fla insurance, so no deductible.

Had both front windows in my 96 Vectra shot out by vandals with sling shots and marbles about 5 years ago and that bill was a little over $1800.00. Perps were apprehended and made to pay restitution among other punishment. Seems that they were doing this all over town, their final bill was somewhere around 20 grand...

I believe if I had insurance other than Fla I would consider carrying full replacement cost for front window damages. Seems like I am replacing a windshield in one of the four vehicles every six months or so. It's a wonder that they haven't cancelled me because of so many claims.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Boy is this timely for me!
Just got back yesterday, trip down 81 through NY state. Construction truck hit me with a rock and cracked the drivers side windshield.

I got the licsense plate and name off the door of the truck. Think we should contact the company and try to get them to pay?

$900??????? Wowser, didn't think it would be even close to that much!
dualgwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:55 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I even stopped the stone truck and talk to the driver. He just told me to call the office that he had no authority. I did call them, they disavowed any responsibility for the accident. Having gotten the license plate number and company address I talked to my insurance company. They said they are never successful in recovering from trucking companies hauling stone. If it were a specific item falling being hauled by a given truck and it fell through a broken floor or came off a flat bed, we would have a good case.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I wondered if the $900+ charge for our driver's side windshield was high, I guess not. It's in the shop now as we speak. The glass was a little over $300 from Winnebago, plus shipping and two hours of labor.

I had a stone chip from last year way up high in the tinted area and decided to leave it till this summer and use a repair kit, but during the winter (freeze/thaw) it turned into a foot-long horizontal crack. I'll buy and keep in the MH a repair kit to fix the next one ASAP.

Ford V10
weebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

I paid $758 (my part w/$500 ded.) for driver's side on my last m/h. It seems that since it was nearly 10 years old that the glass company wouldn't put it in w/o replacing the gasket and the insurance company wouldn't pay for the gasket, due to age! "Catch 22" got me and I didn't have any recourse that I could see.
retired2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Most insurance companies cover small chips and pits. Outfits that fix these using professional tools and methods are likely to be more positive fixes and they get insurance approval on the spot.

I recommend you check into those remedies before you spend the money on a home kit.

JMHO,

Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

I just had both halves replaced due to a 24" crack after a rock strike on one side, and excessive pitting on the other. I paid $500 deductible to a company in Reno nv called reno custom glass. A great group to deal with. I am anal, and the job was perfect, in fact better than I had left it.

I can't wait to establish my residency in FL
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

About the right price. I had one half of the windshield changed on my 2004 Journey today at Winnebago and the price was $1000.00
smith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #34
Winnie-Wise

I hope yours was finished off better than mine! The glass was put in timely, and the windshield itself looks good. However, after leaving and driving off towards the Interstate when I got up to speed, about 55 MPH we heard a thundering sound right in the front of the rig. I looked towards the area where the noise was coming from and saw the passenger side aluminum window trim banging furiously on the side of the RV!

I pulled over on the side of a two lane road and inspected the problem. It turned out that two of the three screws that hold the trim on were not put back in! Only the top screw was holding the trim piece on. My choice was to drive back 4 or 5 miles and get two 3 cent screws, spend $5 in gas and waste an hour, or to replace them myself. I carry a small tool chest and various small fasteners so I was able to find two that would fit. They are silver and mismatched, but at least it was secured and I could get on with the 250 miles I had to travel that day, and it was already 1:30 in the afternoon.

The really disappointing part was that when I stopped for fuel in about an hour, the wife found the phone number for Winnie customer service and called to let them know about it. At first there was no service manager available, so we left a number to call. About 20 minutes later I got a call back. I was disappointed in the attitude of the service manager. In his voice I detected a tone of disbelief and his resistence to admit that they could have made the oversight.

All I asked for was the two replacement screws so I could take out the silver ones. I got a "yeah, sure" answer and nothing else. The next day a different person called me and in a 4 second conversation stated "the screws are in the mail". Wow, thanks. I guess I expected more attention to detail from the manufacturer. This underscores the reason why I hate for anyone else to work on my rig. But I do take some of the responsibility for this as I should have gone over the repair with a fine tooth comb before I drove off.

Live and learn...........

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">two of the three screws that hold the trim on were not put back in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My coach has had windshield work done twice by two different Winnie dealerships. BOTH TIMES they left out screws in both outside and inside trim. The second one left all kinds of problems with trim, wipers, etc. I caught several of them before we left the dealership, but others didn't become obvious until we were down the road a little. I have learned not to leave a service place without doing a thorough inspection first, and even then you will miss something you have to repair later.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #36
Winnie-Wise

You are absolutely right Paul. And I usually do. I just let my guard down a little because of being at the factory. I guess I figured the quality control would be automatic. Well, live and learn.........

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote