Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Working on the roof - wisdom needed

I need to do some work on my 2014 Itasca Sunstar's roof. Specifically I have a vent cover I want to install, plus I'd like to wax the fiberglass roof, and we regularly apply a cover.

I have been on it a few times but it just don't seem right!

I am not very "svelte" at a chunky 220 lbs. Each time I get on the roof I worry myself sick that I'll crack or damage the fiberglass in spite of my dainty footwork. When the rig see's me approach with a ladder it trembles.

I've had a number of different RV's over the years with every type of roof you can imagine except fiberglass -- this is our first. It worries me the most.

Any sage advice, ideas or thoughts on how to approach roof work? I don't get up on it often except when its really necessary.

Rascal
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

When I was working on the 5er roof while I replaced the sheeting I cut a couple sheets of plywood into 2' strips. I laid them on the roof to form a bridge over the rotten sheeting that was there. It may work for you if you think there are issues.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I installed a couple of roof vents and the rear ladder and fiberglass roof seemed to support my girth fine (approx. 250 lbs.)
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Wait for some more responses, but I don't think we need to/should wax the roof.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
Site Team

Working on the roof - wisdom needed

When waxing, I have been able to get to every part using using an 8 foot step ladder. Neither I or the ladder touch the sunstar's roof. I use wash wax all and their special telescoping pole.

When I have to get on the roof, however, I use knee pads that you can get at any Home Depot, and maneuver on my hands and knees. I never stand up on the roof...I've heard of too many horror stories about that...

As far as the roof itself, I have confirmed with Winnebago that it is built to handle someone walking on it...so jam not concerned about the weight. I am 210 and have never had a problem with the fiberglass.

Happy travels to you!
Al
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Consider for a moment the forces generated on the roof by the A/C unit when you hit one of those teeth jarring potholes. Your fairly static weight is light compared to a 100# a/c unit flying up and down. Unless you have serious delimitation issues you should not have a problem. As suggested above. If you are concerned then use a sheet of plywood to distribute the load.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The last and most important thought: The sudden and painful impact with the concrete. It happens.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Washed and waxed my 2010 suncruiser's roof a couple weeks ago. I'm a big guy and had no problems. Took two days! Had to scrub it on my hands and knees. Wax should help clean it easier.

Craig
Old 04-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
I need to do some work on my 2014 Itasca Sunstar's roof. Specifically I have a vent cover I want to install, plus I'd like to wax the fiberglass roof, and we regularly apply a cover.

I have been on it a few times but it just don't seem right!

I am not very "svelte" at a chunky 220 lbs. Each time I get on the roof I worry myself sick that I'll crack or damage the fiberglass in spite of my dainty footwork. When the rig see's me approach with a ladder it trembles.

I've had a number of different RV's over the years with every type of roof you can imagine except fiberglass -- this is our first. It worries me the most.

Any sage advice, ideas or thoughts on how to approach roof work? I don't get up on it often except when its really necessary.

Rascal
americanrasc,
You call 220 lbs. "chunky"? I'm in between 235 and 245, depending on how many cookies I've had lately and, 6' 2 1/2". I'm on my '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD fiberglass roof regularly. They're considerably stronger than you think. While I wouldn't hold any parties up there, doing regular maintenance and repairs is quite all right.

And, as for your intent on waxing it, well Sir, I admire your drive on that. I've machine polished and hand waxed mine, a couple of times. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that thought process. Some don't do anything to their roofs, some put floor wax on it, some paint it, some coat it with different rubber-type coatings.

A thorough washing and waxing will make your roof last and, remain in great shape for years to come. And, yes, all the worry warts will expound on how "Slippery" it is if you do that. Of course it's going to be slippery, especially if it's WET while you're up there, goofing around with maintenance or other stuff. JUST BE CAREFULL!! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that you're up off the ground and, it's a long fall, so again, be careful.

I've used a few different auto waxes up there and, since I've been waxing cars for, oh, around 50 years or so, there's not a ton of difference between any of them. Some just cost more than others. It all depends on how much you want to pay. I use Meguiars Cleaner Wax (red can) for that roof and, everything else I own and, it's a great product and lasts as good as the best of them.
Scott

P.S. Below are a couple of pics of my roof, right after waxing.

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Stop being afraid and get up on the roof. I outweigh (300lbs) you and go on my roof whenever needed. The only thing you should worry about is stepping in the sky light and too close to any openings in the roof.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:47 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Thanks folks! All good info.

From what you all are sharing the roof sounds reasonably stout,

Will likely tackle the vent cover install tomorrow. I have installed them on other rigs before and can probably install in about 20 minutes. I notice the Itasca has plastic flanges on the vent opening for the side bracket installation, whereas other rigs I have installed them on had metal side flanges. I don't anticipate that being a problem.

I may postpone the wax job for a few weeks as I ponder this.I have overnight developed an excuse that the pollen blizzard from the pine trees and other bloomers here in GA is in full swing and doubt I could get the wax on before the roof was once again thoroughly covered with the yellow stuff.

While this old body is getting substantially less nimble, I do intend to take all steps to minimize the possibility of cement poisoning.

As the DW is much lighter than me (had to make that statement for security reasons) she has been topside for the cover installs after each trip. I will likely have to take that over now due to aging and attitude changes I have noticed of late. Am going to shut up now before getting into more trouble.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hello Rascal,

I found a great wax years ago and they still sell it at Home Depot. Johnson's liquid Floor Wax in a quart-size yellow can. Clean the roof really well, remove mold and mildew, using a sponge mop, apply one coat liberally. Has worked for me for years and has never yellowed. Takes about 15-20 minutes to apply the wax. Looks super!

As for weight on the roof, I've been up there a number of times with no problems. I am very careful. Hope this helps.

Phil
Old 04-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I'm sorry, but IMO waxing the roof should NEVER be done, it'll make it JUST TOO SLIPPERY the next time you need to go up on it especially if it's the least bit damp. I just wash mine real good 3-4 times a year and keep a close eye on all the caulk seams.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I just spent 3 hours last saturday doing an 15 minute install of two roof vent covers. Turned out to be much more involved than the instructions lead on. I have Fantasic fans in the kitchen and bathroom. I needed to disassemble the guts of the fans to be able to screw the tabs that the vent covers attach too. Oh yea, also had to remove the existing vent covers to get to those spots. Oh yea, also had to take one of my AC shrouds off because the vent is right next to it and I couldn't mount the cover without removing it.

But back to your original question, I'm close to 200 pounds and felt fine walking up on the roof from the point of view of the roof supporting my weight. I spoke with a dealer and they said that roofs must support the weight of people on top of them (not skylights of course). So don't worry about falling through, especially on a newer model RV. Falling off is another issue. I don't like heights and after getting frustrated and tired, working in the hot sun, and being more or less blinded by staring at a white surfaced roof for a couple of hours, I probably should have taken a rest. Taking a tumble from 11 or 12 feet up is not something I want to do at my age (or any age I guess).

As far as waxing goes, I plan on washing my roof down and putting a synthetic wax on it a couple of times a year. Getting some UV protection on it, especially if its like mine and spends its entire life out in the sun should help extend its life, cut down on black streaks and so on. But definitely be careful. Ill probably do the center parts first, then do the edges while standing on a ladder as another poster suggests.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Smile Waxing The Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
americanrasc,
You call 220 lbs. "chunky"? I'm in between 235 and 245, depending on how many cookies I've had lately and, 6' 2 1/2". I'm on my '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD fiberglass roof regularly. They're considerably stronger than you think. While I wouldn't hold any parties up there, doing regular maintenance and repairs is quite all right.

And, as for your intent on waxing it, well Sir, I admire your drive on that. I've machine polished and hand waxed mine, a couple of times. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that thought process. Some don't do anything to their roofs, some put floor wax on it, some paint it, some coat it with different rubber-type coatings.

A thorough washing and waxing will make your roof last and, remain in great shape for years to come. And, yes, all the worry warts will expound on how "Slippery" it is if you do that. Of course it's going to be slippery, especially if it's WET while you're up there, goofing around with maintenance or other stuff. JUST BE CAREFULL!! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that you're up off the ground and, it's a long fall, so again, be careful.

I've used a few different auto waxes up there and, since I've been waxing cars for, oh, around 50 years or so, there's not a ton of difference between any of them. Some just cost more than others. It all depends on how much you want to pay. I use Meguiars Cleaner Wax (red can) for that roof and, everything else I own and, it's a great product and lasts as good as the best of them.
Scott

P.S. Below are a couple of pics of my roof, right after waxing.

Scott, As always, your are my hero. I waxed my roof once and it was a lot of work.

I do clean my roof 2X/year, but waxing it was a JOB! I think I posted once a few years back a pic of my shiny roof. But yours is shinier.

I'm a firm believer that you get a MPG increase of 1-2% when you wax your roof. Go for it! And I'm not being sarcastic.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I am around 250 lbs and wash mine regularly with a mop and bucket along with the occasional acid brush on a broom handle. Put a marine boat finish called PolyGlow on with a chammie mop every few years which makes clean up 1,000% easier.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Good news and waxing question

Installed new vent cover today. After completion of the install project I went down inside the rig and found I had not punched a new vent hole in the roof and my wife noticed I had not fallen through the roof--so I guess it held up?

Even better I avoided cement poisoning!

I do want to apply some level of wax protectant on the roof but not spend the rest of my life with an applicator and buffing rag like I do when I wax the sides, front and rear.

I was wondering if these vehicle wash and wax concentrated products offer a decent level of protection for something as big as the roof???????

Thoughts????

Old 04-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

My roof, as well as the one across from me, are Rubber... I've been on mine,both along and with a parther, several times.

My neighbor was working on his Air Conditioner (A Carrier V) Since I know that model rather well I joined him (Used my own ladder though,,, I'd have tore his ladder off the rig at 315 lbs this AM)

We fixed his A/C (Blower (Cold air) fan was cracked and about ready to fly apart and making noise.... What are the odds of finding a replacement, new or usd, after 5PM when the nearest RV parts place is a small outfit 30 minutes away?...... Turns out I had a spare in my basement (I did say I know that model)

Got him all fixed up

That's around 320 pounds of me (Dressed) and another 200 of him. Plus tools and we can forget the less than one pound part.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
Installed new vent cover today. After completion of the install project I went down inside the rig and found I had not punched a new vent hole in the roof and my wife noticed I had not fallen through the roof--so I guess it held up?

Even better I avoided cement poisoning!

I do want to apply some level of wax protectant on the roof but not spend the rest of my life with an applicator and buffing rag like I do when I wax the sides, front and rear.

I was wondering if these vehicle wash and wax concentrated products offer a decent level of protection for something as big as the roof???????

Thoughts????.
I use a product called Dry Wash N Guard on sides & roof. Relatively easy process and does not require a lot of buffing or rubbing, DRI WASH n GUARD Waterless Car Wash: The Original Dry Wash! I think I found prices better on Ebay or Amazon. I think there are many similar products.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof