Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Red face Workhorse Spark Plug Wire Failure

My Adventurer 35A has been showing the signs of spark plug wire failure as I have read on this and the Workhorse forums -- hesitation, occasional popping, stuttering on high loads like hills. It now has a set of shiny red Taylor spark plug wires from Summit Racing gracing the engine's flanks. I haven't had a chance to test it,other than to start the engine, but it sounds strong. HOWEVER - in my haste to replace the wires, I did not notice until finished that they came with a small tube of dielectric grease which the instructions said to carefully apply to the inside of the boots. QUESTION: will NOT having the grease on the boots cause me any problem? I hate to remove all of the wires as they snapped on pretty securely.
FWIW - the #3 wire on the left side broke as I was removing it, being certain to pull on the boot, not the wire. I 'spect this was from overheating and causing my symptoms.
Thanks for your input!
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had two ends broke off. I asked the tech if it was heat that caused my problem, he said he didn't think so. He also couldn't explain why they were broke! They did replace all the ignition wires under warranty. The repair was done in FT Pierce Florida, now home in Michigan, and was like driving a different coach home. BTW the miss I had was pretty much like you described.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Can you provide us with all the information to order a set?
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The silicon will make it easier to get the plug boots to release the next time some one has to pull the wires. I'd pull them and add the grease.

Ken
Old 05-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Per info from the Workhorse forum, I bought a set of Taylor wires, part no. TAY-79286, from Summit Racing. I am near their Sparks warehouse, so picked them up at the store for $75.39 + tax. Hope this helps!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbumn View Post
Can you provide us with all the information to order a set?
OEMY on this forum sells TAYLORS all ready to install. he has the good AC plugs for about $5 each. he has very reasonable prices and ships quickly. check his website or call him at 512-856-1127.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Installed the Taylor spark plug wires, with the grease, am now in Colorado and the Winnie runs like new!