Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2003, 05:42 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Longons:
I too have the brake squeal in my '03 Adventurer on the W-20 chassis. Like Ken said, when stopped at a traffic light I can change the pitch and volume of the squeal by the amount of pressure I apply to the pedal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can do the same thing with my Ford chassis. It is the aux brake system squealing away in happy contentment as your 25,000lbs idles happily at the red light.

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Snow Covered Frozen Connecticut Woods

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
FMCA 300790.Good Sam.WIT.PCA-CVR
Old 01-25-2003, 05:46 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghost:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Longons:
I too have the brake squeal in my '03 Adventurer on the W-20 chassis. Like Ken said, when stopped at a traffic light I can change the pitch and volume of the squeal by the amount of pressure I apply to the pedal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can do the same thing with my Ford chassis. It is the aux brake booster squealing away merrily as your 25,000lb coach idles contentedly at the red light. It's sort of a Stephen King thing.

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads

FMCA 300790.Good Sam.WIT.PCA-CVR<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads

Old 01-27-2003, 06:27 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Paul, Ronnie and Steve.

Well the ol' Adventurer is back at the Oakland Truck Center. The brake booster is in and being replaced as I type. Hope this works. As for the driveline vibration, still no good. The replacement of the rear axle pinion gears etc did not resolve the vibration. I gave it a good chance but no go. After two more trips it is still annoying me. Like you say all are not this way. Of all of us with the W-20, it seems only two or three are experiencing this problem. That means there is a problem and there is a solution. Trust me, I'll find it. I am nothing if not persistent.

I have been working through Oakland Truck Center on this and have had no direct contact with WCC. If not satisfied this time, they are my next step. The problem has been consistent since delivery in July 02 and was brought to there attention in August 02. I have not noticed any degradation in performance from the squealing brake booster or the vibration. I have been assured that there are no safety issues and we continue to use the coach. I am sure this is part of the problem as the coach goes into the shop to accomidate my traveling, whick is frequent.

I will keep you updated.

Ken Sair
Adventurer 32V
Livermore CA

07 Beaver Contessa (40 Pacifica)
mayahuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:17 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

As an ex driveline mechanic (20 years ago), let me ask a question or two. Check the line-up of the U-joints. With a splined shaft, they have to be just right or they will get a vibration like discribed. Place the front u-jount where one of the ears connected to the transmission side is at 6 o'clock. The ears on that u-jount connected to the next shaft section will be at 3 and 9 o'clock. Go the the next u-joint. The ears on the forward side should also be 3 and 9. The next section should have the ears on each end at 12 and 6 on both ends. When looking at any section, the ears on one end should be at the same clock positions as at the other end. If they don't match, it is either welded wrong or the splines are inserted incorrectly.
Also, if you have a parking brake drum on the rear of the transmission, see if you can remove it for a test drive.

29' Four Winds 29QB/Play-n-Pac, '01 GMC Savana 3500 Extended Hi-Top Conversion, 8.1L

(fka TonyT)
BeenThere DoneThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 07:57 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

My driveshaft has been checked, it was aligned properly and balanced plus all tires/wheels were replaced. Still have the vibration at 58-65 mph. Just got the rig back from dealer with the new body parts and front end parts replaced ($18K) and waiting for an appointment for the paint shop. Took a trip to FL with it, about 1700 miles, vibration still persists, no more, no less. Next stop after paint shop is back to the Workhorse Repair Center.
Best Regards!

Paul D
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U Workhorse Chassis
AKA "R SANITY"

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 02:54 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Have them replace the floating axles.

29' Four Winds 29QB/Pac-n-Play, '01 GMC Savana 3500 Extended Hi-Top Conversion, 8.1L

(fka TonyT)
Old 02-06-2003, 05:47 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Paul and everyone. My coach has been in the shop since last week. I told them I don't want it back till the vibration is gone. Here is some good news. Sorry, this might get a little long.

The first answer was , they are all like that. That was unacceptable and communicated to them loud and clear.

The first repair was done two months ago. The pinion gears in the rear axle were "shimmed" and re-aligned. There was some improvement but I still had the vibration starting at 61 MPH on up through 65 MPH. We have been using the coach and just it back in for repair. Tonight I spoke with Lyle at Oakland Truck Center. This is what happened. He totally bypassed WCC and contacted Dana, the manufacturer of the rear axles directly. After a long conversation it was decided that before re-doing the rear axle a second time at considerable expense, Dana suggested that the drive shaft be replaced. Dana sent a new driveshaft and it has been installed. The technician who drove the coach and also noted the vibration drove it and says the vibration is gone.

I will pick up the coach on Wednesday or Thursday when the body work is repaired and take it for a test drive. I have been assured that the vibration is gone and I am hopeful. I first brought it up in August 2002 and feel I have been patient. If this is the repair needed it appears to be the drive shaft and not necessarily the pinion gears. I will share all when I believe it to be fixed. Keep your fingers crossed.

See the thread on the brake squeal. I have been promised that has been repaired as well.

Ken Sair
Adventurer 32V
Livermore CA

Old 02-06-2003, 05:52 PM   #28
iRV2 Marketing

Way to go. I hope your vibration is gone. This is a great case study for us and if anyone else has this problem we can quote this fix as the proper proceedure to be applied.

<font color=blue>01 Winnebago 37G/Workhorse W20 "¢ Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"</font color>
8 8
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 02:21 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Ken,
Thanks for your update. I am having the repaired body work on my 35U painted this week. Then it is off to the Workhorse Repair center to start on the driveline problem and my dash a/c, seems Winnebago never charged the system, but the dealer says to have Workhorse check for a leak, they claim Winnebago would never let a unit out of the factory without freon. Sound familiar, DriVr? Will post the results of my repairs for all to see when done (correctly).

Best Regards!

Paul D
AKA "R SANITY"

Old 02-20-2003, 07:27 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Sorry I haven't got back to anybody. They have been having trouble getting the paint to match on the generator door-driver side molding. It's been painted four times and still doesn't match. The wife isn't to concerned about the vibration but will pop a gasket if the coach looks like He##. Winnebago was contacted for the proper paint code and we should get it back tomorrow after I get out of court (I'm the good guy). I'm hoping for good news for me and all of you.

Keep your fingers crossed, I should know tomorrow night.

Ken Sair
Adventurer 32V
Livermore CA

Old 02-22-2003, 05:07 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Ken,

Just got my Adventurer back from the paint shop, they got the color match done right the first time. So far, I give my Winnebago Dealer and my Insurance company an A+ for their service. Now trying to get an appointment with the Workhorse Repair center, we got 24+ inches of snow last weekend and they are still not plowed out to take my Adventurer in, hopefully, middle of next week I'll get in. Will have them work on the vibration and my dash A/C, (it blows hot air, just like its owner). Thanks for your update, I'll let you know how it goes.

Best Regards!

Paul D
AKA "R SANITY"

Old 03-07-2003, 06:13 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Well everyone, I have bad news to report. After the installation of the new drive shaft there was no improvement. I still have the vibration from 61-65 etc. I am going out tomorrow to drive a new 33V on the same chassis (W20-208") just to be sure I haven't lost my mind. The good news they got it painted correctly and repaired the brake booster.

As always, I'll keep you all informed of this continuing saga.

Ken Sair
Adventurer 32V
Livermore CA

Old 03-09-2003, 05:55 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

I went out yesterday to Pan-Pacific RV in Lodi. They had a new 2003 33V, identical chassis. I took it for a test drive, What a revelation, totally different from my coach. Got the ol' girl up to speed on I-5, no vibration at 61-65 MPH. Got on/off the gas several times, no change. I can make my vibration go away by letting off the gas. That convinces me it is somewhere in the driveline and not an unbalanced tire etc.

Additionally, I had my power steering pump replaced several months ago as it was quite noisy. The one I drove yesterday was whisper quiet compared to mine. Mine is louder with no movement than this one was when I made a turn. Guess I'll be making a stink over that too.

Sadly, after eight months my patience is a little thin. The good news is that after my test drive I know it is the coach and I have not lost my mind.

I'll keep everyone up to date. Keep your fingers crossed and wish me luck. My wife and I cringe everytime we think that our original plan was to but this rig after we went full-timing next year. It's spent more night in the shop than it has campgrounds.

Ken Sair
Adventurer 32V
Livermore CA

Old 03-09-2003, 09:58 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

If the vibration goes away when you let off the gas, that indicates either the rear-end gears or slack (u-jount, splines, etc.) in the drive shaft.

29' Four Winds 29QB/Pac-n-Play, '01 GMC Savana 3500 Extended Hi-Top Conversion, 8.1L

(fka TonyT)
Old 03-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

TonyT,
I agree with you about the rear end gears. In a former career, I used to rebuild truck rear ends. I spent considerable time blueing the teeth the ensure I had correct contact patterns on the ring gear. If it was set up wrong, it would do exactly what my 35U does, vibration at highway speeds and no noise when backing off the gas. I got my rig into the WH repair shop last week, have not yet heard back from them, will call Wed. to see what they have found. Sure would like to use it this weekend, weather folks are predicting a nice batch of warmth! (about time, too)
Best Regards!

Paul D
AKA "R SANITY"

Old 03-11-2003, 05:06 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Snipe: Sure would like to use it this weekend, weather folks are predicting a nice batch of warmth! (about time, too)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a God!

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads

*You First. No More Pearl Harbors*
Old 11-06-2003, 07:39 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Well, we finally solved all our problems. Sadly the solution will not be of any bebefit to other Adventurer owners.

It took 4 months to get a return phone call from WCC. Yes I vented, long and loudly. They made wonderful promises to repair everything to my satisfaction on my return from vacation in October 2003.

We spent 3 nights in Bryce Canyon with no heat (24 degrees at night). Then moved on to Phoenix where it was 103 degrees. Then the air conditioner went out. Took a week to get a new one from Coleman out of Kansas. We still had outstanding issues with Winnebago and the vabration, brake squeal etc with WCC. Our 15 months of owning this Winnebago had been pure torture. It has spent 3 days in the shop for every day in a campground.

Our solution? Well we bit the bullet and traded it in on a Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP. We felt that even if all problems were resolved, we just had a bad taste in our mouths and did not feel it would be reliable for fulltiming starting next year.

I wish I could have seen this through. I just wasn't up to many more months of complete frustration with Winnebago and WCC. Additionally, the thought of lawyers and the lemon law fight was more than than I was willing to put up with. Lawyers rarely make a situation better.

So, sadly, we have left the Winnebago family. I do want to thank all of you for your help and encouragement these many months.

To all of you I wish the best of luck with your coaches and may you all be safe and happy in your travels.

Ken Sair

Ken Sair
Adventurer 32V
Livermore CA

Old 11-06-2003, 08:25 AM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Ken,

I am sorry that your problems with the motorhome were not resolved, but I understand your thinking, and wish you all the best of luck on your new Endeavor DP. I hope you get to enjoy it as you should.

CaptBill
Indian River, De
2002 Horizon 36LD
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 06:13 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Ken,
Glad you moved on to a rig you'll be happy with. I, too have been very frustrated and am shopping, possibly moving up to soemthing else next year. I can't complain about my dealer support, both WH and WB, but at what point do you cut your losses and move on? I'm looking at Dutch Star and Alfa, if one comes at the right price, I'll pounce. As beautiful as my Adventurer is, it is of no value if it keeps breaking. Out of basic warranty in three weeks, I have an extended warranty, but it won't beging to cover what I have had fixed so far. As to the drivline vibration, it has never been resolved, it still does it but has faded substancially, I know its there.
Best Regards and good luck with your HR.

Paul D
AKA "R SANITY"

Old 11-30-2003, 11:11 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Paul and Capt Bill, thank you for your kind words. Paul, you said it best, it is of no value if it keeps braking. It was to be our full-time vehicle. It came to the point where we didn't believe we could do that given the amount of time it spent in the shop. We would be spending most of our time in hotels, which I detest, I like my own bed.

We were a little skeptical of moving up to a DP because of the cost (like most people). Boy what a difference. Its like hopping out of my Jeep into my wifes Cadillac. When WCC says it's "Diesel like performance", I don't know which DP chassis they used for comparison but it wasn't the Roadmaster chassis I purchased. This is night and day. We purchased the HR in Mesa AZ and drove it home to Livermore CA (712 miles). What an absolute pleasure. More than enough power/torque. The ride was dramatically improved with the air suspension, even on CA freeways. My two favorite things? The cruise control does not downshift on every overpass and the Pacbrake. Driving this coach over the Grapevine out of LA was pure pleasure (caused me to give a blast of the airhorns occassionally).

As my wife said, I'm tired of hearing you *****. I'm a rich ol' broad, get whatever makes you happy (she's only 41). Life is too short.

Ken

Ken Sair
Adventurer 32V
Livermore CA