Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Won't go in reverse!

I am new to the RV world...with that said, We just bought a 1987 Itasca Sunflyer and took it camping for the first time. I was having a problem with my rear hydraulic jacks coming down so I was told that I could assist them while someone else brought them down. That worked and they came right on down. When I brought the rig home, now it will not go in reverse! Is there a correlation between the two? It seems like it goes into gear but when given gas it feels like the emergency brakes are on. Like something is holding it back? Can anyone help?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Make sure that your jacks are all the way up (no chrome showing on the jack shafts) . There could be an interlock that prevents the coach from going into gear if it senses that all the jacks are not fully retracted.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Dadzscorp:

Reverse is one of the first gears to stop working when the transmission is low on fluid, so I'd look there as well as looking at the jacks.

I had this happen to me while I was going through NYC. My symptom was sluggish shifting in the lower gears, adding fluid (about 6 qts) resolved the problem, no long-term damage fortunately.

Remember to check the fluid with the engine running and the transmission in park (if your coach is on a Ford chassis). There are marks for cold and hot, generally you are OK if the level is between the marks.

Good Luck!
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem driving my new-to-me 2000 suncruiser 35u off the dealer's lot. Turned out that the cable had come loose from it's mounting under the dash. There is a plastic tab that holds the outer part of the cable stationary so the cable can move inside it. If the tab comes loose, the cable won't shift properly. Try looking under the dash and follow the cable from the shift lever. See if you can find a clip or tab on the cable. If so, make sure it is attached to the stationary mating surface, probably on the steering column somewhere.

Once I identified the problem and put the tab back in place, I used a zip tie to hold it from coming off again. Hope yours is a simple fix, too!

Bob
INSPECTORBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Won't go in reverse!

I am still having the same problem! I filled the transmission with fluid, I made sure the jacks were all the way up, and the cable seems to be fine going into the shifter. I even tried putting it in neutral to roll or pull it back with my truck but it won't even roll. It goings into drive but that's it. Feels like the gears are locked when I shift into reverse. Can anyone help please?
Old 08-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

check your parking brake on the tail of your trans my father had trouble a few years back with that same model and it was something to do with the parking brake I cant remeber exactly what the issue was but I know he ended up replacing the parking brake and it was strange that it only affected reverse. I will try and give him a call and to see what the problem was.
jscobra97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I would greatly appreciated it. I have to resolve the problem in the next 10 days before I get fined for having it at home. Owners Association being a pain in the...
Old 08-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Dadzscorp, does your coach automatically apply the emergency brake when you put the transmission in Park. If so you could check the transmission linkage to see if needs an adjustment to allow the parking brake to release. It may be going into reverse, but the brake is set so it won't move, same when you put it in neutral. That would explain it working in drive okay, but not moving while, in neutral or reverse.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Dadscorp, also check to see if you have the parking brake attached to the rear of the tranny, a drum style unit, my 89 allegro was a vacum operated system and the belt broke and i couldnt get the brake to release, ended up having to pull the pin on the drum to release it to get home.
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I know you don't have the same drivetrain as my rig, as mine is a 2000, but here is a TSB I found for a Ford. You may want to check with your manufacturer to see if you have a similar problem. Hope this helps.
Bob

"• DRIVEABILITY—LOW POWER CONDITION WHILE Article No.
IN REVERSE GEAR—VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 02-2-1
6.8L 2V ENGINE, 4R100 TRANSMISSION AND PTO
OPTION ONLY
• TRANSMISSION—4R100—LOW POWER CONDITION
WHILE IN REVERSE GEAR—VEHICLES EQUIPPED
WITH 6.8L 2V ENGINE, 4R100 TRANSMISSION AND
PTO OPTION ONLY

FORD: 2000-2001 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
ISSUE Some vehicles equipped with the 6.8L-2V engine, and
4R100 transmission and PTO option may exhibit a
low power condition while in reverse gear. This may
be caused by the calibration of the Powertrain
Control Module (PCM).
ACTION
Verify the condition. If the condition exists,
reprogram the PCM with an updated calibration. If
the condition persists after the reprogram, continue
with normal diagnostics to pinpoint the condition.
Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
Verify that a low power or lack of power condition
exists while in reverse. Prior to performing any
service procedures, verify tear tag information.
Refer to the PCM Calibration Information Chart in
this article. If the calibration is not at the latest
level, follow the procedures found in the Powertrain
Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Workshop
Manual to reprogram the PCM to latest calibration
level."
INSPECTORBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Dadzcorp,
Did you get it resolved? I have a 94 winnebago Itasca 34RA with a P30 frame and 454 chevy. I am a newbe also. I have experienced the same problem three times since I have owned the MH. It is really puzzeling. According to my manual for the chev, it appears that this "AUTO BRAKE"
94bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Dadzcorp,
Do you have a Chevy frame P30? Do you have an "AUTO BRAKE" lite that comes on when you put in park? And does it go away when you take out of park and put in R, N or D? When you are experiencing the "wont move in R" but will move in D problem, does the AB lite come on when it will not move and go away when it will move? If I am understanding my manual correctly, it appears that the AB works off of the power steering pump fluid/pressure. As I stated, I have had the same problem on three diff occasions. I checked my tranny fluid and the power steering fluid. They both checked ok. I was sure that the tranny was fine because I could tell that in R, it was trying to move but something was holding it back like the emergency brake or something. On mine there is some linkage(appx (6-8") long that is connected to the steering colum underneath. The linkage goes from the steering colum to a lever towards the front of coach. There is a button type switch that is actuated by this lever. When shifter is moved from P to N and D, the lever actuates the button that tells the AB to release when I pull it out of P. I disconnected this 6-8" linkage and manually pushed the lever so that it would allow the AB to release so that I could use Reverse. I did that the first two times that the problem appeared and it worked both times. I adjusted this linkage (very little) 1/8" at most to force it to accuate the button on the lever a little quicker when shifting into R. The problem happen again after I adjusted the linkage. URGH! I tried back tracking in my mind as to what was similar in all three cases. My conclusion-------and I have not had a chance to duplicate the problem so as to confirm my conclusion is as follows------I think each time it has happened was when the engine was heating up from shuffling coach BACK-FORTH to get in a tight parking spot. Because the last time it happened it was working fine when the engine was at 195 or so and it moved up to about 220 or so and it quit moving in R and the AB lite came on. I purposely let it set for a couple of hrs to cool down and it worked perfectly. But what bugs me is when the problem in R acted up with the engine @ 220 or so, the AB lite would still work properly in N and D????
Any ideas from some seasoned RVers would be greatly appreciated by two newbes!
Good Luck,
James
Old 08-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hello Spikester,
Thanks for the info. Would you pls look at my reply to DADZCORP and give me you idea on my issue?
Thanks,
James