Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winterizing the RV

Different topic:
When use winterize your RV, do you always use compressed air? If so, would the air in a gas station be ok, or do you use a different source?

Once your winterization is done and all water is drained, do you leave the faucets open, to prevent moisture from being trapped in the lines during the winter season?
Old 09-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockelino View Post
Different topic:
When use winterize your RV, do you always use compressed air? If so, would the air in a gas station be ok, or do you use a different source?

Once your winterization is done and all water is drained, do you leave the faucets open, to prevent moisture from being trapped in the lines during the winter season?
As you state - different topic. You should start a new topic because no one will find your off topic question here.

Don't use gas station air - too high of pressure. Get a compressor and regulate down to 35-50 psi. I recommend RV antifreeze myself following a quick blow out. It's too difficult for me to blow out some of the systems like the wash machine and dishwasher, but it can be done.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Ok, thanks. I saw this air compressor on amazon (it's 120V AC, which I want, as opposed to 12V DC): https://smile.amazon.com/CARTMAN-AC-...pressor+120+ac

Since it has the tire inflation adapter at the end, how do I connect this to the "City Water" connection in my RV (as the RV owner manual directs)?

EDIT: Found the answer, I need a standard "blow out" plug. Question for those who used these plugs before: do you recommend brass or plastic plug?
Old 09-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #4
Site Team

I’ve moved your question to its own thread. When asking a new question you should always start your own thread rather than interrupt some other member’s thread.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’ve moved your question to its own thread. When asking a new question you should always start your own thread rather than interrupt some other member’s thread.

Hope this helps.
Funny that you mentioned that, because I was the OP of that thread.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I use a brass blowout plug because we camp all winter and feel it will last longer. If it is only used once a year or thereabout either should hold up ok. When blowing out I use 40 lbs of pressure. I also make sure my drained water heater is bypassed and lines already drained via the low point drains. I then hookup the air and blowout the lines one faucet at a time starting at the furthest one. When I don't get any more water I open the low point drains to let out any water that might have settled there. At this point if I lived up north, we live in NC, where the trailer sits all winter I would pump RV antifreeze into the water lines. As we don't I just open all the faucets and low point drains and leave it. One other thing is I also remove the water line from the back of the toilet and open the valve to drain any residual water before hooking the line back up. The last thing is to put some RV antifreeze into all of the drains, the holding tanks and toilet bowl to keep them from freezing. I put about a 1/2 gallon into each empty holding tank and whatever seems like enough for the traps.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockelino View Post
Funny that you mentioned that, because I was the OP of that thread.
Sorry, I knew that when I moved the posts to a new thread but forgot about it when I wrote the post notifying you.

Still, the best way is to start new threads on new topics- even though your OP was a combination of a number of questions.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I made my blow out adapter -- short piece of hose with a male end to screw into the inlet at the motorhome and then I put a quick connect on the other end using a hose clamp. I use my home air compressor set at 40 PSI and connect it up after I have drained the low points and by passed the water heater (which has also been drained). Then I open each faucet one at a time and blow out the cold water line and then the hot water line. Do this at each faucet -- including the outside shower one (if you have an outside shower). Don't forget to blow out the toilet as water will stay in the valve behind the toilet. Then I put antifreeze in each drain and pour about a gallon in each waste tank.