Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winterizing -Can you recommend an Air Compressor?

I'm winterizing my rig this week.........What would you recommend in terms of an Air Compressor to run the water out out of the lines of my 2016 Winnebago Adventurer?
I want something that is powerful enough to do the job ........thanks,
Randy
coachrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Power is not a factor if you are speaking of the pressure most any compressor will put out. Actually one of the hazards involved is getting too much pressure and letting it blow some line.
Ten PSI will do it but I more likely use 20-30 as it does it somewhat quicker! For the short, small lines we have in RV, most any small compressor will do if it will pump up a tire.
When looking for tools, I like to go with things that have several different uses, so on compressors, I go with the small size tanks and use them for tires on several vehicles from bikes, wheelbarrows to cars and RV. I blow out all kinds of filters to extend their life and you need a fair amount of volume to get a quick job done.

I don't favor the super small promoted to carry in the RV as they tend to be a bummer for lots of other uses I find around the house but they are likely large enough to move water in RV lines.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Morich is right, pressure should be regulated to below 50psi, 30 is better. Capacity/volume matters, not pressure.
Be advised, air pressure alone will not totally eliminate all water from your plumbing, there can be sags in water lines that allow moisture to pool, and when cold enough, freeze.
That is for the pressurized lines, drain lines cannot be blown-out with air pressure, "P" traps must have RV antifreeze in them to prevent freezing.
Same for a clothes washer, the pump cannot be cleared of water with air pressure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Since you do live where the cold is real, maybe a combo to really make sure is worth doing. I look at the benefits versus what it costs to make a mistake, so do more than many on the winterize when I'm in cold country.

I blow the lines out to get most of the waterout and that "might" work but I wantto be sure.
I then go back with adding pink antifreeze to mix with any water left. Then I blow the antifreeze out into jugs to save for the next time!
With the water heater bypassed and since time is little value, I find this lets me sleeping being CERTAIN I'm safe!
Costs very little as most of the antifreeze is blown out and back into the jugs!
Old 11-07-2022, 09:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I use a pancake compressor that I carry to add air to my tires if need be. I have a Class A with tires pressurized to 85 PSI so I normally have the pressure cranked up as high as it will go, about 95 PSI.

When I winterize, I crank the air compressor outlet air pressure down to 35 PSI. THIS IS CRITICAL. Use of any air pressure above 40 PSI runs the risk of damage to the plumbing lines.

Finally:

If you winterize with compressed air be sure to BRIEFLY FOR ONLY ABOUT 5 SECONDS move the city / fill selector to the fill position WITH THE WATER TANK DRAIN OPEN to clear water out of the line between the selector and the water tank. Any longer runs risk of putting air pressure into the fresh water tank and rupturing it.

The air method does not clear the line between the water tank and the water pump. Be sure to remove the plastic cap from the water debris filter on the inlet side of the water pump. I leave it off while winterized.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Hi CoachRB,
I would recommend an oil-free compressor and a new hose. You do not want oil residue in your water lines.
Eagle5
Old 11-08-2022, 03:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

All of the above posts are great by knowledgeable folks. I am going to try and change your mind about ONLY blowing out the lines.

The pink RV antifreeze cost nothing compared to the damage a small amount of water in your system can do. I would rather spend the money on 3 gal of antifreeze instead of hundreds on frozen plumbing items.

You live where it gets cold, freezing cold. If you feel the need to blow the lines out do that but then at least do antifreeze. Every year I use 3 gal to winterize, even now when I live in Branson where I could just blow the lines out. But last year we had some very cold nights where I was glade I had the pink stuff in the lines. When I lived in Iowa I made sure the pink stuff was in.

There I have said enough and hope I changed your mind
Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

The problems of freezing are something that I dealt with every winter when I owned rental property in SW Missouri. It freezes every year there and I rented to many college students who were often young and not used to taking care of a house. So they made mistakes if I did not stay alert!
It is far easier to work extra to prevent errors than to fix the results!

Water doesn't just freeze when it is confined, it freezes when it may not be expected! Bird baths are totally open for the water to expand but they break every year around here because poeple are not alert to the hazard! I might guess there are more frozen /broken pipes in Austin when it get cold than in Iowa where folks are ready for it!
This part of Texas "assumes" winter is not meant for them and we suffer every year when it does come around! When it does get cold and the state turns the power off, things freeze! DUH!

A few tablespoons of water that settle in an elbow can break when it freezes!
Old 11-08-2022, 10:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Rather than buying a big compressor, most any tank style compressor for like a brad nailer works well. I’ve recently started using a 12v inflator because I’m too lazy to run an extension cord out to my rv. It does not have much volume, so it works better if you keep the low point drains closed when you blow the faucets. Then open the low points to drain the remaining water. We don’t have severe winters, so I don’t run pink into the lines, but in Iowa, I’d be running pink into the lines after blowing tubes. But it’s important to make sure you get as much water out as possible because pink becomes very ineffective when diluted. Many people forget to focus on thoroughly blowing out the toilet. Water trapped in the toilet valve can lead to a PITA repair. Pink in p-traps a must.
Old 11-08-2022, 11:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I guess I've been lucky for the last 35 years. All I use is an air compressor set at 40 psi. Open low point drains and all faucets. Hook up air compressor and let it run for 15 minutes while closing faucets one at a time, making sure there is always one open. When I only feel moist air blowing out, I shut off the compressor and let things sit for 10 minutes. Then the whole procedure gets repeated. Then pink stuff goes in the traps. Have never had a problem even with 20 below temps.

Also have 2 50 foot hoses on hose reels outside of the house. Do basically the same thing with them. Blow them out, let them sit 10 minutes and blow them out again, never had a problem. What little water remains has room to expand kind of like an ice cube tray that doesn't break when the water freezes.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:57 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I have a 6 gal Porter Cable pancake that I have strapped to the wall in the same compartment with the inverter. An outlet strip is plugged into an outlet on the inverter, and the compressor into that. It's 150psi max so works great for filling tires, and turned down to ~30psi works great for blowing out the water lines. I screwed a couple of hitch ring plates to the back wall of the compartment and hook a bungee cord around the compressor to hold it in place while traveling.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrb View Post
I'm winterizing my rig this week.........What would you recommend in terms of an Air Compressor to run the water out out of the lines of my 2016 Winnebago Adventurer?
I want something that is powerful enough to do the job ........thanks,
Randy

Most portable compressors do not generate enough volume to get water out. It can help some but I would still use the RV antifreeze stuff.
After draining all the tanks and by-passing the water heater I use water pump suction side to run "pink" through each line till it comes out the faucet and flush the toilet.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I bought this 4 years ago and never had a problem or looked back and wanted something else.
Viair 400P - 40047 RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit, Tire Pump, Truck/SUV Tire Inflator, Silver, For up To 35 Inch Tires
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I haven't looked up your coach but you should not blow out your air lines if your coach has an Aqua-Hot system for hot water. If you have an AH system, consult your manual.

I would also suggest that you get an air compressor which can supply you with 20-30 psi above your minimum tire inflation pressure so that it is a compressor you can use for everything and not just for winterizing.

Otherwise you are good to go with the advice you have received.
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:32 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

The Viar I use is good for everything. Tire winterizing blowing up our inflatable kayak. The whole kit is smaller than the compressors with a tank. The one I think I bought was this to ensure when winterizing my pressure does not get too high.
AR2000 1/4 Inch NPT Air-Compressor Accessories Pressure Regulator For Compressed Air Systems ,Adjust 0 to 145 Psi

Checked and this was the one I actually bought:
VIAIR 90145 RV Winterization Kit

I bought this kit for inflating my kayak
Oumers Inflatable SUP Pump Adaptor Air Pump Converter, 4 Standards Conventional Air Valve Attachment for Inflatable Boat, Stand Up Paddle Board, Inflatable Bed, Etc.

Viair has several models and models might have changed since I bought mine 4 years ago, so do your comparison shopping.
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, winter