Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winterize Jounrney 39Z Coolant Hog

So I have winterized a few things in my days like our lake house every year and I have had numerious RV's that I have winterized. So just bought this coach a few months ago. It never seen a winter always garaged. I will be putting it inside but it wont be heated. So I wanted to make sure it was good to go.

I put quick fittings on all of our stuff makes it clean and easy. So this one I did the normal blow out the lines with regulated air pressure at 45 psi. First drained off the hot water tank and also blew that out. Then switched the water heater over to by pass mode. I then put the siphon hose in the 5 gal pail and started to turn on the faucets. Sort of a double precaution not sure why but I did both air and coolant. Even though I never had an issue blowing the lake house out or a RV and putting water down the traps

With this coach I went through like 7.5 gallons of RV coolant and there were no leaks, double checked the by-pass for the heater and it was on used the siphon setting to suck it out of the bucket. So if I shot the faucets off thye oump didnt shut off until it emptied the bucket?

I think in the past the most antifreeze Ive used in a coach was like 2-3 gallons at most?
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

7.5 gallons is a lot. Check your water heater bypass valves again. Sounds like you may have opened the bypass valve but did not shut off the valves to the water heater and it filled with antifreeze.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I might want to check the fresh water tank to see if there is a bunch of pink there?
Depending on the age of your RV, you might also find value in looking at the parts catalog where you can study the layout of the lines to get a better idea of where they run and where the pink may have gone.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

But a 39 foot will have quite a lot more line to fill than shorter with less fixtures, etc.
Possible it has a water filter housing to fill?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGT View Post
With this coach I went through like 7.5 gallons of RV coolant
I hope "coolant" was a typo or senior moment?
You meant to say "RV plumbing antifreeze"?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I hope "coolant" was a typo or senior moment?
You meant to say "RV plumbing antifreeze"?
Yes sir very much a typo it was pink RV antifreeze. Owning a shop I guess I get use to using the word antifreeze because we have so os many different kinds for different applictaions. So when witerizing or changing any coolant or any fluids as a matter a fact you need to verify your using the right stuff.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I might want to check the fresh water tank to see if there is a bunch of pink there?
Depending on the age of your RV, you might also find value in looking at the parts catalog where you can study the layout of the lines to get a better idea of where they run and where the pink may have gone.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

But a 39 foot will have quite a lot more line to fill than shorter with less fixtures, etc.
Possible it has a water filter housing to fill?

I'm going to go back out there I did look at their diagrams and maybe I have to look deeper but I didnt even notice the picture of the by-pass valve for the hot water tank in under the living room TV.

I know some have two valves for hot water but I only seen the one. Does anyone have a 39Z Journey and know if there is more than one by-pass valve for the hot water. I switched it to siphon mode so that it by passes the fresh tank
Old 12-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

2008 wWin Tour

I went from a 32 foot Vista to the Tour and I find that I use about 6-7 gallons of Antifreeze. Definitely longer plumbing runs and I have a whole coach filter reservoir to fill. I also make sure to have a gallon in the fresh water tank just in case and some in each of the black and grey water tanks, so I am sure that is a little overkill. But I’d rather be safe than sorry.
snlahaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My 2018 Forza 38F will us 7/8 gallons of antifreeze . The Tecma electric toilet alone will use 2
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGT View Post
I know some have two valves for hot water but I only seen the one. Does anyone have a 39Z Journey and know if there is more than one by-pass valve for the hot water. I switched it to siphon mode so that it by passes the fresh tank
I have a 2009 Journey 34Y and it only had one by pass valve.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Yep pretty much what I determined and it appears the valve is defective. So now I have probbaly gal of coolant in my hot water tank. I will have to see how the valve comes a part and replave and then drain the coolant out

Tags
winter