Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

winter storage - Micro Minnie

After my trailer was winterized it was my intention to cover the trailer and keep it parked at my residence. However, I had second thoughts after a friend of mine advised be that you can damage the glossy coat gel on the fiberglass panels of your Winnibego trailer should your trailer cover move at all with the windy weather that we often are subject to. He advised me that the finish on his camper was quit scuffed as he discovered in the Spring when he removed the cover.

A check in my area which includes two RV dealers as well as a couple of open fenced compounds where there are many rv trailers in storage over the winter. Very few trailers in the storage yards are covered with any kind of custom covers, there are a few but most travel trailers and RV's are not covered.

I put my trailer in a covered storage shed for the winter and if I will not be using the travel trailer for longer periods.

How do you store your travel trailers? How used open storage and who actually covers their trailers and RV/s
TrailerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
we've owned motorhomes since 1986 and stored them uncovered during the winter.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

This is the second winter for our Minnie Winnie. We covered it last year with a quality brand cover and made sure it fit well and cinched down tightly. When we removed it in spring there were no ill effects whatsoever. This winter we didn't cover it partly due to tight quarters and also it occurred to us that the rig survived quite nicely for three uncovered winters before we bought it (it belonged to a motorhome rental company) and was in perfect condition when we bought it.

I'm retired military and living near a huge military base that has RV storage lots and charge "only" $270 for six months storage. The lots are fenced, have surveillance systems, and automatic gates with electronic "keys" with 24 hour access. I do miss not having Winnie in the driveway, but its just not practical during our Alaskan winters.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We use ours pretty much year round except maybe January when we have coldest temperatures and snowiest/iciest weather. I store it uncovered at the house on a concrete paver pad I added onto the driveway. As we have a lot of trees I do go out periodically to blow any debris off of the roof and when warm enough give it a wash.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter