Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Winnie or HWH for Slide Adjustment?

Would I be better off having Winnie in Forest City peform slide adjustments for me or would a trip to HWH make more sense? I'll be in the neighborhood of both in the next month or so. I'll certainly be getting work done at Winnie and have been planning to hit HWH as well but someone suggested Winnie would be a good place to have slides checked out.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

HWH has an excellent reputation for customer service but I would think that Winnebago has more experience adjusting the slides since they install so many of them.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Rick, I had the same question/concern. We are planning to be in Iowa in late September and I want my slide bushings replaced and any necessary adjustments made. While HWH makes the hydraulic mechanisms for the slides, Winne designs and installs the slide in the coach. So, I figured we would go to the factory and have an appointment on Sept. 27. I also want them to inspect my slide seals. Also, will get to tour the factory.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I think that makes sense for me too. I'll be there a month before you so I'll report back on how it goes.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago quoted me four and a half hours labor to adjust my living room slide. That was after charging me 1/2 hour to diagnose adjustment and tell me it is not really need just right now. Just the "step up" of the slide was adjusted all the way to max currently. I am thinking of removing the carpet and putting down wood or tile in it's place so wanted to know how much adjustment I had in case I need to raise the slide. BTW they had a special at the factory while I was there for carpet removal for $1,600. Price included 32 tiles installed. I guess you paid per tile if you needed more.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Winnebago quoted me four and a half hours labor to adjust my living room slide. That was after charging me 1/2 hour to diagnose adjustment and tell me it is not really need just right now. Just the "step up" of the slide was adjusted all the way to max currently. I am thinking of removing the carpet and putting down wood or tile in it's place so wanted to know how much adjustment I had in case I need to raise the slide. BTW they had a special at the factory while I was there for carpet removal for $1,600. Price included 32 tiles installed. I guess you paid per tile if you needed more.
Ouch that 4.5 hrs sounds expensive but from other stories I've heard, that $1600 is actually cheap with 32 tiles...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Rick, I had the same question/concern. We are planning to be in Iowa in late September and I want my slide bushings replaced and any necessary adjustments made. While HWH makes the hydraulic mechanisms for the slides, Winne designs and installs the slide in the coach. So, I figured we would go to the factory and have an appointment on Sept. 27. I also want them to inspect my slide seals. Also, will get to tour the factory.
Was there (HWH) last Sept. for a leak and hose replacements. They also replaced the bushings and there charges were minimal. Slides worked OK tho.
Richard
Old 07-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We were just at HWH and I did ask them if they could verify the level of the slide and adjust if needed. He told me that they did not do that...could but didn't because as long as the mechanism to move the slide was working their end was OK. He suggested to take it to the factory.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

What about the rubber seals around the slide. Is that Winnebago or HWH?

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The seals are supplied and installed by Winnebago. HWH just supplies the mechanism and associated hydraulics that move the slides in and out.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
What about the rubber seals around the slide. Is that Winnebago or HWH?

Don
Don, they told me that slide seals can last many years. I have had one small leak at the lower rear of the bedroom slide so I just want them to inspect the seals. They did say there is a re-designed seal so I may just have them replace the seals on that slide.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

RickO

See my reply today under "Full side slide reliable"

NANYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Thanks Navyblue. That's reassuring. It certainly sounds like the Winnie factory is going to be the best place for most slide issues.

I had my coach back there before and really enjoyed the tour. I made the mistake of passing through town the week before the GNR. This was before I knew what the GNR even was. I called ahead for an appointment and was told they weren't taking appts all month but since I was only going to be in the area on those days that I could come on in, show up at 7am and they'd work me in. I was impressed at the time but now that I know what the GNR entails I'm even more impressed.

My coach in nearly 4 years old now and I'm still glad I bought a Winnie...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD