Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago's "Level Best" leveling System

I have a 2007 Vista 33T. My rear leveling jacks are down and the front are up. The rear jacks will not come up. The system is filled with Dexton, but the jacks are still not coming up. Any ideas?
tedskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi, welcome. You asked your question twice in two different VERY OLD threads. I deleted one in a 6 year old thread, and moved this one from a 1 year old thread into it's very own thread.

We're glad you're here and want you to get answers to your question but it's always better to start a new thread for YOUR exact issue rather than post your question on a couple of very old threads on similar subjects.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

thank you for your help
Old 12-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
1999 chieftain 33

Make sure your levers are in the right position and spray the cylinders with wd40 then power up the system and try to extend the jack to Max down again spray the cylinders and again put levers in retract position try to get pry bar under jack plate to assist the springs. I had one stuck and this worked . HWH only charged about 125 to rebuild cyl. Do not touch the shinny shaft with anything that could Nick it.
carlwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Let's kill some bugs!

The worst case scenario is the valves in your jack controller are stuck. If you cannot get the jacks to retract so you can take it to the dealer for repair, loosening the hydraulic hoses SLOWLY at each rear jack to let the hydraulic fluid out, releasing the pressure is a dangerous but viable way to let the spring pull the jack up. Be careful to avoid getting sprayed with fluid, make sure you're wearing safety goggles. I would also jack up the RV with a lever-pump 5 ton hydraulic jack, and put the rear axle on stands so both rear jacks are off the ground, preventing the RV suddenly descending on your body while under the RV loosening the hoses. Once the pressure of the hydraulic fluid is released, the jack spring should retrieve the jack to the up position, allowing you to take the RV to the dealer. This is messy too, so be prepared to clean up some hydraulic fluid from the surface below. Use a bucket to capture the majority of the fluid. Drape a towel over the hydraulic ram so it has to drip down, preferably into a bucket.

If you don't feel confident with this job, call a mobile RV mechanic to help.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sitting here freezing my a$$ off the first thing I think of is they're frozen to the ground.
But since you're in a motorhome odds are it's a little warmer where you are.

First question, are you referring to the system pictured here?
Second question, does the system sound like it's trying to lift the jacks?

If two jacks are not responding it sounds like a control unit issue.
Worst case you can try the: Control Panel Jumper Instructions page 7 of the attached operators manual.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf level best operators.pdf (2.05 MB, 295 views)

Picture Posting Guide
charge-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the responses the only question I have is do I push the oil up button and engage the Moto while I'm trying to bleed the hydraulic hose lines to raise the jacks
Old 12-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

"tedskeet Thanks for all the responses the only question I have is do I push the oil up button and engage the Moto while I'm trying to bleed the hydraulic hose lines to raise the jacks"

Do not loosen the hydraulic line if you are pressing the all up button. The jacks on the level best are Hydraulic down, and hydraulic up. Pressing the all up button will engage the hydraulic pump and you will end up with a high pressure release. It sounds like the solenoids that control the rear jacks has either failed or the controller has failed.

As charge it stated
"If two jacks are not responding it sounds like a control unit issue.
Worst case you can try the: Control Panel Jumper Instructions page 7 of the attached operators manual."

If the Jumper Instructions fail to get the result you need. Loosening the Hydraulic line on Each jack cylinder individually will relieve the pressure on that jack when you try to force the jack up. Make sure power is off to the system if you do that. Easiest to just unplug the connector on the back of the controller.

Stay Safe and Good Luck
Old 12-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmckinley View Post
"tedskeet Thanks for all the responses the only question I have is do I push the oil up button and engage the Moto while I'm trying to bleed the hydraulic hose lines to raise the jacks"
The RV should be OFF, and don't turn on the jack system. Once you relieve the hydraulic pressure from the hose by loosening the hose at each jack, the spring will pull the jack up. If it doesn't go up by itself, you can use a 2X4 to help it up, but it should retract by itself.

The goal is to retract the jack to the up position so you can take it to be repaired. Once the jack is up, re-tighten the hose so it doesn't leak while driving, and don't turn on the system until you get to the shop, to demonstrate the problem.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

thanks to all of you guys ill be trying to fix it tomorrow morning I will give an update then if all else fails I will call a rv tech to come to the house.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

new control panel 1 week old
Old 12-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmckinley View Post

Do not loosen the hydraulic line if you are pressing the all up button. The jacks on the level best are Hydraulic down, and hydraulic up. Pressing the all up button will engage the hydraulic pump and you will end up with a high pressure release. It sounds like the solenoids that control the rear jacks has either failed or the controller has failed.

As charge it stated
"If two jacks are not responding it sounds like a control unit issue.
Worst case you can try the: Control Panel Jumper Instructions page 7 of the attached operators manual."

If the Jumper Instructions fail to get the result you need. Loosening the Hydraulic line on Each jack cylinder individually will relieve the pressure on that jack when you try to force the jack up. Make sure power is off to the system if you do that. Easiest to just unplug the connector on the back of the controller.

Stay Safe and Good Luck
This information is accurate. Pay no attention to all the responses talking about springs, that is not the system you have.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsrv View Post
This information is accurate. Pay no attention to all the responses talking about springs, that is not the system you have.
Hmm, sorry. I thought the 2007 Vista had Power Gear jacks with the retrieval springs. Am I wrong?
Old 12-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Whenever I have a problem with the jacks, first thing I do is "reboot" the system. Here's how:

Unscrew the control panel from the dash. Disconnect all the leads from the back. Technically you only need to disconnect the power lead but if unsure, just go ahead and disconnect everything. Wait 30 seconds then plug them all back in. Before you even bother to re-attach the panel to the dash, go ahead and try to retract your jacks. If that works then re-attach.

Good luck.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
Hmm, sorry. I thought the 2007 Vista had Power Gear jacks with the retrieval springs. Am I wrong?
In fact most of the RV Jacks do have return springs but the Kwikee Level Best does not. The jack rams are double acting so they are pushed both up and down with the hydraulic pump. Each jack has two hoses times four jacks for a total of eight hoses all going to individual solenoids on the pump all controlled by the control board. The jacks will only work in pairs, you cannot put one jack up and down as the coach builder was concerned with tweaking the chassis too much and cracking a windshield or worse.

Not being there to diagnose this problem we can only make educated guesses but the control board is probably where I would start. I'll bet the problem is electrical as the odds of two solenoids failing at the same time is pretty slim.

A couple of years ago while traveling across country I tried to put down my Level Best jacks and nothing happened. I quickly found that the Bosch style relay was the problem. I tapped on it and everything worked. I went to a rural Texas auto parts store and paid too much for a new relay. I still have not changed the relay it is in the glove box waiting, Murphy's Law I guess. The jacks have been working fine since.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have an '08 Sightseer. From time-to-time, using the control switch at the dash and the "all up" button, my rear jacks are very slow to respond. However, if I use the "store" button in the wet bay, the rears go up without any hesitation. Check your other control points, if you have them, to see if they make any difference.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbud View Post
I have an '08 Sightseer. From time-to-time, using the control switch at the dash and the "all up" button, my rear jacks are very slow to respond. However, if I use the "store" button in the wet bay, the rears go up without any hesitation. Check your other control points, if you have them, to see if they make any difference.
Wow, this is a fantastic idea I actually forgot all about the remote switch and have never used it on ours. Certainly worth a try and easy to do.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #18
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Looking for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbud View Post
I also Have a 2008 sightseer. I wonder why using a different “switch” would make a difference.

I also wonder if there is somewhere that our systems are explained. I’ve looked in a lot of searches but no gold. I was interested to hear about the “best” system that uses hydraulic up an down actions vs spring returns. Knowing that I will be more careful if I ever see a hydrologist Cylinder with two hoses.

Back to a post that explains the system. Where things are located, what to do to bypass a solenoid (just pitting in devices no idea if they all have them) etc etc

Got to go the oven buzzer is saying “dinner time”
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Use your jumper. It is a control problem. The controller will cost around $1,000. Sorry , not good news but true.
shutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

FYI. Most of the posts are about HWH. You will know when a spring is mentioned. Level Best does not have Springs which you know by now.
shutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, winnebago