Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago VISTA 27N 2014 Camera Monitor

Need help trying to leave on trip and the Camera Monitor is not working correctly. This one is a bit difficult to explain but let me try.

1. Rear camera works fine until you turn on the Headlight switch at that point the camera goes to the LH Side and locks in that position. The key controls do not work and camera monitor shows only the LH Side. Turn headlight switch off and camera reverts to rear view and all keys are functional.

2. LH side headlights work but running lights do not. Bulb is ok and turn signals work.

3. If I wiggle the headlight switch the monitor goes from blank to no signal.

It appears to me the headlight switch is bad or poor connection however all the problems seem to be on the drivers side of unit. Has anyone experienced this problem and can you help me with headlight switch replacement suggestions. I will remove the radio tomorrow morning and check the back of monitor for loose wires. Headlight switch is a bit difficult like I said Left and right headlights work but left side running lights do not work.

Difficult one for me but maybe someone has experienced the same or similar.
rereaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Does sound like a bad one there as I don't think of any point where the monitor and headlights should be very close. When you say running lights,do you mean the other bulbs at the front which might be called second headlights or are you speaking of the small lights along the side? The wiring for the rear camera and the wires for the upper small lights at the rear do run alongside in the space at the top of the left wall, but doesn't seem likely to be there. The headlight type running lights do go through the light switch though if those are what you mean, so the switch does sound suspect.
Since it does sound like a cross of some weird sort and you do get a reaction from the light switch, I might go at that point first and look for any wear or bare spots from other wiring crossing through.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply, the lights I'm refer to are the two lights other than the main headlight, one of which is the turn signal. I assume the headlight switch is tied into the monitor therefore the fact that I can wiggle the switch and cause a reaction on the monitor is the only reason I suspect a bad switch. How can I obtain a wiring diagram for the headlight switch and the monitor. I tried looking at the Winnebago site but I can not figure out how to obtain the diagram I need. It appears that the only way to check monitor wires is to remove the radio, not sure how to remove the headlight switch but it must me possible. Again, thanks for your help, leaving on trip Tuesday and cannot get into local dealer before leaving. I guess I will just drive without headlights so I have a monitor to check toad or maybe switch headlights for while then monitor for a while. LOL.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This is where we get into a bad situation as the headlights are part of the chassis and that means they are not part of the Winnebago drawings, putting us squarely back into the realm where the chassis builders, (Ford?) keep that info very closely guarded. And to make it more grinding, Winnebago has been reducing the online wiring info, dropping actual schematic drawings since 2010, to the point that it is very difficult to get info on a wire by wire issue.
I have not needed to go that way yet but assume that if/when I do need to get into the body/chassis wiring, I will have to try to search out the info from the Ford side of things and I have never felt good on that part in the past.
It may help to go to books at auto parts stores for info on the Ford chassis but I have not been that route.
Kind of leaves me thinking I may have to just look blindly at things if it goes wrong on the chassis part.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Upon further review???
How does it work in your RV ason dimming the headlights? Is it part of the turn signal switch to flip up/down to go from highlights to dim?
Run over the idea that the crossed paths on wiring might be easier to think of if the turn signal switch was defective if your system is like that as that would make the wiring for the headlights going through the same part as the left/right turn signal wiring.
This thinking make any sense? When headlights are off, the backup camera is okay but when headlights are on there is power from them crossing to the backup camera wiring at the turn signal as that is where the camera gets the signal for which camera to use?
Perhaps a plastic part in the turn signal switch has broken down and letting wires just kind of choose what path to take?
Trying to come up with where the camera and the headlights might get together and that is the best wild story I can make!
Old 09-12-2020, 01:24 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I think you're on to something suspecting the turn signal switch, which is also the headlight dimmer.

You might try disconnecting the turn signal feed to the back of your monitor, and manually switch your camera left, right, and back with the menu buttons.

If it all works correctly even with the headlight on, it's got to be the turn signal switch.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I agree with you folks the turn signal might be the cause of my problem. Your idea is surly one of the top things I will be going after today. I hope its possible to get to the monitor wiring through the radio opening maybe if I can get to the back of the monitor then finding the wire feed from the turn signal becomes the next problem. I like the idea of disconnecting the turn signal feed, I really only need the camera in the rear mode so I can keep eye on the toad. I can address the real fix once I get back from my trip.

In addition to your idea associated with turn signal switch, I keep going back to the headlight switch or the feed from the head light switch. My reason, with the headlights off the monitor works fine. The camera switch when the turn signal is used, right and left. It is once the light switch is turned on that the problem develops.

Thanks again, for your feedback and I will be looking into the turn signal idea ASAP. I need to find out who supplied the monitor to Winnebago or Ford maybe call and ask. The monitor supplier might have another possible cause.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Morich, yes the head light switch functions the dimmer. I fully agree the turn signal maybe the cause and I will be going after it today. Do you know how the monitor itself is removed from the dash. I can not find any screws, I assume the thin black beauty ring holds it in place but afraid to start prying without some idea as to how it is held in place. I think removal of the radio will allow me to see the back of the monitor and I have had the radio out so I know how to address that issue.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I've never had to go that far on this one but I have reached the point of looking at what it might take to pull the dash cover up and off as that looks like a pretty straight way to get lots of room to see and work. See all those screws around the dome shape? I was chasing things under the dash and ready to go there but found the right item to avoid it.
It might be too bold a move for right before a trip but when you have time, that might give access to see the radio, monitor and lots more of the wiring to actually try to see where it goes.
I would like to have actual wiring schematics to show where each wire goes instead of the wire ID but we gotta go with what we got!
Old 09-13-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I think you can reach the back of the radio by removing the dome shroud. Should be easy.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to everyone who replied, I think the problem is solved. I can tell you what I did but I do not fully understand why it fixed the problem:

My headlight assembly has three bulbs, corner amber turn signal, center headlight and inboard amber turn signal and running light. The left turn signal corner amber bulb worked fine, the headlight worked, the inboard amber turn signal was out. I decided to repair this light before tearing into the camera issue, so I replaced the 3157 amber bulb which was blown. Guess what camera now works with or without headlight switch, just like it should. So I assume the turn signal bulbs must be operational for the camera to work correctly. I do not have a wiring diagram but again I assume the left camera gets it feed from the left turn signal wiring which seems correct but why a burnt bulb can cause the left camera to lock in place when the headlights switch is activated who knows

So if anyone has a camera lock or shifting problem make sure ALL turn signals are working. Again, thanks for the help.

Tags
camera, winnebago