Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago view 7 pin tow connections problem

I have a 17 view, when I check the terminals for the brake and turn signal I have no voltage.
I used a test light and the volt meter, i do get 12 volts on the test light between the 12 volt power pin and the ground. The rv itself all the brake and turn signal lights work.
So where does the connection for the 7 pin wires connect in at for the brake and turn signal.
Is there a fuse or a missing relay? Anyone have suggestions. I looked at the winnebago wire diagrams but they do not go into any datail.
Patjfrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'm glad you came over here - you are likely to get better responses. However, the responses I gave you on IRV2 are still correct.

Mercedes use of Canbus to control the output to various auxiliary wiring is good engineering but it is not something that use users of American automotive electrical systems are used to. Before I understood how the system worked, I had my dealer check out the system (I had the same complaint you had). Out came a test board with trailer lights attached to it (these are regular incandescent bulb trailer lights), plugged it in to the 7 pin plug, and everything worked as advertised. Why, the Canbus system sensed a load on each circuit and supplied voltage to tha circuit. Your voltmeter and your test light do not supply sufficient load to cause the system to supply the needed voltage.

If you really want to test it, you can use a set of cheap towing lights from Harbor Freight. Make sure they are incandescent bulbs and not LEDs. Plug that in and test your system.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Just tried it with a taillight

Just tried it with a 12 volt large filiment taillight and it did not work but it lights up with 12 volt pin.
So that isn't it
Old 04-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
Site Team

If you can find it by back-tracking the wiring, my gut tells me you have a bad trailer light relay box. You can also check to see if you get the turn circuits and the brake circuit lit-up, on the upstream side of your existing box. If you cannot find the box, then I guess it is some mystic German Engineering brouhaha. Good luck!
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks on the relay, my guess is under drivers seat
Old 04-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I doubt that you are going to find a third party trailer light relay box under the seat. The 7-pin wiring setup is standard to Sprinter chassis and the whole thing is going to be Mercedes. There are fuses under the driver's seat so carefully check those.

I suggest you Google "mercedes sprinter trailer wiring" to get some background information.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

You may also want to contact your MB dealer for more help.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago view 7 pin tow connections problem

Great to have this forum for these problems. I've been chasing the same/similar problem with my 2016 Via caused by a human. Our dash radio failed so I had La Mesa (where we bought the coach) replace it (over $1,000). In the process they messed up the install and the backup camera didn't come on. I returned to La Mesa and they fixed it. A couple of weeks later I hooked up my TOAD and found no lights working on the LED trailer lights I use. And, back to La Mesa who told me it was a MB issue. So, off to MB who has been working over two weeks trying to track down the issue. Now the tech at MB is talking to the tech at La Mesa trying to find out how he messed up the wiring. During this process MB informed me that the MB needs to have a certain resistance at the plug before the lights will work and some LEDs won't provide this so special cable made by Volvo (that is what they said) will fix it. Isn't this fun? This may or may not be of any help. I wish I had never taken it to La Mesa in the first place, I'm not impressed with their work-that's a another post or set of posts.
Cheers,
Bob
brican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

So does any one know how much of a draw is required to trigger the system to respond

Tags
tow, winnebago