Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #1

My 2005 Sightseer came with Velvac mirrors; I believe they are called the 2025 mirrors, which is the model number, not the part number. The flat-glass area is 62.3 sq. inches in size and I ordered and just received the larger (taller) version (V-Max mirror head), which is 98.7 sq. inches. I wanted the taller mirrors so I can see more of the rear roof line when backing up.

Has anyone ever replaced one of the Velvac mirror heads? How easy of a project is it, since both the OEM mirrors and the V-Max are wired for the electric heat and are motorized...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #2

My 2005 Sightseer came with Velvac mirrors; I believe they are called the 2025 mirrors, which is the model number, not the part number. The flat-glass area is 62.3 sq. inches in size and I ordered and just received the larger (taller) version (V-Max mirror head), which is 98.7 sq. inches. I wanted the taller mirrors so I can see more of the rear roof line when backing up.

Has anyone ever replaced one of the Velvac mirror heads? How easy of a project is it, since both the OEM mirrors and the V-Max are wired for the electric heat and are motorized...
Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Richard,

I had an '00 Journey with the smaller mirrors, and I too investigated upgrading my mirrors to the larger ones. I chose to upgrade my coach, which has the larger mirrors, before I upgraded the mirrors on the old coach.

I have talked to Velvac on 2 occasions regarding upgrades, and each time they have told me that they have technical support for such upgrades. Give it a try and let us know how you make out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:18 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
Richard,

I had an '00 Journey with the smaller mirrors, and I too investigated upgrading my mirrors to the larger ones. I chose to upgrade my coach, which has the larger mirrors, before I upgraded the mirrors on the old coach.

I have talked to Velvac on 2 occasions regarding upgrades, and each time they have told me that they have technical support for such upgrades. Give it a try and let us know how you make out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean I could have gotten a new MH just by telling my wife that I needed to upgrade the mirrors? Darn!

I did talk to Velvac tech support to verify that the V-Max mirror head would install with no problems and that the wiring would match up properly. I also downloaded the instructions from their website. The MH is currently at the Workhorse service department, having the rear differential looked at but I will tackle the mirror install as soon as it's back.

For anyone that might be interested in the same upgrade, the Velvac mirrors at my local RV dealer were $410 each. I called Velvac and was quoted $315 each. Did a Google search and came up with a Ryder truck supplies and ordered them for $176 each. The interesting part is that they order them direct from Velvac and are dropped shipped to me direct. I can't understand how a third-party supplier can sell them so much cheaper than when I called Velvac... anyway, I have received them already and look forward to installing them... maybe I'll find the digital camera and take a few 'before'and 'after' shots to post.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
maybe I'll find the digital camera and take a few 'before'and 'after' shots to post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Photos are always appreciated on mods like this. I'm curious to see the difference.

As for the price, pretty normal as the manufacturer doesn't want to undercut its suppliers. Just sad that a dealer wants to jack up the price so high. I would bet that Ryder buys enough for some major discounts, but still a $95 mark up seems high to me personally - thankfully the internet means you don't have to pay those prices if you can spend some time searching.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
maybe I'll find the digital camera and take a few 'before'and 'after' shots to post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Photos are always appreciated on mods like this. I'm curious to see the difference.

As for the price, pretty normal as the manufacturer doesn't want to undercut its suppliers. Just sad that a dealer wants to jack up the price so high. I would bet that Ryder buys enough for some major discounts, but still a $95 mark up seems high to me personally - thankfully the internet means you don't have to pay those prices if you can spend some time searching. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Y-Gun;

I think your 35J has the same OEM mirrors, so the end result might be of interest to you.

When I take the pictures, I'm also going to take some from the drivers' seat perspective... if my math is correct, the glass area will be a 58% increase, though primarily in height. But I think that will greatly increase visibility when backing up with trees nearby.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

At GNR last year Velvac was displaying an add on mirror for the top of the mirror so that you can view the roof line, I believe the price was $65.
Top Hat Mirror
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks John I think I found what you were referencing, here is the <A HREF="http://velvac.thomasnet.com/viewitems/rors-mirror-systems-recreational-specialty-vehicle/top-hat-add-on-convex-mirrors?&forward=1" TARGET=_blank>
Top Hat Add-On Convex Mirrors</A>

That looks like it could be an inexpensive way of getting more coverage.

Richard what site did you find your mirrors on? I wonder if they have these too.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
Thanks John I think I found what you were referencing, here is the <A HREF="http://velvac.thomasnet.com/viewitems/rors-mirror-systems-recreational-specialty-vehicle/top-hat-add-on-convex-mirrors?&forward=1" TARGET=_blank>
Top Hat Add-On Convex Mirrors</A>

Richard what site did you find your mirrors on? I wonder if they have these too. That looks like it could be an inexpensive way of getting more coverage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw the Top-Hats on the Velvac website but I personally didn't care for the over-all look. I think the Top-Hat can be added to either the OEM mirror or the V-Max. The Top-Hat can be adjusted for what would be a third view but that might be a little too much for someone like me to comprehend!!

I ordered my Velvac mirrors from www.RyderFleetProducts.com and they do have a toll-free number listed on their web page. I called both Velvac and Ryder Fleet Products to verify part numbers and proper fitment before ordering. Both companies were extremely helpful in getting the proper information...
Old 06-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
PDI

I had a dealer change mine from fixed to foldingand the dealer got me for $250..0 a piece
Went to the GNR 2006 and bought used ones at the Winnabago junk store for $10.00 a piece. Broke one of the new ones on the way home. Glad I got a deal on in Iowa. The mirror glass just can right out and the used mirror glass went right in
PDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I installed the top hat and they work great. I have them angled so there is no blind spot....could not drive without them. I think they are $80.00 a piece.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by peter griffin:
I installed the top hat and they work great. I have them angled so there is no blind spot....could not drive without them. I think they are $80.00 a piece. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #13

Hello everyone;

In this thread, I had posted that I had purchased new V-Max Velvac mirrors and was going to change out the OEM's. My MH has been at the local Workhorse chassis dealer for the last three weeks having the ring and pinion replaced. (Posted in another thread.)

The MH may be done by this Friday; if so, I may try to replace them this Sunday. I will post additional information and pictures if all goes well with the installation... or not!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #14

Update, sort of...

Got my MH back from Workhorse and removed both OEM mirrors. Installed the passenger side and it was a lot easier than I expected... only had to remove one star bolt, pull the mirror head up, disconnect the wiring clip, reverse the procedure and it was done.

Or so I thought! Pulled out the drivers' side V-Max mirror out of the box and discovered that the convex mirror was broken. When the mirrors first arrived three weeks ago, I happened to pull out the passenger mirror to inspect and all looked great. Wish I had opened both boxes now...

Anyway, below is a picture showing the OEM Velvac mirror vs, the Velvac V-Max mirror head. I guess I could have adjusted the mirrors so they didn't pick up my fence in the image but as you can see, the mirror surface area is greatly improved.

Contacting the supplier Monday and hope to get a replacement before my vacation this coming Saturday. As the English might say, Not bloody likely!'