Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Sunova Speedometer

When I drove my 2005 Winnebago Sunova the other day, the speedometer dial came to rest at about 50 mph and would only go up from there. (At one point, I was going 110+ mph!)
I need to replace something, but I do not know what that is. What kind of connection is there - a cable or an electronic connector of some kind? Or? Is this kind of job I can do myself, or do I need to take it to a shop?
Thank you for your help.
ArlesJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlesJC View Post
When I drove my 2005 Winnebago Sunova the other day, the speedometer dial came to rest at about 50 mph and would only go up from there. (At one point, I was going 110+ mph!)
I need to replace something, but I do not know what that is. What kind of connection is there - a cable or an electronic connector of some kind? Or? Is this kind of job I can do myself, or do I need to take it to a shop?
Thank you for your help.
Is your RV on a Ford or Workhorse (GM) chassis? Whoever can help may need that info.

I'm not much help other than to suggest if you can't find the problem or others here are not able to help find the solution, you can take the RV to most any good auto/truck repair shop and they should be able to fix it.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

At this point in history, I would assume it to be an electronic gizmo and not something most of us could find and fix.
But that is truly just a guess and not based on any recent experience.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Is your RV on a Ford or Workhorse (GM) chassis? Whoever can help may need that info.

I'm not much help other than to suggest if you can't find the problem or others here are not able to help find the solution, you can take the RV to most any good auto/truck repair shop and they should be able to fix it.
Thanks, Al & Sharon!
It's a Workhorse. It might be more complicated that I am able (willing!) to take on.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Perhaps one way to get a somewhat closer look at the problem is to get hands on one of the repair manuals for that year and type chassis and see if there is info on the repair. Also there are times/places where asking the local parts shops will turn up a person who really knows quite a lot about things. A call might be an easy way to get better info?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Try doing an internet search for "2004 workhorse speedometer" and see what info you can find.
I did a Google search and one of the hits is a link to a service manual which MAY be your instrument panel. http://www.oemys-performance.com/med...vicemanual.pdf

Can't hurt to poke around on the internet to see if you can find anything helpful.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Perhaps one way to get a somewhat closer look at the problem is to get hands on one of the repair manuals for that year and type chassis and see if there is info on the repair. Also there are times/places where asking the local parts shops will turn up a person who really knows quite a lot about things. A call might be an easy way to get better info?
Great ideas! I will follow up with both of those suggestions.

Thanks kindly,
Jeff Cooper
Old 05-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlesJC View Post
Great ideas! I will follow up with both of those suggestions.

Thanks kindly,
Jeff Cooper
It is most likely the stepper motor behind the instrument cluster. I had to change the one for my fuel gauge. It can be a longtime trying to remove the cluster. Check out this site it can be very helpful. https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/
Bmccomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for responding! I sincerely appreciate it.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The project is sounding much more complicated than I have the skills to take on. I have Good Sam protection; so, I will most likely take my RV in for the garage that works on it for me.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Here is a step by step showing how to remove the cluster.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Winn...luster-Removal
Bmccomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Great resource! Thank you very much.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Speedometer

My Workhorse speedometer started acting up a few months ago. Wouldn't come up to speed, then come up to speed, then not go down when I slowed down or came to a stop. So, I used my GPS for my speedometer for a while.

However, after a few more trips, the speedometer started working properly again. Maybe you should just give it some time.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Waiting is a good idea! After all, we aren't going anywhere for some time yet. Thank you for the suggestion.

Tags
winnebago