Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Slide Problems

We had the front passenger slide on our less than two month old Winnebago Tour QD stick half way out or half way in depending on your perspective. Couldn't budge it.

Got winnebago tech support on the phone and they suggested we contact a local mobile service rep. We're parked in Golden Shore RV Resort in Long Beach, CA and fortunately know a great mobile tech rep, Bret Loudenback who owns South Mobile RV Repair. Bret shows up Wednesday morning and says we have a serious problem and he will need some help. Winnebago to their credit sends in Russ Hunt a roving field service rep to help and he was excellent. It took the two of them two and half hours yesterday morning to get the slide pushed back in and braced with three pieces of 2x4.

Winnebago is fast tracking the replacement pieces and parts to Mike Thompson RV in Fountain Valley which is about 20 miles south of here. We hopefully will be in a repair bay late next week.

Here's my concern. The guys pulled both motors and said they were OK but that they would be replaced anyhow. If it wasn't the motors that failed, what caused the problem? The coach was in a level site when the slide failed. I'm not an engineer (mediocre history major) but I'm concerned that the supporting components aren't adequate for the size and weight of the slide. This isn't the full wall slide. It's the one that holds the L shaped sectional sofa and kitchen area. It's still long and it is heavy. When it failed the slide was really torqued out of sync from front to rear and side to side. When I went to retract it we heard three or four really loud cracking noises. It came in half way and stopped.

Fortunately we're parked where we could get help and not to far from a sizable dealer with a staff that's familiar with this coach. What if this happens in the middle of west Texas?

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this problem or if anyone has any thoughts on what may have caused the problem. Any input will be appreciated .

jacksonjdnc
2014 Winnebago Tour QD
2014 Jeep GC Overland

PS: We aren't new to this game. Been RVing for 14 years and have owned several coaches both new and used. We just seem to be having an inordinate number of problems with this coach....the slide just happens to be the latest.
jacksonjdnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Personally, I think things are going pretty well with you and the guys doing your work; in a bad situation for sure. You have a good question and I bet you would get a good answer from them.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I had same problem on our 2013 QD. Our problem was the opening was cut out of square therefore left side motor could not stay engaged . I spoke to a Lippert rep at Winnebago and he explained
Huey428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hope your sides work different then these on the Palazzo by Thor
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...pging/1/page/1
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I had same problem on our 2013 QD. Our problem was the opening was cut out of square therefore left side motor could not stay engaged, made loud popping noise. Made the trip to Forest City IA. for repair but did not last long. We decided not to use that slide anymore until we were sure it could be repaired properly. We made our way to the Good Sam Rally in Atlanta GA where there was Winnebago reps, after begging rep to come to our MH and seeing and hearing problem he assured me we could get repaired at local Camping World, no such luck would have to wait 3 to 4 weeks for repair. So while at The Rally we went MH shopping especially the different slide mechanisms. What we saw was the type used on the QD was mainly used on the smaller MH's and travel trailers which have smaller and lighter slides. We decided our slide could never be 100% and Winnebago has very poor customer relations they are all about the #s. So while at The Rally we purchased a Entegra Anthem 44B have been very satisfied so far, have had a few minor problems all have been taken care of they usually just send me a replacement part.

We did make one more trip to Forest City for QD slide problem b4 taking delivery of Anthem. The tech at Winnebago said whole slide had to be removed and and all slide parts replaced with upgraded parts like higher torque motors, steel torque shaft and stronger gear rail. Seemed to be ok but did not use much.

Good Luck!
Huey428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi there Jacksonjdnc
Depending on build date of your coach, you may have the older mechanism that had a high failure rate. Winnebago did a lot of work with Lippert and in Early January they came up with a good version of the slide mechanism. We had 3 mechanism replaced and had the latest version installed in April and it is had not had a hiccup since then, the old mechanism we would get around 10 openings before it would fail.

The major failure on old style was that shoe that rides in the track would break on side, and then get separated from the mechanism and you would have metal on metal, shoe would twist and grind up against the rack and you were done.

The new mechanism secures the shoe differently and a couple of other improvements. I talked to Tom at Winnebago and they were so concerned that they took a motorhome and put in QC lab and was setup to open and close all day long, and by 1st week in January they had 3200 open and close cycles without failure on their large slide and felt that was much better then the old mechanism.

I am sure you will be getting the new mechanism so you will be much better.

Have fun

Paul
Old 06-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

For JacksonJDNC. Fortunately we're parked where we could get help and not to far from a sizable dealer with a staff that's familiar with this coach. What if this happens in the middle of west Texas?

I am sure glad you were able to get help with your slide problem. I dry camp in parts of west Texas and if you have a problem there....GOOD LUCK....NO cell service in many parts and the nearest towns are miles of desert away. This is one reason I have not traded up to a DP (or gasser) as they all have slides and if stuck out west of Terlingua,TX (or anywhere out there) "ya got a problem". My old no slide Bounder runs good and is dependable. I hate to say this, but if I were out there (it sure is quite) I would not extend the slides....I know this is bad, but "just in case".
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We are considering the 42QD as our next MH. Does anyone know when they started manufacturing with the upgraded parts for this?
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, winnebago