Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Had our windshield replaced this year due to a huge crack- no rust at all

This is after 3 1/2 years and 27,000 miles - motor home is stored outside all the time
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

The one thing nice about having the windshield replaced. You find out if you have a rusting problem and get it fixed before it becomes a real problem or the peace of mind knowing that you didn't have a problem!! Either way a win win!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Sadly, all too common of a problem on Winnebago/Itasca motorhomes, for about a 10+ model year run. I wish every owner that has spent more than $500 in repairs (mine was close to $3k) would join forces by putting together a letter to Winnebago and everyone signs it.

I know Winnebago claims to not have any knowledge about this issue, but reading all the threads here just in iRV2 makes that seem petty false. -RT
I totally agree that this an issue and that Winnebago should do something to rectify the problem. But I wouldn't hold my breath!
I have a 2007 adventurer 38j that has constant problems with the hydrolic system. After several letters to Winnebago and discovering that several other owners of the same model RV have had similar problems and offering to drive the RV to Iowa for repairs. I was basically told that it's not their problem since the RV is out of their ONE year warranty. I personally will never buy another Winnebago product.
sherf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #44
Winnebago Watcher

Question Winnebago Windshield Quick Temporary Fix

Winnebago Windshield temporary fix would be to use Gorilla Tape over the plastic insert and the top cap. I used two overlapping layers of this tape. In spring I'lll pull the unit into my Tool and Die shop where we make tooling for Press Brakes. There I can safely remove, access, and mitigate the metal damage. Possibly by fabricating new metal or weld support metal.
My suspicion is this will not stop the problem because previous inspection has shown the plastic insert is insufficient to stop the water penetration. thereby forcing me to reapply the tape. As for the wind driving the rain up under this plastic insert I am may be forced to carefully apply tape to the glass.
Should anyone try this I would like to hear about it.
We are the original owners of our 2002 Adventurer32V. I have had the factory replace one sidewall followed by the other side the following year. Our unit was out of warranty by a couple of years. The invoice was over 30K, our cost was Zero!
In the past I have had to pop rivet a couple of panels on my unit due to insufficient support. The basement air return ducting in the rear of the motorhome is an issue, The inside rear bedroom wall shows a slight sign of air penetration and I suspect the rear cap having a slight air leak while driving. Other areas are inappropriate and lack of sealing in the rear bedroom clothes cabinet. Spare tire storage space rescued by building and welding a tire carrier on back. Generator rebuilt after 834 hours of use, HWH replaced two solenoids, and the list will go on.
We have had a multitude of challenges with this unit, I wonder what will be next? Meanwhile the unit will be listed for sale and we shall take a brake from RVing until we purchase something a bit smaller for shorter trips say 10 days or less.
I do agree with one comment regarding the design failure of the seals around the front windows. My background is I am a Tool and Die Maker, Mold Maker, Tool and Die Designer, CNC programer, and manufacturer of press brake tooling. I feel my opinion regarding the seal failure is valid.
Gerheardtg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust, winnebago