Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #21
Site Team

Yes, and I found a video of EXACTLY my problem and the fix by this same tech in Arizona.

Here's that video. On the roof cap he dug out the original sealant and put on a heavy bead of new 311. I put Eternabond tape all across that seam. But where he dug out the caulking and injected it into the space on the roof radius that's exactly what I did.

I've only had leaking on the drivers side. So, that's the only place I've done that work. But next time the RV is here at home - assuming we can go out camping again sometime soon(!) - I plan to clean out the passenger side, too and reseal it.

I used the Manus, which this tech says isn't that good. But it is what WBGO uses. I have some 311 but only in white and on the sides of the roof radius you need black or clear.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Ah, not so. Winnebago does not use silicone on the roof edge as a sealant/adhesive. WBGO tech support gave me the names of the products they use. The current one in use is Nuflex 640 Thermoplastic, and the one before that was the Stone Mason Gutter and Siding Sealant. Neither are silicone products but are thermoplastic compounds instead. ProFlex RV sealant is not a silicone product either, as you mentioned.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #23
Site Team

Before starting my project to fix the leak I checked the Approved Sealant diagram and found the WBGO part number for that exact roof radius location. When the part number is entered into a search you get the Manus Bond -75AM Black product with the WBGO part number on the listing.

I think I like what the guy is using in the videos better - but I was flying blind at the time. Seeing the video was EXACTLY what I did, and what problem I had gave me a lot of confidence.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Yes, and I found a video of EXACTLY my problem and the fix by this same tech in Arizona.

Here's that video. On the roof cap he dug out the original sealant and put on a heavy bead of new 311. I put Eternabond tape all across that seam. But where he dug out the caulking and injected it into the space on the roof radius that's exactly what I did.

I've only had leaking on the drivers side. So, that's the only place I've done that work. But next time the RV is here at home - assuming we can go out camping again sometime soon(!) - I plan to clean out the passenger side, too and reseal it.

I used the Manus, which this tech says isn't that good. But it is what WBGO uses. I have some 311 but only in white and on the sides of the roof radius you need black or clear.

Creative,

WBGO uses Manus-bond 75AM on the front-roofcap-to-fiberglas-roof joint, but not for the roof radius edge seal. The current product they use for the radius edge is Nuflex 640 Thermoplastic, and before that, Stone Mason Gutter and Siding Sealant. Neither are silicone products. By the way Heng Nuflex 311 is a silicone sealant, which should be avoided when resealing your roof radius edge joint. Notice in the video he used ProFlex on the radius edge, which is not silicone. WBGO no longer uses Nuflex 311 on the roof. They currently use Nuflex 303, which is black on my coach but also comes in white and tan. BTW, my coach is a 2016 model and these sealants change periodically, which is frustrating since according to the warranty, the same sealants should be used when replacing old sealant. Go figure.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #25
Site Team

The sealant page for my Adventurer shows that sealant on the roof cap specifically.

Now, they may have changed things-but when I checked my model year that's what I saw.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/.../000209692.pdf
Old 03-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

As long as you do a good removal and cleaning, I don't see a problem in using what's specified on the newer rigs. I'm sure what was specified for my 2002 either isn't as good or readily available as what's specified for the same use today.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:18 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabdds View Post
Creative,

WBGO uses Manus-bond 75AM on the front-roofcap-to-fiberglas-roof joint, but not for the roof radius edge seal. The current product they use for the radius edge is Nuflex 640 Thermoplastic, and before that, Stone Mason Gutter and Siding Sealant. Neither are silicone products. By the way Heng Nuflex 311 is a silicone sealant, which should be avoided when resealing your roof radius edge joint. Notice in the video he used ProFlex on the radius edge, which is not silicone. WBGO no longer uses Nuflex 311 on the roof. They currently use Nuflex 303, which is black on my coach but also comes in white and tan. BTW, my coach is a 2016 model and these sealants change periodically, which is frustrating since according to the warranty, the same sealants should be used when replacing old sealant. Go figure.
Moabdds, that's a great follow up. Is this the latest specifications from Winnebago? I plan on using the Proflex in clear since my RV is out of warranty.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I just had a lesson on this today: I went up in the attic to install a junction box in order to re-route the light and fan switches from one wall to another in a bathroom we're remodeling. The project went well but I ended up pulling a muscle in my upper left leg from kneeling in such a cramped position on top of the ceiling joists. It only hurts when I sit down or get up, if I don't move, it's OK.

On the other hand, I didn't have to hire an electrician.

But my right rotator cuff, that I tore after falling the last five feet off my MH ladder last July (surgery in Aug), while cleaning the roof for a solar panel install, was fine the whole time. When I went to the ER then, after looking at my medical record, said that she wanted to just wrap me in bubble wrap.

I think she was right, I'm going to order a roll.
I got tired of the ladder real quick so I rented a proper scaffold. $65 out the door for 28 days. Money well spent.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Caulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
Moabdds, that's a great follow up. Is this the latest specifications from Winnebago? I plan on using the Proflex in clear since my RV is out of warranty.
That was what WBGO tech support told me on the phone a couple of days ago. Interestingly, I took my coach into our local WBGO dealer yesterday to have a slide-out looked at and asked the repair coordinator about the sealant issue. He complained that WBGO has changed what they use over the years, but in order to keep your roof warranty, you're supposed to use whatever was originally used on your coach.

Having said that, he said they use ProFlex RV for the roof edge sealer and have never had a problem with it. This was right after I'd ordered three tubes of the Stone Mason product from Lichtsin RV for twice the price per tube as ProFlex, plus shipping! Arrgh! The next time I have to redo that seam, I'm using ProFlex as well.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Yes I am watching AZ Expert channel as a subscriber because he covers a lot of Winnebago roof issues and he responds to my questions. He will tell you over and over check the roof each year and what not to use on the filon Winnebago roofs. Another thread on here stated that they are gel coat roof. AZ Expert says not rather filon. He has not used Henry Company 100% silicone roof coating or thier caulking products. He has no opinion. Others on this forum have. Say it’s great for extending the roof life.
TallTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:54 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

I recently finished the roof to side wall cove caulk job following AZ Experts video. One side did seem to be in better condition with less cracks in the caulk than the other side.

The better side had more caulk deeper into the channel making for a very tight overall bond and this was a bear to dig out. The caulk had been painted over to match the roof rail after the last job. While I wouldn't choose to do this it may have helped preserve the caulk to some degree? It was a very smooth and neat job.

I used the 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover (#38984) and it took 1-1/2 quarts to complete both sides. At $48 a quart with tax that's expensive, but I'd buy it again. A liberal use of this product really did help to remove some of the tough stuff. This product doesn't evaporate as fast as some other solvents (lacquer thinner) so it's well suited for the work.

If I could have paid for a competent outfit to do this I would have. The problem is in my area there are only two places that might consider doing the job and the one I prefer is booked up for weeks in advance. Since we are living full time in our RV it isn't practical to leave it anywhere right now anyway.

On the plus side I got to check the condition of my Filon roof cove first hand so that's a good thing.

I used the ProFlexRV and really like it. I believe that's what was in there before. If so it's some tough sticky stuff. When I applied it it flowed out to a smooth finish after I tooled it or used a finger. On the final pass I tried the soapy water finger and wound up going with mineral spirits. My advice is to use mineral spirits. I did use blue painters tape for a clean edge and removed it quickly before the caulk skims over.

I hope this routine maintenance job will last a few years.

Tags
front cap, repair, roof, winnebago