Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Gotthelf:
why does my coach go from 72 in the morning to 83 in the afternoon with the ac running continuously? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very weak insulation factor in the Winnie roof structure. Try feeling on the edge of the ceiling when the hot sun is shining on it..it will burn your hand as there is no insulation along the length of each side of the roof structure (where the thin fiberglass folds over the curved edge on the roof over the sidewalls)

I originally thought it was a air conditioner problem, but now realize it's a Winnebago roof issue...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Hi Rick! I've been shopping for an RV for quite some time now and think I've narrowed it down to a Journey/Meridian.

Here's a clip that really helps to sell Winnebago. After seeing the clip, it's almost like you got to run out and buy one! *lol*

The first part of the clip just shows footage of a Journey going down the road in several places. But if you wait until that part is through, the second part of the clip is where you'll see the excellent presentation where it can't help but to sell a person on a Winnebago. It's put out by Winnie so you actually and in reality, have to take it with a grain of salt but impressive none-the-less. I think it will also show the "drop on the roof test."

It's presented by Venture Out RV:

http://www.rvvideohosting.com/Winnebago/journey/

Let us know what you think.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:36 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

My new winnebago roof air conditioners weren't properly bolted (tightned) down and caused a big leaking problem. this was repaired at forest city and did such a good job, they installed the metal air intake plate on the wrong side, which I discovered on my way to Florida. They had blocked off the air intake and I ran for 2 hours before noticing. My air was really working hard not getting in air probably shorting it life. Now my warrenty is out and they didn't repair some problems because they blamed me or the dealer so I sure their maintaince could not possible reinstall the air intake wrong. BUY USED LET SOMEONE ELSE GET THE QUALITY CONTROL BUG OUT!
Old 02-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I am no expert on RV HVAC, but the A/C in ours managed to keep us cool (73-74 degrees) in Vegas last summer when the temperature was 110+. Granted the A/C ran quite a bit, but it was pleasant inside.

Maybe it is easier to cool a 35ft rig than a 40+ footer?

-----
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Couple of observations:

1. while I'd love to have a rig with full body paint, wonder if some of the darker colors on FBP rigs make them harder to cool? The AC system should still do the job but I do wonder.

2. In viewing the video posted, it does clearly show the relatively small amount of insulation in the roof or our rigs and the total lack (from what I can see) of any insulation in the radius where the roof meets the sidewall. I like my Winne and every rig has its shortcomings, but it would seem Winne could make the roof a bit thicker and add some insulation.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Bill,
I will put in my 2 cents. I also have a Wiinie Vectra 40ft. I live in Okla. where it can get 100 deg. pretty easy. I have never had any problems with my AC system. Can easily drop it to 65-70 deg. in 100+ temp. even when on 30 amp. service.
You might check ducts. I think there has been some problems with them being taped in ceretain area.

Mrbojangles
mrbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote