Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 05:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Exclamation 2016 Winnebago transfer switch recall

Just received notice from Good Sam that the government has issued a recall on certain 2015-2017 Winnebagos for an electrical connection to the automatic transfer switch (ATS) that may not be properly tightened. A loose power connection may cause a build up of heat at the connection, increasing the risk of a fire.

Details will be coming from Winnebago.

Here is the link: 2016 WINNEBAGO VISTA | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
oldjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

That caused my switch to fail on our first trip.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for bringing this to our attention . These recall notice threads are important.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

This just emphasizes the need to periodically take 1 day and shut down ALL electrical in our RV's and put a screwdriver or what ever is needed to EVERY electrical connection we possible can to ensure tightness, and look to ensure no overheating conditions exist in these electrical connections. I try to do it every 2 years right now based on the low mileage I have each year. Once we go full time I'm sure it'll be at least every year.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think I had this problem. The auto transfer switch, when on the generator, would occasionally trip off. Brought to the dealer and they said that some connection was loose in the auto tranfer switch box.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had this problem. Obvious arcing and burn marks from a loose connection. It would actually cause my transfer switch to periodically fail. Took to dealer under warranty and they said they could not find a problem. (After they had it for a month) I got it back and still had the same problem. I removed the transfer switch and went with the old fashioned plug. Now i have to plug directly into the generator instead of having the luxury of a working transfer switch. Ih well...i wonder if winnebago will help me now?
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Same prob with our 2015 transfer switch had to replace entire switch waiting for reimbursement from Winnebago!
Btswrkn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
Grand Design Solitude 373

Our 2013 Ellipse 42QD is currently "jumpered" to maintain shore power. Have a new Surge Guard 40350 RVC Auto Transfer SW on order. It failed in a rapid relay chatter mode, not completely shutting down shore power! Initially we tightened the connections, but started again within an hour or so. New unit should be here tomorrow. Gen Set disabled while in jumpered mode! Good idea to check all connections as mentioned above.
John
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Superpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

If you own allen wrenches and are comfortable working on your RV, you can remove the transfer switch cover and check the wire connections yourself and tighten them in 10 minutes if needed. Just one hand on the allen wrench when tightening do not over-tighten or you may break the transfer switch. Just make sure that you unplug your shore cable, turn off any inverters that are on, and that your generator is not running when you do it!

Even if your RV is not on recall for this it is still a good idea to check all the connections in the transfer switch box and in the electrical service box about 1 year after purchase and then every 1 or 2 years thereafter to make sure none of the connections are loosening.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I took my coach in for the recall last week. The hot and ground wires showed signs of overheating. The technician called Winnebago to obtain concurrence for cutting off the damaged portions of wires and reinstalling. I would take this recall seriously.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Transfer Switch issue(s)

Reading this thread was re-living my electrical system (power supply) nightmare!!!

Our barely used ‘16 Vista LX 30T had been having “issues” with shoreline power ... finally just died. Nothing ...

With the help of a former RV owner (not a Winne - but he was just so sick-n-tired of constant / nagging problems; he dumped it!) - and with GREAT trepidation - we cracked open the cover of the TRC 41300 (30A) automatic transfer switch.

WOW!!!! Heavy scorching of some infrastructure, a couple of wires on the shoreline input had SEVERELY damaged / degraded insulation, allowing them to contact & short out (something). Some of the “plastic” case holding the shoreline connectors had over-heated and were SEVERELY disintegrated and simply crumbled upon disassembly!!! I truly feel that I’m lucky the coach didn’t erupt into flames at some point ....

Cut to the chase: I called TRC tech support today to ask some particulars ... and got the strongest confirmation that, yes, ALL torque values for connections inside the box are PARAMOUNT - 25 inch/pounds on the power terminals; 35 inch/pounds on all ground wires going into the ground bus bar. This is per their drawing 550-00055 Rev. E ... supplied with my NEW TRANSFER SWITCH!!! If you’re attempting a D.I.Y., it’s not difficult for the reasonably handy. DO NOT GUESS ON THESE CRITICAL TORQUE VALUES!!! Torque adjustable screwdrivers are available at Cabela’s and on-line. I bought one routinely used by gunsmiths to keep from damaging delicate items such as rifle optics (telescopic sights), made by Wheeler Engineering. It’s their F.A.T. Wrench (Firearm Accurizing Torque) Wrench ... For my peace of mind that I got the proper tightness, worth every penny of the 45 bucks ....

However, looking at the horrible insulation damage - and the obvious source of failure - the one thing that struck me VERY oddly was that ONLY the stripped wires on the shoreline cable had been ... SOLDERED! All the other wires connected into the transfer switch were bare. The output to the coach itself was all solid wiring; the two inputs - shoreline & from the generator - were braided wires ... and ONLY the shoreline cable wires had been soldered (to create a pseudo-solid wire, I guess) ... AND *ONLY* THOSE TWO BLACK (HOT) and WHITE (NEUTRAL) WIRES HAD BEEN THE VISUAL POINT OF FAILURE!!!!

Away from the soldered ends of these two wires, too, there was also noticeable signs of corrosion / chemical attack (?) on the braided wires themselves.

TRC would only commit that they have no recommendations or suggestions that any wires coming into their 41300 need to be soldered ....

IT IS POSSIBLE - IMO - after talking to tech support at TRC (transfer switch manufacturer! ... that Winnebago took it upon themselves to solder these two heavy-gauge wires (3 conductor, #10 AWG) in the shoreline together to keep them from “mushing” when tightened.

My obvious questions:

1. Is that soldering really needed - or required? TRC tech support gave me a half-hearted, not fully committed ... no.

2. When Winnebago soldered these shoreline wires, did they over-heat the wires and cause future degradation the black / wires upstream? (Possible ... but that doesn’t explain the rather severe copper wire corrosion on mine.)

3. *OR* ..... did Winnebago use the wrong solder - with the wrong flux in the core? (Electrical solder is lead-free and contains “resin” flux to bind the connection; mechanical solder - “general purpose” type - has lead content and contains ... ACID flux to help clean the mating surfaces and make the solid connection ..... “Plumbing” solder is totally lead free and normally requires the flux to be brushed on - judisiously - as anywhere the flux flows, so will the solder - making a unsightly mess!!! F.Y.I., NEVER USE “GENERAL PURPOSE” (LEAD-BASED) SOLDER ON COPPER PLUMBING ... UNLESS YOU WANT TO SLOWLY POISON YOURSELF!!!!

On this transfer switch issue ... please feel free to draw your own conclusions.

i have ... and I’m going with “Door 3”. The signs are just too obvious (Smart-assed mechanical engineer .... )

I installed my new TRC 41300 this morning - securely (proper torque on the electrical / ground screws) - and with NO BRAIDED WIRES FROM THE SHORELINE SOLDERED TOGETHER!

So?

Well, I am back perfectly under shoreline power, waiting on the system to bring the coach batteries back “up to snuff”. The coach has been sitting for quite a few days and the micro “vampire” power drains are unavoidable; they dropped the coach DC power supply (house batteries) off a bit; generator weakly cranked but wouldn’t quite kick off.

Later tomorrow, if all functions as expected, you’ll hear the screams of joy from here at Lake Norman, North Carolina!!!!
CatManDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have pictures of my transfer switch “ordeal”; before & after - but don’t know hiw to post them. They are SHOCKING in contrast!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!! YAHOO!!!

For the first time since taking delivery 18 or so months ago, both shoreline plugged in and generator running ... transfer switch handed off the power away from the shoreline ... just as it’s supposed to.

Best regards to all from Lake Norman, North Carolina!

I NEVER received a recall notice or alert - from anyone - about this nightmare problem.

When I called the our dealer about “it” last Friday, they said they had a slot open to take a look at it ... the first week in June - could take up to a month to diagnose & fix ... if they could.

Independent RV repair service within 2 miles of me - very good work - said a new box would start at $350.00 - plus 125.00 / hour labor. Could get to me in late May ......

Neither would buy me dinner or kiss me first. But they were both quite eager to ***** me ..........
Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I’ll bet $1,000.00 if they “fix” it by cutting off the damaged wire and re-soldering the shoreline braided wires together - to make a “pseudo” solid wire? - you’ll end up with the same problem again ....
Old 02-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjoe View Post
Just received notice from Good Sam that the government has issued a recall on certain 2015-2017 Winnebagos for an electrical connection to the automatic transfer switch (ATS) that may not be properly tightened. A loose power connection may cause a build up of heat at the connection, increasing the risk of a fire.

Details will be coming from Winnebago.

Here is the link: 2016 WINNEBAGO VISTA | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
=====

Upon disassembly on my property, ALL connections were tightened ... the real problem is far more serious!
Old 02-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Pretty sure it’s MUCH MORE than just a “loose connection”.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomo View Post
I had this problem. Obvious arcing and burn marks from a loose connection. It would actually cause my transfer switch to periodically fail. Took to dealer under warranty and they said they could not find a problem. (After they had it for a month) I got it back and still had the same problem. I removed the transfer switch and went with the old fashioned plug. Now i have to plug directly into the generator instead of having the luxury of a working transfer switch. Ih well...i wonder if winnebago will help me now?
I feel Winnebago incorrectly installed many, MANY TRC 41300 (30A) Automatic Transfer Switches by soldering the bare ends of the shoreline cable - to create a faux ‘solid tip’? - by using the WRONG TYPE of solder.

The inside of my ATS case could be described almost exactly as yours; in addition, some sort of severe corrosion attacked the copper wiring itself and the incorrect solder (general purpose / acid flux core) instead of electrical grade (lead-free with a resin flux core) created a “dirty” contact point and caused the black wire (“hot”) to increase resistance ... which leads to heat build up ... and that high heat both attacked the wiring insulation closest to mounting on the switch case ... and destroyed the switch contact points themselves.

Not surprisingly, ALL of the other current-conducting wires NOT so soldered - generator power in and house connections out - showed no signs of any abnormality.

I did a D.I.Y. with a new ATS and will report back in a month or so ...

Winnebago’s installation, upper frame. Mine below. (Hope this pics comes thru!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADB18C64-506C-4208-9D1F-A661A9FC282A.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	169264  
Old 03-01-2018, 05:45 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomo View Post

I think this “loose connection” claim is a “false flag” ...
Old 03-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

My Sunstar had the same problem. Could see that the input wires were discolored and the Transfer Switch was chattering when it was plugged in to the shore power. Took it back to La Mesa RV where I bought it, but it was before the recall, so I had to pay a $50 deductible on the insurance in order to get the switch replaced.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Again, I’m positive this issue is 100% Winnebago’s (improper installation procedure). I’d love to get my money back on the new ATS but know they’d tell me to go pound sand since I did it myself rather that return to a dealer.

Since they screwed it up to begin with, why should I trust them / a dealer to replace / re-install it any differently?

But they DO oue you your $50.00 deductible. This part failed because of Winnebago Industries negligence. It clearly wasn’t a defective part.

Tags
winnebago, transfer switch, recall, switch