Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2002, 04:13 AM   #41
Winnebago Watcher

My wife and I are very close to purchaseing our first motorhome. We're looking at the 36W Sunflyer as our choice. I like the True Aire, the central systems controls and the W22 chassis. We have been renting Winnebago Braves for the last few years so we're not totally new to this form of travel. One of my major dislikes is the Rest Easy Sofa. It's next to impossible to find Twin Beds available in a motorhome anymore so we end up useing the living room sofa as a second bed. The Rest Easy is very uncomfortable to sleep on. You have to put sheets / blankets on it every night. It's very inconvenient. I would ask that Winnebago offer (as an option) the sofa sleeper (Hide-a-Bed) they used to offer on the Sunflyer. You would be able to leave it made up and it would be extremely convenient to open it up for sleeping at night. I recognize the Rest Easy is comfortable to sit on and convenient, but it is almost worthless as a bed. This one item is causeing us to look closely at Mountain Aire and other Neumar products. Winnebago has said we can special order the Hide-a-Bed, but no one has been able to pin down a price.

Jack Foste :confused

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 08:31 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doc:
Can an Itasca owner post here?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Certainly!

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Connecticut Woods
<a HREF="http://www.fmca.com/_borders/goosegg.JPG"</a>

FMCA 300790, Good Sam, PCA-CVR
Old 09-11-2002, 02:09 PM   #43
Winnebago Camper

02 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on W22 and 8.1

Love: 8.1 and Alliston combo,energy management center, basement air with heatpump/propane or electric heat, surround sound, 2 slide created roominess, excellent lighting thruout (except for Electrical center, on and on.

Dislike: hunting for proper water temp balance in shower., need light over energy management center, better struts on storemore compartments or two, instead of one, quieter AC/heat Despite all of that will live with it cuz I love it!
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 05:45 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordo:
Dislike: hunting for proper water temp balance in shower
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just repeat after me - it beats the heck out of living in a submarine with stainless steel shower stalls and no hot water at all!

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Connecticut Woods
Old 09-11-2002, 05:51 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghost:
Just repeat after me - it beats the heck out of living in a submarine with stainless steel shower stalls and no hot water at all!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee Ghost this morning I thought you had a picture of your new Diesel Pusher. Sleeps 65. Sleek design, Top speed 25 knots. Full Galley. GPS and some guided missles to boot.

Bob, Vicki and the Boyz, Two Cats, Two Dogs, One Bird and one over loaded Winnebago

Winnobego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 06:16 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Winnobego:
Gee Ghost this morning I thought you had a picture of your new Diesel Pusher. Sleeps 65. Sleek design, Top speed 25 knots. Full Galley. GPS and some guided missles to boot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw, nuclear reactor - lot more tourque and you don't need any silly headlights, either!

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Connecticut Woods
Old 09-21-2002, 04:14 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

I'm about to box this up and ship it...

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Connecticut Woods
Old 09-23-2002, 06:46 PM   #48
Winnebago Watcher

We had a 35U Adventurer(2000) before we got our 2001 Ultimate Advantage and we loved it!! Never a bit of trouble&we love our Advantage but have been having ALOT of trouble with our Quiet Diesel Generator. While going down the road, it will run for awhile and then cutoff which makes for a hot ride for everyone behind the drivers/passenger seats! We have contacted Cummins repair place close to us and finally have an appt to come in to get it "fixed" next week. (They lost our workorder and we had to go thru all the info with them again (it was originally reported in mid-July)) Also, our windshield wipers on the passenger side bumps onto the seal around the windshield making a loud bumping noise each time it hits...been adjusted at least 5 times and still does it. Also some battery problems...not sure if that is fixed either as we haven't been able to use it much lately. Just got it in Jan. 2002 so it is still under warranty on everything. Generator shows a code 14 when it cuts off. Hopefully parts they ordered will fix it. Our shower stall sprayer falls while traveling too, so I put it on the list to make sure it is in the floor of the shower to ride..but will have the dealer look at that since someone else mentioned they got theirs fixed. Other than that, we love it!! I like the spacious cabinets, nice countertops, big "John" area with a sink and a pump switch, light and fan! Shower area is bigger than the Adventurer and I love my bed w/o the slide. My husband LOVES his diesel the only reason that we really traded! Night everyone...we are getting closer each day to being on the road full-time!! Can't wait!

A&H & "The Peez"
Old 01-14-2003, 06:25 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Last call!

I admit, finding a new house on the spur of the moment after two months on the road, the ensuing holidays, and going back to college have caused me to neglect compliation of, and forwarding to Winnebago of your feedback.

Anyone one else that would like to participate certainly feel free to do so.

I will put this together and ship it off prior to January 20!

Your humble forum founder & all around great guy.

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Snow Covered Frozen Connecticut Woods
FMCA 300790.Good Sam.WIT.PCA-CVR
Old 01-15-2003, 04:07 AM   #50

Don't have our Journey DL 36GD yet, but I'll give you our perspective from shopping; what we saw as the pros / cons of the Journey vs competition. We only looked for 36'-38' 2-slide diesel pushers w/ Cat 330 or Cummins ISC class engines, w/ Allison 6 speed. Very difficult decision. In fact, I leaned toward the Monaco Diplomat / Endeavor or Tiffin' Phaeton. My wife leaned toward the Journey.

- I'd slightly prefer the Cummins over Cat for higher torque and, from what I've heard, more accessible and lower cost service.

- I like having all the Freightliner service locations. But you see lots of posts about Winnebago and Freightliner pointing at each other about who own's issues. Not good.

- We like the side-aisle floorplan of the 36GD. (Had it in our '99 Bounder 34V too.) Wondered why not available in Horizon line.

- We like the Winnebago steel cage construction around windows and under TV.

- We like the Rest-Easy couch function.

- During tests we were impressed by the True-Air's consistent airflow from front to back and how quiet it is. BUT, we have a very serious concern about non-redundancy. We travel w/ dogs and fear losing AC in hot weather when they're alone.

- From my research on various forums, I have to say that the Winnebago service reputation is below that of Tiffin, Newmar or Monaco.

- Journey interior fabrics (quality and design) were no where close to Monaco or Tiffin. But Newmar's were so hideous that we ruled them out.

- Fit and finish was not as good in Journeys we saw compared to other brands. More small defects visible on units on the lot.

- Drawer guides: We noticed that Winn. uses 2 different kinds even within the same coach. The straight pull out kind in galley. The lift and pull in back. We even saw some coaches where the guides were mixed in the same row of drawers. Weak. They should be the straight pull out kind throughout.

- My biggest concern about the coach we're getting is basement space. Doesn't compare to Monaco Diplomat / Endeavor, Tiffin's Phaeton or many others. It's only similar to what we had in our gas Bounder. I can think of lots of items I may want to carry some day that wouldn't have an obvious space (e.g. bicycles, spare tire, many things). Even 3 good size lounge chairs will be a squeeze. We'll see how it goes.

- In the longer models (39' Journey vs 38' others we looked at) I don't think the Winnebago made as good use of the space as the others did. Others did a better job of building out cabinetry (dressers) in the bedroom. The 39' Journey just has a little desk space without much extra storage.

- Some little things: Like the weatherband (had it on our Bounder). Like the air compressor. Don't like the block by the left leg (can't stretch out fully). What is that? 6'8" ceiling is better than 6'6". But, like the padded vinyl ceilings better than Winnebago's carpet. 235" tires are marginal. 255 would have been better. Tile at entry would have been nice (Phaeton had it).

Sorry... one more thing. I would really like to see some 36-38' pushers with mid-door entry in the future.

Thanks for listening.
RalphO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:40 AM   #51
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RalphO:Sorry... one more thing. I would really like to see some 36-38' pushers with mid-door entry in the future.

Thanks for listening.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree on mid door entry.

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Old 01-15-2003, 05:47 AM   #52
Winnebago Camper

2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V:

Love floor plan.
Love the color.

Hate terribly uncomfortable fabric seats in cab and swival chair.

Hate swival chair that only locks facing to the side instead of the front as indicated by Sunrise manual.

Hate dim headlights when set to upper beam.

Hate constantly leaking HWH cable connections in slides and jacks.

Hate cheap constantly breaking drawer rail brackets.

Hate furnace that cuts off gas (flame) every two minutes (off 1 minute 45 seconds, on two minutes). (Limit switch replaced, still does it).

Hate cheap General Electric (MONO) TV. Retails at $ 179.00 at Circuit City.

Hate steering wheel that won't tilt down enough.

Hate loose screws, black water smells coming from toilet when in route (supposedly fixed, we'll see). Grey water like smells coming from under sink. (They can't find the source, gave up). Hate bathroom door handle that is has broken screw seat. Hate handle that feel off bathroom fan. Hate handle that fell off TV antenna. Hate missing carpet padding near doghouse. Hate windshield noise on passenger side. Hate missing window drip covers under cab window (on back order for 6 weeks). Hate wallpaper border that is installed almost an inch lower on one side than other in dining room slide. Hate bathroom cheap toilet roll holder that is installed 3/4 inch lower on one side than the other (replaced by me).

Other than that. We are really enjoing the floor plan and color. (Ha).
grundy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 06:39 PM   #53
Winnebago Owner

I have a 99 Brave Diesel bought new in 99.

Great quality this is my third RV and can see the work that went into the design.

Ducted AC with a centralized control for heat and AC is way cool or hot depending on the vernacular! (love it)

Dislikes:
Would have liked a more modern front cap on the coach (it looks like circa 1977!) But in this case beauty is in the substance!

Coach needs more noise suppression and heat abatement from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment.

Upper 6 inches of driver and pass side windows do not need to be there and could be better used for storage compartments or instrumentation.

Tank level gauges need to be more reliable.

DRLs and fogs should be standard.

A batt box that accomodates a larger engine batt should be std.

Integration of warranty and service of the whole unit at the dealers would be a superb thing (one stop shopping/service).

Thanks "Ghost" for this opportunity.
I would love to volunteeeeeer my services to Winnebago as a product tester or a product dev consultant.

I am a Operations and Strategy
Consultant, when not having fun in my winniebrave.

RUSTIC is good.
Kudos to those who made Local, State & Federal Parks&Campgrounds possible and to those picking up the slack by Providing Private CAMPGROUNDS.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:15 PM   #54
Winnebago Owner

One extra improvement idea: My diesel tank takes for ever to fill as the foam keeps building up in the filler neck causing the auto-shutoff mechanism of the pump to activate. Happens at most pumps all brands specifically as the weather turns cold but is finicky even during summer. (better vent/feed back loop for the filler neck) or two sided filler one on each side of the coach.

RUSTIC is good.
Kudos to those who make Local, State & Federal Parks & Campgrounds possible and to those picking up the slack by Providing Private Campgrounds.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:01 AM   #55
Winnie-Wise

Most everything.... We bought or '03 Suncruiser 33V because of it's combination of features rather than one specific area that stood out. We like the systems like power monitor, one place, basement air, etc. We felt it was a good unit for the money. We liked the new for '03 molded rear cap rather than the flat back of the Sunrise.

I liked the Itasca interiors more than the Winnebago decor on this model and the various standard features, such as dual pane glass.

I like the availability of options - lots of options! Everyone has a different idea of what they want in a MH and options let you custom tailor it to what you want so that you're more apt to be happy with it.

I love the W20 chassis with the 5 speed Allison. In a 33' MH that really makes for a great performing chassis with plenty of carrying capacity.

I love the way it heats. The rear heater in the coach really puts out when driving. The motoraid hot water is also a benefit.

Custom Mods I made:

Installed a 2500 watt inverter/100 amp 3 stage charger combo with automatic transfer switch. I did this because the only thing WI offered was the 300 watt for the TV/VCR, which doesn't help if you want to run the microwave.

Installed a KVH L3 in-motion satellite dome. The WI available model is a cheap manual one and I wanted something simpler to use so as long as I was doing it I went to the extreme:-)

I installed a large 120VAC/12VDC freezer unit in the starboard basement compartment. I wouldn't expect WI to offer this as an option though.

I am installing 240 watts of solar panels for boondocking.

I installed a full width rubber mudflap in the back - like I've seen on Newmars.

Installed the Maxum 2000 central vacuum system. This could be an option from WI.

I installed a 12 volt power receptacle in the copilot's dash tray. It's called a slide-out computer station and is used for laptops so why not have a jack there? It's much neater than have cables strung to the side wall.

Dislikes:

Not much - but...

The 19.5" wheels are made by Alcoa and are available in aluminum. This would elliminate the valve stem extension hastles that are with the steel wheels with trim rings. I'd make this an option. Ideally, the 33V would be available in the W22 with 22.5" wheels like it's longer brothers. Although you don't necessarily need the extra cargo capacity on this short of a coach I would still have gone for it just because of the larger diameter wheels and the aluminum rims.

I think the ratio of gray to black water holding tank capacity is off. It takes a lot of "stuff" to fill a black water tank but the gray water tank fills quickly with dish washing, showers, etc. I'd like to see a 70-30 ratio rather than the 50-50 ratio.

The optional entertainment package could be beefed up. A nice flat screen TV, like newmar, ands a better stereo surround system would be nice. The standard one is fine if you're looking for a price point but if you want deluxe you are paying extra and only getting pseudo-deluxe.

The RV radio is a nice idea with weather band, big buttons, decent sound. The problem is you can't see the clock when you are driving because the LCD display is not bright enough. All of the cars on the road are now using LED or bright fluorescent displays which can easily be seen. This is my biggest gripe.

The hoop chair in the Suncruiser is useless for driving. I ripped mine out and replaced it with a Flexsteel chair just like they use in the sunrise. That way other family members can be belted in when driving rather than rocking around in an unbelted seat until you get seasick.

My dislikes are picky. I think the Suncruiser/Adventurer is an awesome mid-level coach. But, like anything, there is room for improvement.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2003 Suncruiser 33V
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 05:03 AM   #56
Winnebago Camper

After a 2 week stay in our new Itasca

Love floor plan on the 32td horizon
kitchen and bath really work great

Dislike the front passenger seat. The leg rest is un-usable and the seat itself tilts slightly forward so you feel like you are always sliding forward. Also do no like the drop where the stair cover is. My feet don't reach the floor and I have long legs.......

Pat
2002 Itasca Horizon 32'
1999 Jeep Cherokee
jphansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:23 AM   #57
Winnebago Camper

Whoops! Forgot a couple of dislikes:

Yes it is true the cab seats (fabric) have a very rough feel and you feel like you are sliding out of the seat on both the driver and passenger side and the drivers seat is too low. I am only 6 foot and do not have extra long legs but I had to shim up the driver's seat to raise it and shimmed up the front of the seat further to help with the sliding sensation. It seems the fabric tugs at your cloths. Even with these modifications, I still have to sit on a foam pad to keep my rear from killing me from the springs that dig in due to the lack of padding. Also, the lounge (recilining with a foot rest) is usless. It looks like a recliner when extended but the foot rest only strikes you under the top of your calf and it doesn't come up high enough to provide any measure of support. It is a Flexsteel and is a waste of space. Finally, the lounge chair is too close to the pull out card table (between lounge chair and swiveled passenger seat. You have no place to put your right arm when using the table for a drink or snack holder. You end up having to lower your right arm rest to a uncomfortable position so you can get your arm "under" the table.

Anyway, with all my complaining, I do actually like the hot water feature (heated by the engine while traveling and the coach heat provide by the floor vents thoughout(provided by the engine).
Old 01-16-2003, 10:47 AM   #58
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grundy7:
Whoops! Forgot a couple of dislikes:

Yes it is true the cab seats (fabric) have a very rough feel and you feel like you are sliding out of the seat on both the driver and passenger side and the drivers seat is too low. I am only 6 foot and do not have extra long legs but I had to shim up the driver's seat to raise it and shimmed up the front of the seat further to help with the sliding sensation. It seems the fabric tugs at your cloths. Even with these modifications, I still have to sit on a foam pad to keep my rear from killing me from the springs that dig in due to the lack of padding.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Out of curiosity, do you have the optional 6-way power driver seat? We opted for that and it works like a charm for us. I'm 6'1" 225.

The only problem we had with it was that the seat pedestal was mounted ****-eyed, so that when sitting perfectly straight in the chair, you were pointed more toward the radio than the front of the coach. Dealer fixed it under warranty.

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Old 01-19-2003, 06:02 AM   #59
Winnebago Watcher

Excellent topic, Ghost. The engineers and designers should take note. I especially appreciate the engineering and fit and finish that results from WI making most of the items that goes in our coaches.

I have consistently complained about their interior design, especially in the Ultimate brand. They are last in color and look. I'm not talking glitz either :-) and, I am on a crusade to have them re engineer the dash to lower the **** pit and provide height challenged folks, my wife, clearer site lines.

The latter is a deal breaker for me. If they don't change this soon, I will be buying an SOB> :-(

Steve Bloom
00 Advantage
Atlanta

04 MADP 4301
Steve Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:30 AM   #60
Winnebago Camper

Ghost,

In reply to your question, "Did I have the power seat option in our Itasca"? No, it came with standard Flexsteel fabric seats. Very uncomfortable. I am thinking of replacing them with something from Camper World. right now I am living with the shimming up of the seat front and sitting on a foam pad to keep my rear from going numb.