Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2002, 12:23 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

15,000+ miles no real problems, love the Ford V-10 F53 chassis, great ride and handling, get over 7 MPG towing Honda CRV at 65 MPH. The Winnebago component has been bulletproof--the best MH I've ever owned--Started 31 years ago with a new 1971 20' Winnebag Brave--wow! have things changed and improved !!!!
wazone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 04:25 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

I really like having a drivers side door.
I also like having that handy countertop extension that extends over the stepwell

I dislike the wind whistle from the driver's side door.
I also dislike when I whack my head on that handy countertop extension that extends over the stepwell

Capt Bill, At The Beach
Indian River, Delaware
32' Adventurer, Ford V10
19' Kencraft CC toad.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 05:51 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

The fixed that in the 2003s. Maybe it is time for a new one.

See You on the Road, Enjoy the Trip.

John, Sandy

Visit us
Old 09-03-2002, 11:02 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

We took delivery in June of our new 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 37G, Workhorse W22 Chassis.

We really like:

1. 8.1/Allison Combo - Very Strong! Plenty of power.
2. NCC of almost 4,000 lbs. (3921 lbs., to be exact). CCC of 2275 lbs., based on five passengers. (There's only two of us.)
3. Floorplan - We love the floorplan with the queen bed transverse across the MH, and the rear closet/wardrobe.
4. LR/DR Slide - Really opens up the living area
5. Corian countertop in kitchen
6. Large Bathroom and Large Shower
7. Large Bathroom closet and Linen closet
8. True Air
9. Central Heat
10. One Place Monitor Panel
11. Microwave/Convection Oven
12. Everpure Water Filtration System
13. Moen faucets, especially the pullout sprayer at the kitchen sink
14. Slide-out Pantry
15. Hinged Dashboard, although it needs some holddown clips
16. One Key convenience, although I plan to have them changed to a different key series
17. Fantastic Fan power ventilators, but they should have thermostats installed as standard equipment
18. Deluxe Flexsteel Ultra-Leather driver and passenger seats with six-way power adjust and lumbar adjustment. Oh, so comfortable!
19. Motoraid - heats the coach and the hot water as you drive.
20. Radio with both CD and cassette player.
21. Outside entertainment center
22. HWH Leveling Jacks - It just doesn't get any better!
23. One-Step Power Awning - Ditto!

None of the above were even available on our previous rig, a 1983 Winnebago Brave.

Dislikes

1. Carpet Tack Strips - The tacks on the carpet tack strips protrude through the edges of the carpet at the carpet/vinyl interfaces in the galley and in the bathroom. That's rough on bare feet. There must be a better way. I'll install some kind of protector over these edges. Those of us with diabetes don't need any foot injuries!
2. Toilet Room - The toilet room is awfully small and cramped. Definitely not a good "reading room"!
3. Rear Chest of Drawers with drawers operating fore and aft. - These drawers will not stay closed, and have fallen out of the tracks and to the floor and have broken two of the four drawers. They have been somewhat repaired by the dealer, but still needs more work. They need a catch or latch, something heavy duty like the compression latch on the drawers under the dinette.
4. Built-in Coffee Pot - Needs AC to operate. Our campsites are usually not near shore power, and if you start a generator at 6:00 or 7:00 AM in these parts, they'll throw rocks at you! (BG) We use a Melitta pour through pot and heat water on the stove, as we've always done.
5. Wind Whistle - I have a severe wind whistle at 60 mph and up, in the area around the upper driver's window and door. They've been working on it, but so far haven't cured it.
6. Fresh Water Tank Vent - We usually travel outbound with full fresh water tanks, as we are usually going from our home in Anchorage to someplace out in the boonies where there is no water available. I discovered the water was sloshing out through the tank overflow vent as we'd travel down the road. We'd arrive with half a tank. This would happen in as little as 25 miles. Our service center installed a loop in the vent tubing that mostly cured the problem. Still lose a little bit of water, but not too bad. I may install a shutoff valve and a vacuum breaker in the vent line.
7. Small Steering Wheel - My steering wheel is tiny - 15". The new 18" wheel was not an option on this MH.
8. Hoopbase Recliner Chair "Glidelock" - The hoopbase recliner chair has an anchor to tie it to the floor, but no means of securing the chair to keep it from rocking and swiveling while driving down the road. It bangs around against the window shade and the window valance. I stuff the throw pillows from the couch under it to hold it in place. My owner's manual shows a "glide lock" on this chair, but Winnebago says they've discontinued using it. They really need to come up with something.
9. Clock on the Radio - The clock is not lighted when the radio is off. And, when the radio, or a tape or CD is playing, you have to press a button to read the clock. I would prefer it to default to the clock reading.
10. Headlights - My Suncruiser has round headlights, instead of the rectangular ones as found on the Adventurer series. The passenger side headlights are crooked! They are rotated approximately 15-20 degrees and mis-aimed. The service center says the headlight buckets are installed crooked and there's nothing they can do. They are awaiting instructions from Winnebago.
11. Passenger Seatbelts - The extra passenger seatbelts are installed on the couch, so that passengers have to ride sideways, instead of facing fore or aft. These belts should be in the dinette, instead of the couch.
12. Shower Leaks - I've re-caulked several places where the shower enclosure was leaking, but the drip rail on the door should overlap the hinge. It stops just short of the hinge and dumps the water right through the gap at the bottom of the hinge. I've been looking for just the right piece to replace this drip rail, but so far , I haven't found it in Alaska.
13. Black Tank Odors - We've been getting black tank odors in the passenger compartment while driving down the road. We usually dump at the first dump station we can find after leaving a campsite, but sometimes it may be 40 or 50 miles. They're working on it.
14. Steering/Handling Issues - I've previously posted on this (iRV2.com Class A) forum about my concerns with the steering and handling of this coach. So far, unresolved.

Richard in Anchorage

[This message was edited by rwise on September 04, 2002 at 04:11 AM.

[This message was edited by rwise on September 04, 2002 at 04:13 AM.]

Richard Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 03:51 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rwise:
1. Carpet Tack Strips - The tacks on the carpet tack strips protrude through the edges of the carpet at the carpet/vinyl interfaces in the galley and in the bathroom. That's rough on bare feet. There must be a better way. I'll install some kind of protector over these edges. Those of us with diabetes don't need any foot injuries! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our dealer banged them all back down with a hammer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
8. Hoopbase Recliner Chair "Glidelock" - The hoopbase recliner chair has an anchor to tie it to the floor, but no means of securing the chair to keep it from rocking and swiveling while driving down the road. It bangs around against the window shade and the window valance. I stuff the throw pillows from the couch under it to hold it in place. My owner's manual shows a "glide lock" on this chair, but Winnebago says they've discontinued using it. They really need to come up with something.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXACTLY! I must have looked at the bottom of that chair for an hour trying to figure out where the glide lock was. It's not there that I can find. We use the pillow method as well.

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Connecticut Woods
<a HREF="http://www.fmca.com/_borders/goosegg.JPG"</a>

FMCA 300790, Good Sam, PCA-CVR
Old 09-04-2002, 04:20 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Location: \"North of the Tourists and South of the Yankees!\"
Ride, Handling,double slide with extra large Bedroom to get dressed in-- "6'4 with arms going everywhichway when putting on a shirt". Headroom, basement air(no dripping) drivers door after fueling , mid entry door so not taking the trash out over the carpeting . Well built with 18,000 miles and very few problems related to the manufacturer. Tows great, 7.5 to 8.5 mph. Plenty of power.

Dislikes, small mirrowrs (just ordered new Velvac Vmx heads to replace) . Pull handle,cable arrangement on grey and blackwater tanks , no reading light at dash, lack of exterior vent for stove (having one installed), lack of driving lights (going to get them installed)

Would I buy another one like it. YOU BET!!

Al and Faye Heyn

"Owl's Nest Phase II"
Orange Park, Fl
2000 35U Ford
2002 Jeep GC or 2000 Chev Trckr
FMCA 273789 WIT 101577 GS

My wife says I don't listen to her when she talks to me.... I think that is what she said.

"Owl's Nest Phase II"
Al & Faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 04:23 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Location: \"North of the Tourists and South of the Yankees!\"
This getting old is a real pain. Always forgetting something.

One more improvement that is really needed is that the front markerlights should flash with the directional signals. (I have seen a method to do this)

Al and Faye Heyn

"Owl's Nest Phase II"
Orange Park, Fl
2000 35U Ford
2002 Jeep GC or 2000 Chev Trckr
FMCA 273789 WIT 101577 GS

My wife says I don't listen to her when she talks to me.... I think that is what she said.

"Owl's Nest Phase II"
Al & Faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 04:37 AM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

* Floorplan/private bath
* Size of the holding tanks
* TrueAir
* Quiet generator
* Storage that comes out with the slide, though not having a pass-through storage area is a pain at times
* Turning radius
* Ride quality
* One panel system

Dislikes:

* Fan/power vent combo in bathroom is noisy and just plain annoying
* Interior lighting is marginal
* Headlights aren't very bright
* Would be nice if the floor nightlights used LED's for less power draw when boondocking
* I've had a lot of issues with the rig that I'm surprised weren't caught at the factory or by the selling dealer
* Flat floors for the slides
* Switch panel by door needs to be lighted, or somehow made easier to read at night. Trying to figure out which switch turns on the interior lights instead of operating the shin-banger, I mean step, is not fun.
* Tank guages (for all tanks including propane) seem out of whack.

-Jim K.

Jim 'n Rose
Dublin, OH
'02 Journey, a couple motocycles, a few cars, and a bunch of debt

Columbus, OH
Jim Kesterson/OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 05:06 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimKesterson/OH:

* Headlights aren't very bright<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The driver's side head lights had paint overspray on them. Once removed the lights were easily twice as bright. Not sure if this helps your situation or not, just a thought!

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Connecticut Woods

Old 09-04-2002, 08:03 AM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

Ghost, no overspray. Thanks for the idea though. However, there is moisture in the driver's side lamp. I can't imagine that it is hurting light output that much. But regardless I plan to replace it before heading west at the end of the month.

-Jim K.

Jim 'n Rose
Dublin, OH
'02 Journey, a couple motocycles, a few cars, and a bunch of debt

Columbus, OH
Jim Kesterson/OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:06 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Only other thing I can think of would be to drop by a service station with a head light alignment machine.

Honest, our lights are VERY bright - no complaints here.

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Connecticut Woods

Old 09-04-2002, 09:18 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

I solved the problem of wind whistle and wind noise from the drivers door of my 01 Suncrusier 35U. The whistle was coming for the black grill in front. The ends of the grill vibrate and cause a harmonic vibration. Dealer welded a small metal rod on the ends of the grill to stop the vibration. The wind noise from the drivers door was coming from a channel that runs veritical toward the front of the roll down window. I found it by putting duct tape over it. For a permanent fix I ran a bead of black caulking in the channel.

Like True Air

Dislike holding tank gauges,

Tom Williams
2001 Suncrusier
1991 Jeep Cherokee

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 10:23 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Tom Williams,

Thanks for the tips on the wind whistle. I'll try them.

And to correct a previous posting, my steering/handling concerns are described and discussed at

http://irv2.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?...2&m=6453075316

Richard in Anchorage

Richard in Anchorage

Richard Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 12:36 PM   #34
iRV2 Marketing

I absolutely loathe those little dinky buttons and the trick media light show and the invisible display on the Sony XPod Radio ... YUCK!

I apprecaite Winnebago's efforts to resolve this by the introduction of the large button radio with a display that you can actually use.

01 Winnebago/Workhorse Model 37G/W20 Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"
8 8
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 07:48 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

My coach is a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer, Model M34VP, on the Freightliner XC chassis, with the Cummins ISB 275hp TurboDiesel. Right away, you could say, "How can he have any dislikes / suggestions?" I'll try... I DO REALIZE THAT WI MAY HAVE CORRECTED / CHANGED ANY OR ALL OF THE ITEMS I LIST. IF SO, SORRY.

#1 Like: Smooth couch/dining booth slideout. It is truly a thing of engineering beauty.
Dislike: Absence of any lighting at driver and passenger positions. The little rocker lite in the middle of the undeside of the overhead cabinet is really a joke.
Suggestion: WI could easily mount a 12vdc swivel spotlight, similar to cockpit lamps found in small aircraft and helicopters. The red lens filter option is not required.

#2 Like: The big, wide windshield. It's like a bus and more fun because I get to drive it.
Dislike: The reflections that happen at night whenever I drive into any area that has lots of lights. The inside surface of the windshield panels and the various pieces of the side windows cause the reflection of the image of the outside lights from one side to the other and back again. It is like a hall of mirrors and can be very confusing.
Suggestion: I don't know how this problem can be corrected. I guess the "anti-glare" coating on my daughter's eyeglasses might be adapted to cut down on the reflectivity of the inner surfaces of all the glass in the cockpit area. I suspect it woould be expensive and owners would have to realize that they couldn't clean their windows except with warm soapy water and a soft cloth (diaper?). Perhaps the OEM companies who make the windshields and side lites for class A coaches could explore an alternative coating technique that would do the trick -- maybe a coating that could provide a polarizing effect?

#3 Like: The Coleman-Mach roof-mounted AC units. They seem almost bulletproof and cool the coach quickly and effectively.
Dislike: The thermostat for my coach does not have a timer option. I am a fulltimer and I think a timer, like commonly found in a house HVAC system, would be a great option. Unfortunately, according to Coleman-Mach and Suburban, there is no way to adapt a househould thermostat -- different witing and different voltage requirement.
Suggestion: Pretty obvious, huh? WI should "encourage" their HVAC OEM vendors to develop a thermostat with a timer. I would buy one in a heartbeat!

#4 Like: My Suburban SF-42 furnace. It is a very effectice heat source. Although I have had a few problems with it, ie, two motors, one control board, Suburban has stood behind it and provided parts and assistance with the repairs.
Dislike: Part A: The location of the above furnace. It is under the wall between the bedroom and the bathroom on the left side of the coach. In that location, it has to push heated air throught he plenum and ducting. The distance to the three heat outlets in the main coach compartment is far enough that there is actually very little heat output. I have to close and cover the back two outlets to get the heated air to the front area.
Part B: The location is such that the furnace does not have a sufficient flow of return cold air. The furnace requires a total flow cross section of 144 square inches -- one square foot. Although the wall grating on the wall in the hall is about that size, it is misleading. The only air flow that actually reaches the furnace is provided by two holes in the floor of the bathroom and one hole in the wall of the bedroom. These three holes total only about 80 square inches, barely half of the required airflow cross section size.
Suggestion: WI should avoid mounting the furnace at either end of the coach. A mid-point location and a carefully allocated return air flow would enhance the effectiveness of any furnace.

I request one "Freeby" -- to add to another post about the indash AM-FM radio in my coach. The original radio was a Panasonic MOdel OEU1100 (or some similar number). When I was inspecting the new coach with my dealer, neither of us could see the clock display. We tinkered with it and took the time to set the clock and all of the preset frquencies. We both agreed that the radio was probably defective because neither of us could see the display -- even if we held our hands over the front of the radio. We looked at two other new coaches and they had the same radio and the same problem with a nearly invisible display.

About a month later, when visiting a Freightliner dealer, I saw that they had a Panasonic radio display. I found my radio on the display. It was priced at $59.99 - retail. I was dumbfounded and a little (okay, a lot) irritated that Winnebago would put such a cheap POS radio in a coach that had a sticker pricer of a little over $120K.

I called WI and complained and they explained the radio options that HAD BEEN AVAILABLE WHEN THE COACH WAS ORDERED. I didn't order the coach and I couldn't understand why any dealer would order such a cheap POS radio.

I eventually made a deal with the OEM Panasonic source, Pan-Pacific, Fresno, CA, and bought an upgraded radio. I also bought their matching 10 disk CD player and installed the new items. The wiring harneses were compatible and I had no problems doing the installaion myself. The new radio has all the weather channels and a nice feature that will warn me if a NOAA emergenmcy is broadcast -- even if the radio is off. It takes a little time to get used to the radio going off all by itself, but it has already come in handy several times.

Suggestion: WI should look at the radios being provided in today's cars and lite trucks. They are light years ahead of the cheap Panasonic radio that came with my coach. A new coach, regardless of model or size, costs appreciably more than almost any car or lite truck and the basic WI radio should be a top of the line radio. The upgrade radio should have an amplifier and a set of Bose speakers. The top of the line radio would be the upgrade radio with the addition one of the new XM radio receivers added in. The nature of RV use makes the XM radio a perfect device for our coaches. I plan to acquire a portable receiver and use it in the coach and in my Tahoe.

All in all, I am very happy with my coach. I would buy another one in a heartbeat -- but I will opt to enjoy this one for a long time before I venture back into the market.

Thanks Ghost -- great idea for a post string. I hope you can get confirmation that WI is monitoring the site and taking notes.

MDCalvert
Oak Ridge,TN

1999 Adventurer, WKG34V-DP
MDCalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 05:40 PM   #36
Winnie-Wise

I like having a porceilan toilet bowl, and the separate sprayer.

I dislike those cheap $3 fixtures that the plating flakes off, for the bathroom faucet and shower drain.

Capt Bill, At The Beach
Indian River, Delaware
32' Adventurer, Ford V10
19' Kencraft CC toad.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 07:38 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

DISLIKE: Owner tech manuals for the HWH slide and leveler system. Need a section for quick reference on problems or FAQ. One that can be used quickly for the RVer that is traveling. Winnebago and HWH should cross reference to be sure they are both saying the same thing.
LIKE: Double glazed windows with very dark tint, great for privacy and heat/cold control. Also great sound barrier.

2001 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 06:03 AM   #38
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mdcalvert:
Thanks Ghost -- great idea for a post string. I hope you can get confirmation that WI is monitoring the site and taking notes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never really intended for this thread to be a source of real time input to Winnebago, but if it is so much the better!

At some point in time I'll sit down and capture the feedback posting in this string, then forward it on to Winnebago.

Thanks for the input!

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Connecticut Woods

Old 09-09-2002, 08:17 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

I think I can reasonably assure you they do moniter this forum. I have been contacted by their cust service people concerning some of my post, earlier in the forum's life.
This resulted in an amicable resolution to my problems and a amiable relationship with their customer service people. They really do seem to care about their customers. IMHO.

2001 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:32 AM   #40
doc
Winnebago Owner

Can an Itasca owner post here? Same coach different name. Have an 2000 Itasca Horizon LD which is the twin of the Journey. We love the Cat 300 engine and the six speed Allison. This thing climbs the mountains around North Carolina like a goat, even pulling a 2700 lb Tracker toad.

But.... the chassis air just quit for the forth time since we bought this coach new. Dealer representative says that there seems to be a parade of this model coming through his shop with the same problems, chassis air and leveling jacks.
The warranty has applied on each repair and so we have spent no cash, but it sure is a pain to take this coach on a 200 mile trip each time the A/C fails. (and the failure always seems to be at the worst times.
Other than that, we love the floor plan, the double slides and the huge amount of storage both i and under the coach. Well...the 'basement' air will wake you up sometimes when it starts.
Would recommend it if the chassis a/c problem is solved.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote