Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago/Itasca Slide Issues 2013/2014

We are currently at the factory in Iowa getting a new mechanism instlled for our full side slide. If you are having similar problems you need to come here for service. We tried four dealers.Camping Worlds without a fix.
judelesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear this especially on a new coach. I saw your other post where you said that 20 other new owners were having this issue as well. Thanks for alerting others that it is a factory fix.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by judelesemann View Post
We are currently at the factory in Iowa getting a new mechanism instlled for our full side slide. If you are having similar problems you need to come here for service. We tried four dealers.Camping Worlds without a fix.
Welcome!

You are folks with wisdom. I have all but given up on dealers (un)service centers. I have no idea what they do to earn the awards from Winnebago. They certainly do not get standing 'O's from me.

While you're there go up to the Hallmark store and listen to the stories the old guy has about the beginning years if Winnebago. And don't forget to go to the Grotto. It is a good way to enjoy one of your days.

Hope you are back on the road soon.

Rick
Old 09-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by judelesemann View Post
OK this is AWESOME; however, we have no idea what your problem really is. It would be nice if you told us the syptoms so we could all check to see if we are having the same issue.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2014 Journey 36M and the first time I let out the full wall slide to load up for our FIRST trip the bottom of the slide moved out about 3 inches and the top didn't move. It made a heck of a cracking noise and I let off the switch. When I tried to pull it back in it sounded like the cabinets were cracking up. I called Camping World and took the coach back the next day. They got with Winnebago and it took a week to get the parts and fix the slide. I don't know if they knew what caused the problem but they ordered new motors and complete slide tracks. If I wasn't 1200 miles from the factory I would have rather gone there, but so far it has been working fine.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Our 2014 adventurer 37f had a similar problem. During the PDI the tech went to close the coach for the evening and one of the full wall slides failed. Long story short, parts delivered and installed 4 business days later. Since then we have not had any major system issues, except for the air bed. The air bed wiggled loose off its shelf and snapped off both nipples to the hose. After a carful application of superglue we are back in business while we wait for the new air bed pump.
WineLuvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We just purchased a 2010 Itasca 35p a couple weeks ago. We had it out twice with shop time in between to make a few repairs needed during the purchase. Today, after our second weekend trip I tried to close the full wall slide. It didn't move. Tried all the things I could check like fuses and the things in the manual with no luck. So we ended up calling Good Sam for service. The service tech that came determined that it was electrical. No power to rear motor and very little to the front. So we had to do the manual crank-in procedure. We got to within a couple inches of closing and couldn't go any further. It looks like it is catching on the hinges to the wheel well covers and blocking the slide from closing all the way. There is signs on the bottom outside of the slide that shows wear from hitting. This may have caused the damage to the motors? I do now recall it catching when opening and closing but not having a slide this big, didn't know what it was.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post
We just purchased a 2010 Itasca 35p a couple weeks ago. We had it out twice with shop time in between to make a few repairs needed during the purchase. Today, after our second weekend trip I tried to close the full wall slide. It didn't move. Tried all the things I could check like fuses and the things in the manual with no luck. So we ended up calling Good Sam for service. The service tech that came determined that it was electrical. No power to rear motor and very little to the front. So we had to do the manual crank-in procedure. We got to within a couple inches of closing and couldn't go any further. It looks like it is catching on the hinges to the wheel well covers and blocking the slide from closing all the way. There is signs on the bottom outside of the slide that shows wear from hitting. This may have caused the damage to the motors? I do now recall it catching when opening and closing but not having a slide this big, didn't know what it was.
Not sure if the 35P used the same system as my 37F, which is two Power Gear electric driven rams and a center support, but here is a link to pictures of my FWS center support after it was repaired. Each "bolt" broke at different times and required two different trips for repairs. Neither has failed since they were welded. I was told that welding was the ONLY way to fix the problem because removing the broken bolts and replacing them with "better" bolts could only be done by removing the entire slideout from the coach.

repaired FWS center support bracket1 - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

In my case, the slideout dropped down enough to prevent the compartment doors from opening even when the slideout was retracted. One of these times, the slideout didn't retract fully at one end, as if it was out of adjustment but all these problems were corrected when the broken bolts were welded and adjusted.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

My older 2008 Winnebago had a slide lock problem. There was a field fix to fix the problem of the bolt in the lock mechanism hitting the revolving piston that unlocks the slide and it would jam the motor. This caused that side of the slide from coming in. On the long slide there are two electronically controlled locking mechanisms. If one jams only one side will seem to move. I would assume that by now Winnebago would have applied the fix to all newer locking mechanisms. But then again......???
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
My older 2008 Winnebago had a slide lock problem. There was a field fix to fix the problem of the bolt in the lock mechanism hitting the revolving piston that unlocks the slide and it would jam the motor. This caused that side of the slide from coming in. On the long slide there are two electronically controlled locking mechanisms. If one jams only one side will seem to move. I would assume that by now Winnebago would have applied the fix to all newer locking mechanisms. But then again......???
WAYNE: Apparently they did, as all three of my electric "revolving" locks have not failed, yet. The center support problem I had was under the center of the FWS, unrelated to the top mounted locks.
Ed
Old 09-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
It looks like my slide problem (would not retract) is with the slide lock jamming. I haven't found out for sure yet. Still at CW for repair. Now hesitant to use the slide locks. Do you need to use them?
Old 08-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Everyone, New to this forum. Live in Northern Alberta, Canada.
Bought a used but immaculate 2013 Adventurer, 37.5 foot motorhome.
Used the slide and worked fine first few time then heated a snapping sound
That was cause by the drive mechanism skipping a few cogs. Noe the slide will not close all the way at the bottom. Any suggestion how to re align without having to go back to manufacturer. I have many tools so can fix with a little guidance.
Best Regards
Joe
Email: [email protected]
Joepeas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, slide, itasca