Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Entry Door auto air lock behavior

Hello Winnie Owners

I have a quick question regarding the auto air door lock that engages on the entry doors of a Winnebago - we just picked up a 2011 Tour and the lock is behaving really strangely (in my opinion, at least)

When we start up the MH from park and start to move, you can hear the air lock engage. It used to be a pretty loud pop but I found another thread on there about how to adjust it. The thread is here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/2014...ml#post2191093

The remaining problem is that anytime we temporarily stop, like at a red light or a stop sign, the lock disengages to a loud pop. Then we start moving again, the lock reengages. All of this happens automatically.

So if you can imagine, in stop-and-go traffic, or driving around a campground or a place with a lot of turns and stop signs, this constant popping gets extremely annoying.

My question is - is the lock behaving correctly? It seems to me that the lock should engage once, and then disengage only when the parking brake is on, or I put it in neutral, or manually disengage it. I've seen where Newmars do this.

However, I could be wrong. Can anyone explain to me if this is normal or not?

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide!

clink
clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

This is exactly how it works. It disengages the lock when you stop so if you need to let someone out at a stop you can open the door. I have the opposite problem I have a air leak when the lock is suppose to be engaged which quiets when we stop. I need to run out the generator and find where the air leak is coming from. No loud clunking sounds on my 2014 42QD.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Ron - thanks so much for the reply.

So on your tour, when you come to a temporary stop at an intersection and the lock disengages, do you hear any sound at all when its working properly? (I know you said you have the issue now but perhaps before that started)

Mine pops...like a loud clap or a small firecracker...not deafening but certainly attention getting.
clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Tour Air Lock

We have a 2011 Winnebago (new to us) and when I had new carpet installed prior to delivery they cut the line going to the air lock. Unknown to us I took it in for service for the air hissing noise when starting to move coach and they "just bent the line over underneath the coach and put a zip tie on it". After calling Winnebago and learning about the air lock I found the line and replaced it. Works okay now (I think) but do not hear any noise when locking or unlocking.
jbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clink View Post
...So on your tour, when you come to a temporary stop at an intersection and the lock disengages, do you hear any sound at all when its working properly? (I know you said you have the issue now but perhaps before that started)

Mine pops...like a loud clap or a small firecracker...not deafening but certainly attention getting.
Our previous 2012 Tour and current 2014 Ellipse, both 42QD, both make the pop noise when slowing to a stop. Consider it to be normal after all this years and a whole lot of miles traveled.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by clink View Post
Hello Winnie Owners

I have a quick question regarding the auto air door lock that engages on the entry doors of a Winnebago - we just picked up a 2011 Tour and the lock is behaving really strangely (in my opinion, at least)

When we start up the MH from park and start to move, you can hear the air lock engage. It used to be a pretty loud pop but I found another thread on there about how to adjust it. The thread is here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/2014...ml#post2191093

The remaining problem is that anytime we temporarily stop, like at a red light or a stop sign, the lock disengages to a loud pop. Then we start moving again, the lock reengages. All of this happens automatically.

So if you can imagine, in stop-and-go traffic, or driving around a campground or a place with a lot of turns and stop signs, this constant popping gets extremely annoying.

My question is - is the lock behaving correctly? It seems to me that the lock should engage once, and then disengage only when the parking brake is on, or I put it in neutral, or manually disengage it. I've seen where Newmars do this.

However, I could be wrong. Can anyone explain to me if this is normal or not?

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide!

clink

Hi Clink
It's not an auto air door lock. It's an air assisted wedge system that pulls in on the upper portion of the door to minimize the air noise while traveling.

(My question is - is the lock behaving correctly? It seems to me that the lock should engage once, and then disengage only when the parking brake is on, or I put it in neutral, or manually disengage it.)

Clink to answer you question:
If it worked like that and you stopped to let someone out or to shut the door better without putting it in park or in neutral it would break the neoprene wedge when the door closed. ($50.00+ part cost)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462721286.222585.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	126455

I failed to mention that also the distance between the roller and the wedge with the door closed should be at a minimum. Closer is better as the less it travels when activated the quieter the noise. My clearance is at 1/8". When adjusted properly the klick noise is there but barely noticed.
Jesse

Note: You cannot see the air assisted mechanism once the door is 2/3 closed. A ball of Play-doh or silly puddy on and above the roller then slowly close the door. When the door is opened you will see the current clearance.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
JWmAustin

Jesse
There is also a rubber bumper at the bottom. This seems set up to cause the door to "ride" on it when it's closed and take the strain off the hinges. Do you know if that's correct?

I've not notice anything with the air or vacuum assist but we do now have a wind noise since the factory tech filed off the rubber bumper.
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, winnebago