Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Entry Door

We've got a 2008 Vectra and are very pleased with coach and Winnebago support. The one major complaint we have is the cheap entry door mechanism that restricts the travel when opened. Ours has been a continuing problem with no solution offered by Winnebago. If anyone else has had this problem and has a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
We've got a 2008 Vectra and are very pleased with coach and Winnebago support. The one major complaint we have is the cheap entry door mechanism that restricts the travel when opened. Ours has been a continuing problem with no solution offered by Winnebago. If anyone else has had this problem and has a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.
Can you say more about what you mean by "restricts the travel when opened?" Not sure I'm following you on what the problem is.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Can you say more about what you mean by "restricts the travel when opened?" Not sure I'm following you on what the problem is.

Rick
Rick, on top of the door is an arm that extends when the door is opened. Ours is worthless -- will not hold the door open?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks John. My door doesn't have such a mech so I guess that's why I had a hard time picturing it. I suppose they restrict travel on my door via the hinge mechanism.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I believe your door mechanism is an "upgrade" from what was used prior to 2008. Doors prior to your "upgrade" emit a loud popping sound when opening or closing. Many customer complaints later and Winnie engineers came up with their new and upgraded door mechanism which is the one you are experiencing trouble with. They seem to have a lot of trouble making their doors right. Good Luck with finding a solution. Wish I could help more.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I ended up making my own bracket to hold the door on my old coach (2003 Journey DL). The mechanism on my new Tiffin is really "built for the job", and I think that it would fit on my old Winnie without any major modifications.

Like most things TMH does, it's pretty generic. Try to picture a really heavy duty version of the brackets that they used on the old card tables.

If I still had my Journey, I would definitely be looking at this solution.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have the earlier "check limit strap" ...have replaced it once, and beat it back into shape once.

I don't believe there is any intent at all that the strap will hold the door open, like the device on most gassers. The function is to prevent the door from being damaged by opening too far, which on mine would be much over 90 degrees. There is no wall up front for the door to fold flat against, and since it is sticking out the wind WILL catch it.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies - I'm going to explore a gas strut when we get to our winter nest.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Thanks for the replies - I'm going to explore a gas strut when we get to our winter nest.
Don't rule out what TMH is using. I think that it would be much easier to install than a gas strut and disappears between the top of the door and the jamb when the door is closed.

Good luck.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Hey ChiefJohn, I am also an AF retiree, albeit Civil Service in Billeting/Housing Management, mostly at Travis AFB. Anyway, I have not found anyway to keep the door open in winds except with a bungee cord wrapped around the mirror arm. There are a few posts on solving the problem of the door swinging open too far, such as nylon straps and 3'T's door stop which I have. So the door stop keeps the door from hyper-extending during winds from the rear and the bungee keeps it open in winds from the front. Just FYI.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

On my 2010 model, there is an arm at the top of the door, that extends out until the door is about 90 degrees open. Then if you push it, just a little harder, the door will open about 1 more inch, but you can feel the friction as you push it that final inch. That friction seems to hold the door, even in pretty stiff winds. When you go to close the door, you need to pull pretty hard, to overcome that friction.

A friend of mine, has a similar 2010 model, and when we were parked side by side last winter, he happened to notice my door staying open in the wind. He showed me his door, and there was no friction point that would hold the door.

After checking with our dealer, it was determined that the bar assembly at the top of his door was defective, and they ordered a new one from Winnebago. Once it was installed, the door hold-open mechanism worked as it should.

Tags
door, winnebago