Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #1

I have heard from a couple of different sources that Winnebago might discontinue basement air from their Class A lineup due to inadequate cooling on units 35' and larger. The plan would be to go back to roof airs.

Is this true?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #2

I have heard from a couple of different sources that Winnebago might discontinue basement air from their Class A lineup due to inadequate cooling on units 35' and larger. The plan would be to go back to roof airs.

Is this true?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Never had a cooling problem with our Adventurer 35U and basement air.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sure hope not ...we love the basement air/heat pump on our 40' ...certainly nothing inadequate about it's cooling ability where we've been in the desert SW during the summer!! Only complaint we have is that it reqires total removal to service, and after two blower motor replacements, we are 50/50 for service locations being able to properly diagnosing bad motors!!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We certainly appreciate the Basement Air in our 39' Chieftain. It is very adequate and we would opt for Basement Air in a new coach.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I hope they keep it -- that is one big reason we are looking at a new Tour. Our basement AC kept us very comfortable in 110 degree heat on 30 amps -- while our friends cooked since they could only run 1 roof air.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

I hope that's not correct. WE spend summers in southern UT with temps over 100*. we've been very happy withthe performance of our basement air/heat pump.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I love basement AC.

I had one of the first in my 1994 Vectra and it was still going strong after 10 years.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

When I was at the Tampa show I heard the same thing directly from a Winny source. The person said that it was a "consideration" only. I agree with others here.....I love my basement air and it is one of the reasons I stayed with Winny.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We love our basement air. We have yet to try it in 100 plus heat so no idea how good it cools. Our last RV had 2 roof mounts and they didn't work all that well in 100 plus heat. The basement air has cppl at least as good and it is so much quieter.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Thye main problem is getting some one to work on them. We called the recommended dealer here in FL and were told to drop the coach off and maybe they could look at it in 5 to 7 days. Our air is fine but the fan won't come on for the heat pump. When the thermostat went out last year and we thought it was the unit, we could get no one to work on it but a tech told us to try changing out the therm because it didn't click and my husband fixed it himself. Much as I like it if we ever get another unit, it won't have basement air.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

To me it is one of the main reasons to buy a Winnebago product. Basement air has kept us comfortable in the desert at 110.degrees and the eletric heat is great too.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

This is the first time I have heard anything about Winnebago discontinueing the basement air option. Infact they just recently started the availability of basement air in the Sunrise lineup. There are pros and cons to either basement air or roof top air, and it comes down to what your priorities and preferences are. I have read of test comparisons of the two types and the last comparison I read stated that if both systems are charged and operating properly that the basement air is quieter, but the roof air is more efficient and will actually draw the temperature down more quickly and to a lower temp overall. Every big high dollar motorhome I have seen has roof top air, but I admit I haven't seen them all! I like the looks of a basement air rv and the quietness of operation, but I like the additional basement storage the roof top air makes possible, especially in a small rv like ours. If basement air would have been available when we ordered ours we would have thought very seriously about it, but I can't say I would have ordered it especially since almost all of our basement storage space is being used. I'd really be surprised if Winnebago actually eliminated such a popular option!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Beabop,
I don't quite understand you statement, basement a/c is nothing more than a central house unit in plain English. My local a/c man has maintained my unit (3 years formuchless than RV dealers have indicated they would charged.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Where will I put my all solar panels on my new winnebago if they change to roof a/c's.

Please don't do it!

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

We went down to LazyDays in the heat of the summer last year when the murcury was hovering around 100 degrees and did our own test on the new coaches in the lot. We checked out 38 to 40 foot coaches with basement and roof air from a variety of manufacturers and the bottom line was not even the half million dollar coaches with roof air systems cooled down as fast from a dead start as the basement air systems. All the roof air systems were much noisier from a dead start too. To make it fair we had people with us who were roof air supporters and now they are pro basement air also.

The NationalRv rep at that time mentioned that they were eliminating their version of basement air because their market research people felt the Joe Average did not have enough savvy to tell the difference. We all know where NationalRv is today.

I hope Winnie keeps the basement air on their coaches and pushes for more powerfull units on the larger coaches instead. Otherwise we will be looking at top heavy coaches with 3, 4 or maybe 5 rooftop units with all that condensate dripping down the sides and wallowing like a drunken sailer down the road.

Oh my. ;>
Old 02-16-2008, 04:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I agree with everyone, basement air is a BIG selling feature for Winnie's. If they lose that, they likely lose me as a customer. Three things stand out for me for Winnie and the reasons why I bought one and would repeat:

1) Name - longevity
2) Floorplans - love the TD models
3) Basement air

Everything else I can get elsewhere. If they lose #3, I am seriously considering Newmar and possibly Allegro.

Kyle

Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">basement a/c is nothing more than a central house unit in plain English. My local a/c man has maintained my unit (3 years formuchless than RV dealers have indicated they would charged </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The units are sealed and don't require/allow check or adding coolant. And according to the mfg, they require no seasonal lubrication. I'm curious what your local a/c man has done to "maintain" your unit?

Getting it out and back in the coach is where the big labor charge comes in. Other than repairs (in which case it has to come out of the coach regardless of who the repair guy is), what would I pay someone to do? Clean the dust/dirt out maybe??
Old 02-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
I have heard from a couple of different sources that Winnebago might discontinue basement air from their Class A lineup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>38+ foot Adventurer with slideouts cools very nicely with the Mach One. In the cooler mornings the heat pump makes all the difference in the world.

No complaints!

When I go to the Florida WIT Rally in Orlando there will be factory service guys there and I'll ask them.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Sorry Paul,
Call me anal, but I did add sight glass/freon fill capacities (added 1/2 lb.start of this year) just based on years of south Texas experience and A/C's. Your right, it is a sealed unit as delivered, but I am not a believer in life time lubrication nor freon staying where it is supposed too, so Ronnie also lube shafts and changed out my bad relay.

Besides taking care of my rental properties, Ronnie's also an RV'er. So it works out well, and I'm comfortable and I don't have to wait 4-5 weeks to get in.

Best,

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote