Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

08 Itasca 30B, new, problems caused by factory:

Sun visor fell on driver (screws only went into thin veneer - assembler didn't care)
Rear outlet pulled out (nifty screw clip wouldn't grab on paneling due to support in the way - assembler didn't care)
Gen door flapping in the breeze, support screw missed - assembler didn't care)I fixed this and added a second support to cure a very poor 'design.'
Slide: bolt or bracket (rear) gouged vinyl floor. Caused by bracket for child restraint.
Slide: lower corners do not seal when in (front) or out.
Decals: lower decals are peeling
Bathroom door sticks closed (latch binds)
Outer spray head: disintegrated, (overtightened or cheap China part - take your pick)
Headlights mis-aimed - one low

Other problems with tires, chassis, and appliances were not caused by the big W.

Still, the build quality is better than my previous ('99) Fleetwood Flair bought also bought new. I'll never by a new RV again. It's like a kit you have to reassembly properly.
Invent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

We are on our second Winnie diesel and have had great success with both. Excellent construction and solid coaches. Our only issues have been minor items with the microwave (it quit -- replaced) and a door adjustment.

Compared to a friend's problems with a much more expensive coach, ours has been a dream.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Mine's OK! Just did a 2400 mile trip--I think I still have all the pieces and parts. Love my Goodyear G-670's and Koni Shocks. Happy Travels
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've read the pantry will fall off the slides, the closet and dresser drawer slides break very easily, and recently there were several posting about the outside storage compartments are coming loose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take some of the things you read about things falling apart with a grain of salt. All to often someone does something stupid, breaks something, then blames someone else for their problems.

To my point there was a post a while ago about overhead cabinets pulling off the wall. There were several responses, including one gentleman who asked several times what had been stored in the cabinets. After numerous posts and accusations the OP finally admitted he had filled the upper cabinets with cases of soft drinks.

While common sense should dictate that half a dozen cases of drinks was overloading the cabinets he still insisted that they should be able to handle anything he chose to put in them.

More often than not these stories are like listening to Paul Harvey. At 4:30 in the afternoon we get "The Rest Of The Story".

For the record we've put almost 65,000 miles on our coach without having anything fall apart. 110 of those miles were on the Top of the World Highway going from Canada to Alaska. We went shortly after a rain storm and it was the most God Awful 110 miles of road on the earth. At times 5 mph was too fast for the condition of the road. As bad as it was and with as many miles as we've traveled everything still works fine.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Very well said

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I enjoy our 2004 Journey 36G and have no intention of trading. I am just getting use to it after 1.6 years. I don't have a comparision bases becasue this is our first MH. And we bought it becasue of Winebaggo's strong reputation. And this week we'll be rolling north to explore the finger lakes in NY. We can hardly wait! Nevertheless, it galls me to no end that the glue bonding the front hood door hinges is breaking loose. I have a temp fix for our trip and I'll tie a rope to it to keep it from bouncing down the highway in case my temp repair fails. And when we return I'll fix it just like i fixed the rear bumper when it broke loose and the front cap side when it broke loose. In my opinion WInnebago should own up to their poor workmanship/design and provide warranty repair for these failures. Instead I'll be shelling out time, energy and money to correct something that should only fail in a wreck.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote