Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2022, 07:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago brave 1995 diesel difficult starting

Hello all, I'm after some help I have a winnebago brave motorhome diesel automatic 1995 and it is difficult to start. It takes a very long time to start. Once it does start it seems to run fine. The check engine light is on and when I check I get the codes 17, 18, and 35. I've been informed it doesn't have a camshaft sensor and the fault may be with the crankshaft sensor. Has anyone had this problem and can you tell me where the sensor is. Does anyone have any manuals or diagram that I could get access to. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1995diesel.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	184743  
Tinymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Have you tried asking Miss Google? She knows a lot more than I.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Tried everything.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:03 AM   #4
Site Team

I think the best answer for a 27 year old RV is to find a capable diesel shop/mechanic. It could be many things - even weak chassis batteries that can't properly energize the glow plugs.

Chassis issues are not a Winnebago issue, but are specific to the chassis you have under your Winnebago house.

According to the image of the manufacturers placard you posted you have WCF23RC. This model was available with a Chevy V8 Gas engine and optionally with a 6.5L Chevy Diesel engine. So, pretty much what you need is a Chevy diesel tech that can work on engines that old.

I did a Google search for "hard starting 1995 Chevy diesel 6.5L engine" and there were LOTs of responses. Have you tried that? You'll also find a lot of service manuals available for this engine in print and CDROM format online.

Looking for Winnebago specific help will probably lead you nowhere. It's a Chevy Diesel engine - that's all you need to know when looking for help.

PS. Here's a link to a 1995 Winnebago brochure on your RV:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Imag...-Brave-bro.pdf
Old 12-05-2022, 11:17 AM   #5
Site Team

I think it's important to note that you are located in the United Kingdom. As a US based forum, we don't know much about service technicians in the UK.

I am an admin - I went into your records and added your year and model info into your Profile, I added your location as the United Kingdom and I took that opportunity to rotate the image you posted so that it was no longer upside down.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Can you please confirm how many batteries this vehicle should have to start the engine. Is it 1 or 2 and what are the rating on the battery required to be? Just asking as our motorhomes have one and I think this needs two. There are three battery under the step on this one and only one is connected for the engine and another for the leisure side. The third one is not connected.. this did make me wonder why it has three batteries . I imagine now there should be two batteries connected for the engine this is why its struggling to start. What's your thoughts?
Old 12-05-2022, 01:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinymartin View Post
Can you please confirm how many batteries this vehicle should have to start the engine. Is it 1 or 2 and what are the rating on the battery required to be? Just asking as our motorhomes have one and I think this needs two. There are three battery under the step on this one and only one is connected for the engine and another for the leisure side. The third one is not connected.. this did make me wonder why it has three batteries . I imagine now there should be two batteries connected for the engine this is why its struggling to start. What's your thoughts?
The Chassis Wiring Installation diagram for your coach shows 1 chassis battery and 2 coach batteries (12V ea, wired in parallel). You may also find the Automotive Wiring Diagram helpful.

The previously linked brochure for your coach indicates a 630-CCA starter battery. It also indicates that you have 2 Deep Cycle RV coach batteries.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I wish I was an electrician so I can understand what you just sent. �� if it's not the battery then I would go off the fault codes that I found and replace the crankshaft sensor, and possibly look at the fuel system.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:36 PM   #9
Site Team

I'd suggest you do a lot more research before buying parts willy-nilly.

Quote:
The previously linked brochure for your coach indicates a 630-CCA starter battery. It also indicates that you have 2 Deep Cycle RV coach batteries.
Any good battery store would be able to direct you to the correct batteries shown above and their installation.

No electrician is needed to change batteries - but if you are not positive that you can do that job correctly then you need to see a service technician... again.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry for your troubles Tinymartin, but if I had a 6.5 GM diesel that old that would crank over and wouldn't start, but was fine when it did start ? .. The first thing I'd check would be the glow plugs/glow plug controller system, just because the glow plug delay/wait light on the dash comes on and goes off doesn't mean that that system is actually functioning as it should. I had a 6.2 which is very nearly the same motor, that had pretty much the same issue, the glow plug system was the problem ! .. Good Luck ! ..
HairBear184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone have picture of the optical sensor, its location and how to test it?
Old 12-06-2022, 04:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinymartin View Post
I wish I was an electrician so I can understand what you just sent. �� if it's not the battery then I would go off the fault codes that I found and replace the crankshaft sensor, and possibly look at the fuel system.

Chris is correct, follow his advice.The present battery configuration is not original. Once you have the correct starting battery configuration I suspect your starting issue will disappear.

BTW, when was the last time you removed and cleaned all battery connections-both ends of each cable?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, diesel, brave