Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2015, 01:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago & TriMark Safety Recall #15V-510

I received a letter from Winnebago yesterday on a safety recall for a possible defective TriMark main entrance door hatch. The letter said it is possible that the deadbolt plate is not fully staked and, in some cases, can allow the deadbolt to disconnect and extend beyond the door lock assembly.

If this occurs, the door can become inoperable resulting in people being trapped inside or locked out "resulting in the possibility of personal injury and/or vehicle damage."

Anyone else receive this?

It says to make an appointment with a Winnebago dealer and arrange an appointment. The labor time necessary for corrections may be up to an hour.

I am wondering if any authorized Winnebago repairer can do this.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

No. What year, make and model is your MH?
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
No. What year, make and model is your MH?
Mine is a 2015 Minnie Winnie 22R. I forgot to put the years involved. The recall is for 2014 and 2015 model years.

I don't see Meridians listed, although there are some Itascas involved.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:00 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I'm in this one

Yes I got mine on Friday by email from my original dealer. I had seen the NHTSA recall posting earlier and had called Winnebago about it on Thursday. They had not yet linked my MOHO (and didn't seem very up on) the recall.

After talking to Winnebago about this they had me call TriMark who did show my rig as having one of the "at risk" locks. They are sending me the small corrective part that goes on the lock. I was glad about that as I wanted to avoid a 200 mile run to and from my dealer for a minor- but important repair that I think I can easily handle.

I have had a ton of problem with that lock and have in fact been locked in on one occasion while my wife was locked outside.causing me to have to disassemble the lock from the inside to free the door. That was kinda scary. All seems to be working now since I made some repairs.

The TriMark rep was rather comforting and advised that the fix is an easy one with the one part they are sending. If it gets here soon I'll try to post an update.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
Nope...I had the opposite happen while leaving Iowa. The door flew open traveling down a flat highway at 60mph.
DW said "omg, what do I do?". I resisted the obvious and said close the door. Slowing down caused the very heavy foot to swing forward. Maintaining speed allowed her to grab the door and slam shut.

This happened two more times on that ride home. Hasn't happened again in over two years since.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I've had no problems with my door locks, thus far. If a local authorized Winnebago repair shop can't do the repairs, I would have to go 100 miles to San Diego to get it done at my dealer.

I'll check with Winnebago this week and see what they recommend.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I didn't receive a notice but I have issues with my door lock and not being able to open the door from the inside however the wife was outside and was able to open the door.

The Sunova is not mentioned in the recall - here is the link to the Winnebago letter about the NHTSA recall = https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Gc99xQ&cad=rja
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
I didn't receive a notice but I have issues with my door lock and not being able to open the door from the inside however the wife was outside and was able to open the door.

The Sunova is not mentioned in the recall - here is the link to the Winnebago letter about the NHTSA recall = https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Gc99xQ&cad=rja
Bob, your link isn't working.

Try this: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5V510-1826.pdf
Old 11-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
Bob, your link isn't working.

Try this: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5V510-1826.pdf

Thanks, I tried it and for me it downloads the .pdf and it opens it in adobe reader. I am using Firefox so it might make a difference. Nonetheless, thanks for putting one up that should work for everyone.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Safety Recall

I received the recall notice from Winnebago in the mail yesterday. Last week, when I was not home, the dealer where I purchased the 2014 Minnie Winnie 331KP left a phone message about the recall. This morning I contacted TriMark on their web site to see if they would send me the corrective part so I could install it myself. I will post an update after I hear from TriMark. I have not had any problems with our door latch.

MinnieDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:06 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Got an email from TriMark last night and they advised that I must take my unit to an authorized Winnebago dealer to have the door latch inspected and repaired if necessary.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Just another comment. This morning I called Winnebago and was informed that the dealer, (Colton RV) were I purchased my Minnie Winnie in 2014, is no longer an authorized Winnebago dealer.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I just got off the phone with Mitch at Winnebago and he said that any authorized Winnebago service center can handle this. They make the repairs, if needed, and bill TriMark directly. He said this is mainly a TriMark recall, even though it went out on Winnebago's letterhead.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnteacherguy View Post
Nope...I had the opposite happen while leaving Iowa. The door flew open traveling down a flat highway at 60mph.
DW said "omg, what do I do?". I resisted the obvious and said close the door. Slowing down caused the very heavy foot to swing forward. Maintaining speed allowed her to grab the door and slam shut.

This happened two more times on that ride home. Hasn't happened again in over two years since.
LMAO!...
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Repair done

Tri Mark popped the locking mechanism in the mail to me which I really appreciate.Saved me a 200 mile run for repairs at the dealer. They sent the exterior locking mechanism (really the guts of the system) but not the interior plate or the keeper/ strike plate. They may have sent more than i needed?

Took about 15 minutes to swap out. 3 inside bolts and 2 in the jam. Easy peasy.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I took my MH to La Mesa RV in San Diego last Saturday for the recall inspection/work. We had a 10:00 appointment but got there at 9:00 (we stayed the night before at Campland On The Bay). After we checked in, we went out to breakfast. When we were nearly done eating, I received a call from La Mesa saying that all was done and the MH was ready for pick-up.

I am pleased with La Mesa's service.

We spent the rest of the day at Sea World.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

In case someone has not already posted, here's some info directly from the recall notice:

Winnebago Industries, Inc. and TriMark Corporation has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain 2014 and 2015 model year Winnebago Minnie Winnie®, Trend™, Brave™, and Vista® and Itasca Spirit®, Viva!™, Tribute™, and Sunstar® (Models: WC325B, WF322R, WF325B,WF327Q, WF327QP, WF331H, WF331HP, WF331K, WF331KP, WFA26A, WFA26B, WFE26HE,WFE31KE, WU623B, WU623L, IC325B, IF322R, IF325B, IF327Q, IF327QP, IF331H, IF331HP,IF331K, IF331KP, IFA26A, IFA26B, IFE26HE, IFE31KE, IU623B, and IU623L) motorhomes.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:32 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
In case someone has not already posted, here's some info directly from the recall notice:

Winnebago Industries, Inc. and TriMark Corporation has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain 2014 and 2015 model year Winnebago Minnie Winnie®, Trend™, Brave™, and Vista® and Itasca Spirit®, Viva!™, Tribute™, and Sunstar® (Models: WC325B, WF322R, WF325B,WF327Q, WF327QP, WF331H, WF331HP, WF331K, WF331KP, WFA26A, WFA26B, WFE26HE,WFE31KE, WU623B, WU623L, IC325B, IF322R, IF325B, IF327Q, IF327QP, IF331H, IF331HP,IF331K, IF331KP, IFA26A, IFA26B, IFE26HE, IFE31KE, IU623B, and IU623L) motorhomes.
Ken, links were posted but yours is the first with the list of affected models. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I no longer have a class A, but when I did I was always concerned about the entry door latch malfunctioning after hearing of these Trimark latch problems. Since the coach did not have a driver's door we would keep the front passenger side window unlatched to allow entry if needed. You couldn't really tell from the outside it was unlatched so that provided some peace of mind. I'm back to a class C and like knowing I have two doors on the cab should the entry door fail.

Tags
recall, safety, winnebago