Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago & DEF

I just purchased a used 2014 Journey 36M during the orientation the dealer pointed to the DEF tank and said "that's the DEF tank". I knew little about DEF then but I know now.
DEF helps to reduce pollution from diesel fuel, I think that is a good idea and I'm for anything that helps the environment.

The problem occurred when I discovered the tank on the passenger side is not compatible with truck stops that have the fill on drivers side so you have to go in he opposite direction to fill it which makes the truckers mad and I can't blame them.

The solution is I now have a 5 gallon container and fill it when I get diesel then walk around to the passenger side and fill the tank it is a bit more trouble but an easy fix to a design flaw.

When I trade my 2014 I will be sure to have the DEF on the drivers side.
lee3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #2

I'm new to this too, and you're right. The Tour that we looked at had DEF on the passenger side, but ours ended up on the drivers side. I still have to pull forward to reach it, but never gave which side a second thought. That would be kind of a pain.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
aa1ssradio

Ours is the same way. I don't fret about it. I just carry a box of def with me and usuallly fil it when we are in a campground somewhere.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee3100 View Post
I just purchased a used 2014 Journey 36M during the orientation the dealer pointed to the DEF tank and said "that's the DEF tank". I knew little about DEF then but I know now.
DEF helps to reduce pollution from diesel fuel, I think that is a good idea and I'm for anything that helps the environment.

The problem occurred when I discovered the tank on the passenger side is not compatible with truck stops that have the fill on drivers side so you have to go in he opposite direction to fill it which makes the truckers mad and I can't blame them.

The solution is I now have a 5 gallon container and fill it when I get diesel then walk around to the passenger side and fill the tank it is a bit more trouble but an easy fix to a design flaw.

When I trade my 2014 I will be sure to have the DEF on the drivers side.

I have a 2013 36M love the floor plan. my DEF is like yours on the wrong side at truck stops like Flying J ETC: But i also use the 5 Gal can methiod but went to the hardware store and picked up a dc powered turkey fryer oil pump and it works great to pump the DF out of the can (sure beats holding it up under the slide out when you are filling it up at the camp site) I also have seen them at outdoor world or pro Bass.

Rick From FLA
Rick FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #5

anyone know how much these hold on the Winnebago? Mine was reading 1/2 on the dash, but only took $8. That's the only time I've had to fill it. We have the 400 ISL.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

2013 42E has a 8 gallon tank.
Used to fill up at flying J, but like you said had to pull forward with compartment door open and try not to hit anything.
We have recently changed to when it shows 2 bars (1/2 Tank) we just pick up 2.5 Gallons at Wal-Mart and add.
Wal-Mart store brand DEF is 7.88 for 2.5 gallons, so just over 3.00 per gallon and much easier to do at campsite then at truck pump.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid1 View Post
2013 42E has a 8 gallon tank.
Used to fill up at flying J, but like you said had to pull forward with compartment door open and try not to hit anything.
We have recently changed to when it shows 2 bars (1/2 Tank) we just pick up 2.5 Gallons at Wal-Mart and add.
Wal-Mart store brand DEF is 7.88 for 2.5 gallons, so just over 3.00 per gallon and much easier to do at campsite then at truck pump.
Thanks Paul!
Old 07-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I too have a DEF tank on the wrong side. What I have done at truck stops is to fill from the DEF pump on the lane to the right of me if there is no truck there. I have also driven in from the wrong direction, but most truck stops I have seen are too busy to be able to do this.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I too have a DEF tank on the wrong side. What I have done at truck stops is to fill from the DEF pump on the lane to the right of me if there is no truck there. I have also driven in from the wrong direction, but most truck stops I have seen are too busy to be able to do this.
Our 2011 Meridian 34Y doesn't have a DEF tank, but I'm curious. Doesn't yours have the dual fuel fill? We can fill our gas tank from either side of the RV.
Newbie31ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Ours is the same way. I don't fret about it. I just carry a box of def with me and usuallly fil it when we are in a campground somewhere.

Same here. Not a big deal, but would be better if DEF tank on the left side.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie31ul View Post
Our 2011 Meridian 34Y doesn't have a DEF tank, but I'm curious. Doesn't yours have the dual fuel fill? We can fill our gas tank from either side of the RV.
I think the problem is the DEF is usually on the left in the trucking lanes, so unless you back into it, it doesn't matter that you can fuel on either side.

I must have the only Winne Model with DEF on the left.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie31ul View Post
How do you not have a DEF tank? This was required for all chassis' manufactured after Jan 1, 2010. We have a 2011 Journey Express 34Y as well, there is an 8 gallon DEF tank in a rear passenger side compartment, second from the back. The DEF guage is a series of four lights in the lower center of the console display (four lit is full, one bar - you better find some DEF very soon). We also have dual side fuel which is very nice, I don't mind dealing with DEF at all. Have refilled at truck stops, and also via box, using long funnel helps.
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerPower View Post
How do you not have a DEF tank? This was required for all chassis' manufactured after Jan 1, 2010. We have a 2011 Journey Express 34Y as well, there is an 8 gallon DEF tank in a rear passenger side compartment, second from the back. The DEF guage is a series of four lights in the lower center of the console display (four lit is full, one bar - you better find some DEF very soon). We also have dual side fuel which is very nice, I don't mind dealing with DEF at all. Have refilled at truck stops, and also via box, using long funnel helps.

The DEF requirement is on engines manufactured after 1/1/2010. The chassis builders stockpiled engines in advance of the change. Then Winnebago stockpiled chassis using engines built before 2010. Took a while to filter down.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I think you are barking up the wrong tree, Winnebago buys the chassis from freightliner - they put the def on the passenger side
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

To help put this all to bed, you can blame the Chassis builder for that. What they did in the beginning was to use the space that the basement AC used, on the Passenger side. As the industry mad this mandatory for all diesels they followed suite of the big rigs and put it on the drivers side to allow you fill at the Big Kid Pumps.
A lot of you have already figured it out, buy your self a 2.5 gallon can of DEF and then keep the box to fill it up at the truck stops and top off your tank when you get a chance. You should, in theory, be able to go 10k miles or about once a year, before having to fill it up.
You can fill the tank at every Oil change and should be good.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I don't know the why, but we don't have one. Our chassis is a 2010, but it's a 2011 Itasca Meridian 34y.
Newbie31ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

From what I have read the proposal was to put the DEF pumps on the right side of the service station lane. So the manufacturers built the tank on the side the pumps were supposed to go. Later the decision was changed so the pump was on the left side. Unfortunately the chassis built with the tank on the right side were now incorrect.

I think all chassis are now built with the tank on the left.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:59 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
From what I have read the proposal was to put the DEF pumps on the right side of the service station lane. So the manufacturers built the tank on the side the pumps were supposed to go. Later the decision was changed so the pump was on the left side. Unfortunately the chassis built with the tank on the right side were now incorrect.

I think all chassis are now built with the tank on the left.
It just makes more sense. Because we have left hand drive vehicles. Yeah it's a PITA for MH drivers because our door is on the right side, so we have to walk all the way around to the other side but what the hey.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:22 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

My 2015 Forza has the tank on the left side. No issue for me I just pull up further after filling the diesel tank and then top off the DEF tank.
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
My 2015 Forza has the tank on the left side. No issue for me I just pull up further after filling the diesel tank and then top off the DEF tank.
My one and only time I tried, I pulled forward, only to find I couldn't get the hatch open because I was too close to the pump. I'm sure the trucker behind me was rolling his eyes, especially when he saw the temporary plates on the back of the rig

Tags
winnebago