Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 06:25 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

What is DEF?

Could some one please elaborate and explain what it means and whats it for... Thanks
ke4jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4jr View Post
Could some one please elaborate and explain what it means and whats it for... Thanks

DEF is "diesel exhaust fluid". It is specifically designed to inject into a reaction chamber in the exhaust system for the purpose of reducing the level of NOX in the exhaust to levels required by the EPA. All engines built after 1/1/2010 must comply with those levels. By stockpiling engines built before 2010, the chassis builders effectively put off this requirement for motorhomes until the 2011 model year. DEF is sold at big box stores and truck stops primarily. In terms of EPA requirements, Diesel engines had 3 major dates when big requirements were imposed:

1. 1/1/2004 was when the first round of NOX reduction took place. The primary device used was EGR (exhaust gas recirculation).
2. 1/1/2007 was when the mandate for ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel) took effect and the requirement for a DPF (diesel particulate filter) was required. These two events were tied together because ULSD kept the sulphur in the fuel from destroying the DPF. Again this took place in motorhomes with the '08 model year.
3. 1/1/2010 was the mandate for a major reduction in NOX. The primary tool was the usage of DEF to react with the exhaust stream.

These three steps along with many smaller incremental steps have driven the cost of a Diesel engine by nearly 100%.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
My one and only time I tried, I pulled forward, only to find I couldn't get the hatch open because I was too close to the pump. I'm sure the trucker behind me was rolling his eyes, especially when he saw the temporary plates on the back of the rig
While filling the diesel tank I open the hatch to give me access to the DEF. I leave it open when moving ahead. It does a couple things as I move forward. Gives me a visual when the DEF tank is close to the pump (generally a fairly short hose) and keeps me far enough away from the pump. So far have not embarrassed myself by having to move a second time to fill DEF.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
I think you are barking up the wrong tree, Winnebago buys the chassis from freightliner - they put the def on the passenger side
Everyone forgets that a DP motorhome chassis starts it's life as a truck chassis - with the radiator in the front (which is the back on a motorhome). That would put the DEF tank on the driver's side in a truck configuration and on the passenger side on the motorhome version of the chassis.

Freightliner was finally forced to relocate the DEF tank to the other side to satisfy the motorhome side of their business. 2013 built motorhome chassis were the first ones to have the tank relocated.

If you have a tank on the passenger side, use the 2.5 gallon jugs to fill it (easier to use). If you have a tank on the driver's side - please pull forward to the DEF pump.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Everyone forgets that a DP motorhome chassis starts it's life as a truck chassis - with the radiator in the front (which is the back on a motorhome). That would put the DEF tank on the driver's side in a truck configuration and on the passenger side on the motorhome version of the chassis.

Freightliner was finally forced to relocate the DEF tank to the other side to satisfy the motorhome side of their business. 2013 built motorhome chassis were the first ones to have the tank relocated.

If you have a tank on the passenger side, use the 2.5 gallon jugs to fill it (easier to use). If you have a tank on the driver's side - please pull forward to the DEF pump.
There's more to it than that - The side radiator chassis complicated things on the drivers side as well (Spartan).
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago