Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

winne windshield leak

Hi all posted this yesterday but being a newby i cant find it. Just purchased a 2003 winn. brave 32v on workhouse with chev. 8.1 with 18000 mi.. Have found problems that seem to be common on this mh. Brakes are good, water heater check valve faulty, have removed the guts and it is now working. Main remaining problem is a leak in windshield anyone have any experience with this problem. Thanking you in advance.
john5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
sip
Winnebago Camper

I took my unit to the factory and they ran it through their water unit, found it and fixed it almost on the spot. You need to get it stopped before the window steel frame starts to rust or you will have problems from now on out.
sip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for response. Did you make appointment first?
john5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5 View Post
Hi all posted this yesterday but being a newby i cant find it. Just purchased a 2003 winn. brave 32v on workhouse with chev. 8.1 with 18000 mi.. Have found problems that seem to be common on this mh. Brakes are good, water heater check valve faulty, have removed the guts and it is now working. Main remaining problem is a leak in windshield anyone have any experience with this problem. Thanking you in advance.
the part number for the camco all brass water heater check valve is 23303. it costs about $9. i don't know about the w/s leak.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
sip
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5 View Post
Thanks for response. Did you make appointment first?
Yes, need to get on the list for the bath tank. They found that the rust had built up so much it was either try a quick patch or cut and replace steel. The patch worked but I now have a new Journey.
sip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I bought a black butyl material at Autozone that is rolled into a small rope and pushed into the crack to seal it. That is a temporary fix as far as I am concerned though.

When I get a chance to go back to the factory to have the windshield replaced (it is cracked at the top ) they will check for rust behind the windshield and take of it then.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You don't have to go to the factory to have the windshield frame repaired and/or glass replaced. But having new glass available there would mean you don't have to have it shipped into wherever you are. We had ours replaced at a dealer ...they normally call in a glass place to handle the windshields. Based on our experience (it was a dealer disaster!), I would attempt cleaning and repair of the metal frame first by removing the rubber moulding to get to it (the rubber moulding just pops out of a channel that is secured by double sided tape ...the rubbe moulding IS NOT a part of the windshield water seal). If the glass has to be removed to repair the metal, there is very little chance they can remove it without breaking the glass.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
You don't have to go to the factory to have the windshield frame repaired and/or glass replaced. But having new glass available there would mean you don't have to have it shipped into wherever you are. We had ours replaced at a dealer ...they normally call in a glass place to handle the windshields. Based on our experience (it was a dealer disaster!), I would attempt cleaning and repair of the metal frame first by removing the rubber moulding to get to it (the rubber moulding just pops out of a channel that is secured by double sided tape ...the rubbe moulding IS NOT a part of the windshield water seal). If the glass has to be removed to repair the metal, there is very little chance they can remove it without breaking the glass.
I had the passenger side windshield replaced at the factory for two reasons.

I hoped they would do a better job than the average bear. It had a stress crack (as does the divers side) and I hoped the factory would take care of any rust issues.

We wanted to go the Grand National Rally.

The same two reasons apply for the next replacement.