Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Windshield wipers won't keep running

We have a 2004 Vectra on a Freighterliner chassis. The wipers will run for a period of time in the on mode. When they stop if I go out and unplug the wiper motor and plug it back in they will run for an unpredictable short period then i must repeat the process. It seems like they run longer in the beginning but once the problems starts i have not been able to correct it. Any suggestions?
Dirtydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

since no other replies I will give you my .02 for what it's worth. Sounds like the wiper motor relay is tripping (most likely from heat/weakness) and resets for a short period when you unplug the harness before tripping again. This seems logical and is where I would start, have no idea where it would be located on your unit but tracing the wiring should get you to it.. Good luck
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I might guess that it is heat related and that is often something that takes longer to heat at first try and far less on repeated tries. Not sure I think of relay but I might think of a breaker tripping but not a big truck guy at all and so "I'm not at all sure there would be a breaker that would reset??? One thing to consider is if the wiper motor itself feels hot. Perhaps some simple ideas to look at sorting it out?
Would it be easy enough to take the load off the wiper motor by removing some linkage or the wiper blade arms? Heat related may come around far quicker if the motor is working hard so removing the load might indicate the motor needs replaced/repaired if it works far better without a load? Another small idea might be to remove the wiper blades only and try lubing any linkage you can see and get to with a bit of WD-40, lithium, etc.?
Just some thoughts without any real experience on that one. Somewhat close to a WAG if you know what I mean! Not meant to be really goood advise if somebody else comes along.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks we have tried your suggestions already and they were not the answer but thanks for your reply
Old 12-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your suggestion
Old 12-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #6

Hi have the sister ship (Itasca Horizon 40AD) and I too have my wiper motor on watch. Or maybe it's my wiper switch on the steering wheel? I hope not.

I doubt the wiper motor has seen that much action, but it is a 15 year old vehicle (soon). In my case, the "Intermittent" wiper button and function works fine, but the "Wiper ON" button is acting up.

This just started. And I do not have a solution as I stored the RV for the winter. But it is on my radar for this April when I pull the coach out of storage.

I am very interested at knowing what do do about this problem...

All I can add is that my "Wipper On Button" sometimes works and sometimes requires several quick pulses to get it to turn on.

Further, I believe the function of this button also controls the wiper speed. ...And you do that by pressing it in rapid succession. So my guess, without looking closer at my problem, is that the steering wheel (aka "Smart Wheel") is the source of the problem. ...But the switch talks to the relay. And the relay I believe has higher odds of failure.

Can anyone explain how the wiper speed (Low/High) function works and or has a schematic of the "Smart Wheel" wiper function?

I all know is that the Freightliner "Smart Wheel" is an OEM System Freightliner buys from someone else, but again I don't have more to add in this area.

So I will stay tuned to this thread and remain hopeful someone can help us figure out a "fix" to this wiper button or relay or motor problem?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote