Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a 1 month old 2008 Tour that had the driver's side windshield wiper fly past the window while traveling down the highway and get stuck there. While I continued down the highway waiting for a rest area, the wiper go pushed down farther by the wind and scraped the painted window pillar and scuffed the front end. Once I stopped, I was able to force the wiper back into position and then it parked itself normally.

As long as I was going 25 MPH or less, the windshield wipers worked great. When going 45 MPH, the driver's side wiper started to fly off. I was afraid to use them at 65 MPH for fear that it would go past the window again and get stuck there.

I brought it back to the dealer to get this and some other warranty work done. I called him today and he said that Winnebago stated that this was a known problem and they had a fix for it.

Does anyone know what this known problem and fix is? Is there a way to see if there are any other known problems with this coach that I should know about? I wish the dealer had taken care of this prior to me picking up the coach. It would have made it a much more enjoyable ride from New Orleans to Tampa in the rain.

Thanks in advance for any information you may have.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 1 month old 2008 Tour that had the driver's side windshield wiper fly past the window while traveling down the highway and get stuck there. While I continued down the highway waiting for a rest area, the wiper go pushed down farther by the wind and scraped the painted window pillar and scuffed the front end. Once I stopped, I was able to force the wiper back into position and then it parked itself normally.

As long as I was going 25 MPH or less, the windshield wipers worked great. When going 45 MPH, the driver's side wiper started to fly off. I was afraid to use them at 65 MPH for fear that it would go past the window again and get stuck there.

I brought it back to the dealer to get this and some other warranty work done. I called him today and he said that Winnebago stated that this was a known problem and they had a fix for it.

Does anyone know what this known problem and fix is? Is there a way to see if there are any other known problems with this coach that I should know about? I wish the dealer had taken care of this prior to me picking up the coach. It would have made it a much more enjoyable ride from New Orleans to Tampa in the rain.

Thanks in advance for any information you may have.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's a darn shame to pay that much for a rig and have something like that happen. My disgust factor would go thru the roof!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Bill, click on the magnifier glass above and do an advanced search for keyword "wiper blade", all forums, for the past month. There was a recent poster having the same problems... The solution was to buy a wiper blade that had a lot of holes in the metal frame. -Apparently the solid frame wipers, even the ones with an 'airfoil' on them, get hung up by the vast amount of wind deflected on the coach windshield. The "hole" theory lets the wiper ride on the glass without catching the wind.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. My service center said that it is fixed. I will let you know what the fix is after I pick it up on Saturday.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Had the same problem but mine was on the passengers side. The factory fixed mine by shortening the piece that connected the wiper and the motor. The section from the motor to the wiper was to long.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Just picked up my coach today. The factory fix is to either shorten or lengthen the linkage from the motor to the wiper. In my case, they had to shorten the linkage like LHyzer indicated. I tried it out at the dealer. It seems to stop well short of the edge of the window. Hopefully it will clear enough of the window when raining. Now I will have to see if I have any issues with it when driving at highway speeds.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I just got back from a trip with the coach. We ran into rain yesterday so I got to try out the windshield wiper fix on the highway. I was driving 65 MPH and they worked great. They cleared enough of the window to see just fine and they never seemed to lift up off of the window. I am satisfied with the fix the dealer performed.