Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Windshield wiper pivot post

I have a broken pivot post it is the one that the wiper attaches to. This is on a 2007 journey. I called around looking for a replacement and can't find one. Winnebago does not offer an alternative. Does anyone have an idea where to get one or an alternative fix. The threaded part on the top broke off while removing wiper arm. My thought was to face off and drill and tap a hole. Not sure if it would be strong enough. Any suggestions
earnerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I might guess it to be a pretty standard truck wiper item, not RV specific, so lead me to looking at salvage yards?
If you know what chassis the Rv is built on, that might be a start to call yards looking for an old truck and then take this item to match up?
Normally the chassis is sent to Winnebago as a stripped model and the rest is added.

But there is a fari amount of guessing in there!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

A picture of what is broken would help, as I have no idea what broke so no suggestions.

My wipers have a nut/washer that clamps the wiper base on with those grooves on taper to help locate the arm correctly.

surely you did not break off the threaded portion of that large groove/taper ??

GL
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

That is exactly what broke. Just like it says in what I posted.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

NOT obvious as describing it as a taper fit &/or with grooved shaft (my wiper has 2 arms, 1 taper the other NOT) seems more exact and descriptive OR a picture.

and besides what exactly is 'broken' about it, the thread for nut, the grooved spline - how the H$%LL did you mess that up ???

GL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earnerj View Post
That is exactly what broke. Just like it says in what I posted.
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Good morning earnerj - I just ordered a similar part for my 2006 Ellipse 40FD. The passenger wiper was loose and that mounting stud seems to have worn out threads. I found the Winnebago parts book for my model on their website, downloaded it, found the breakdown of wiper assembly parts and then began researching the numbers I found. The part I was looking for is called the

6 149395-01-000 EA STUD/DOUBLE BALL CRANK - WIPER MOTOR

I found some websites that came close, but I do not trust Amazon too much anymore, so I called Mobility RV. They are in Iowa and their website is winnebagoparts.com. I called the number - 800-933-7742 - spoke with the guy there and ordered the part. I needed to have the last half of the motorhome's VIN so we could make sure I got the correct part.

Very helpful and the part was in stock. Total cost was less than $40 with shipping, took a little over a week to receive the package.

[email protected] is the email to contact the company.
Hope that they can help you out.

Russ
06ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

In case the copied text was confusing, the number "6" is the item in the parts breakdown I looked at.

"149395-01-000" is the actual Winnebago part number I searched on and spoke to Mobility RV about.

Russ
Old 10-21-2021, 09:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you Russ. I just ordered mine.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Your welcome, I hope your result is as good as mine was.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:44 PM   #10
2002 Journey WPK36GD

The piece I think you are referring to is the parallelogram pivot. It has a small nut on a rather delicate threaded shaft and is bolted to the chassis from the inside of my 2002 Journey. I too called around most of the USA for a week when mine broke in San Antonio but no one had the part. I called a local machinist SW of the city and said he would make one for less that $50. I took him the part and showed him and he said no problem. I had him make two out of Stainless Steel. Price was $75 for the both of them. Has worked perfect for the last three seasons.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:54 PM   #11
Itasca Meridian 32T

Would he be willing to do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesMoore View Post
The piece I think you are referring to is the parallelogram pivot. It has a small nut on a rather delicate threaded shaft and is bolted to the chassis from the inside of my 2002 Journey. I too called around most of the USA for a week when mine broke in San Antonio but no one had the part. I called a local machinist SW of the city and said he would make one for less that $50. I took him the part and showed him and he said no problem. I had him make two out of Stainless Steel. Price was $75 for the both of them. Has worked perfect for the last three seasons.

CharlesMoore,
I was wondering if you would give us the contact info for this machinist?
I Think it may come in handy, Although it's been a few years, I wonder if he can or would be interested in making more, Assuming he is still in business.

IMDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:26 AM   #12
2002 Journey WPK36GD

I never imagined that people could not find a machinist that would do this work so I never really took note. I took him my part and he duplicated it. The only hiccup was that he cut metric threads where the cap nut goes because my part was broken off.. I went to an Ace Hardware in a small town and they had the SS cap nuts in metric. I am quite sure that the outfit below is where I got it made but I did not have any paperwork I could immediately find. Don't be discouraged by what the place looks like if you google it - I almost was too intimidated to go in past the roaming dog. This is a way out country place. He came out to greet me as I called first. If you want to email me I will try to get to the RV and take pictures of what I have. Mic out your part and send it to him: he may remember me but I doubt it. This is the best I can do.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+antonio+texas

J & H Machine Works
5.01 Google review
Machine shop in Bexar County, Texas
Address: 4782 Higdon Rd, San Antonio, TX 78223
Hours: [COLOR=rgba(176,96,0,1.0)]Opens soon[/COLOR] ⋅ 7:30AM
Phone: (210) 633-0225
Old 10-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #13
Itasca Meridian 32T

CharlesMoore,
Thank's for the info. I don't currently have a need for the part, but will save this info for future reference I was intrigued by your use of stainless steel for the replacement. Seemed like a good choice.
Thank you.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:12 PM   #14
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
CharlesMoore,
Thank's for the info. I don't currently have a need for the part, but will save this info for future reference I was intrigued by your use of stainless steel for the replacement. Seemed like a good choice.
Thank you.
----------------------------------------------------------------

We shall see if it was a good choice using SS. Stainless Steel can work harden and become brittle but if done correctly it should be better than the original. I used a dab of Locktite blue. I hope to never have to take it off again. The thread fit to cap nut was very good so with the locktite I did not tighten it much - just a few inch ozs.

I almost had 10 made and now wish I had done so. I could have sold them all on eBay in minutes. Perhaps some entrepreneur will contact this guy and have some made up. I know there is a guy in Austin who contributes all the time. I should be very near here in early January so I might drop in on the machinist.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:32 PM   #15
Itasca Meridian 32T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesMoore View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------

We shall see if it was a good choice using SS. Stainless Steel can work harden and become brittle but if done correctly it should be better than the original. I used a dab of Locktite blue. I hope to never have to take it off again. The thread fit to cap nut was very good so with the locktite I did not tighten it much - just a few inch ozs.

I almost had 10 made and now wish I had done so. I could have sold them all on eBay in minutes. Perhaps some entrepreneur will contact this guy and have some made up. I know there is a guy in Austin who contributes all the time. I should be very near here in early January so I might drop in on the machinist.

If you have to replace the windshield they may and probably will remove the wiper to do it.

Making parts that aren't available is sometimes the only way to handle a problem, and the cost you paid was IMO very reasonable. I would give them my return business for sure.
And thanks for sharing it on this forum. Now if only he had the program still in his CNC machine to duplicate it. I guess that is how it was done. Maybe he just turned it on a lathe?